No Big Updates to Android OS Until 2015

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok, and iOS innovates at what pace compared to Android, oh yeah much, much, much slower. In fact iOS has to rip off Android and WinMobile so much that it looks like a love child from those two. Still if they are going to make a major overhaul let it be while they can properly build it out.

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Eh, it's not that big of a deal really. Average consumers are just now getting used to the UI that 4.0 presented. If Google refines, changes some colors, etc, I'll be fine with waiting until 2015 for something radically different.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Google already proved that they can do big updates without updating the OS with a revamp. That might be were the future is going.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I doubt this. As good as Android's design is, it's almost two years old. Google will not wait four years to keep the OS up to date visually.

I would expect some fairly substantial visual changes with 5.0, with the 'contextual' OS elements coming in 5.1 or even 6.0. Matias Duarte has made clear that android still isn't where he wants it, and some of the more obscure elements of 4.1-4.3 (like the clock app, for example) give an idea of possible directions it may go.