Can we expect the new Nexus phone to be priced like the N4?

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No question, the nexus 4 pricing is one of the main contributors to its success. The idea that a phone like the Nexus 4 could be had for near contract price without the contract was awesome, and something I want to be part of next time around.

Can we expect Google to run with this successful pricing and do it again with the nexus 5? Is the pricing of the new Nexus 7 any indication? Or will we see Google "get real" and simply make partnerships with carriers and price their new phone like most others for a higher profit margin?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I think that comes down to the manufacturer. If the rumor is true and the next Nexus is made by Moto, then Google can control the pricing better.
If it is made by somebody else there is no guarantee they will or can subsidize the pricing again.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I really hope it is price similarly. I have a feeling it may be a little higher than last year's price points. Hopefully they ditch the 8 gig model and offer a 16gb for 349 and a 32gb for 399. That may just be wishful dreaming on my part though:)

Sent from my Google Play Edition HTC ONE.

anon(5384869)

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
+1 on the additional storage. Call me old fashioned but I much prefer drawing from storage over streaming, so I would really love a 32 gig model.

Going back to the OP, the new Nexus 7 is my shining hope that the N5 will be priced aggressively low. At least not $600. It's harder to integrate into a contract free world when phones are so damn expensive, and I hope that Google continues their message about contract free life with their nexus line by easing theater financial decision. I would happily pay 400 for a Nexus 5.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Look at the price premium for LTE on Nexus 7, I think LTE nextus will cost a fair bit more than Nexus 4

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4

junglejunkie

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Look at the price premium for LTE on Nexus 7, I think LTE nextus will cost a fair bit more than Nexus 4

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4
Well the premium on the Nexus 7 included cellular radios in general (which happens to ALSO be LTE).

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Most likely. The nexus is a dev phone first and a phone for everyone else second. It will more than likely be as cheap as possible and be gimpt on storage or something else. This way devs can buy it for cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I535

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Definitely. All new phones which are from popular series of phones are very expensive.

You just contradicted yourself. You said yes, it will be priced low like the Nexus 4, then you said popular new phones are always expensive.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Most likely. The nexus is a dev phone first and a phone for everyone else second. It will more than likely be as cheap as possible and be gimpt on storage or something else. This way devs can buy it for cheap.

Sent from my SCH-I535

To tell you the truth because Android updates move so slow and is so limited you really dont need a Nexus phone for developing. Also unless you are using specific functions that only exist on cell phones a Nexus tablet is just as adequate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see the next Nexus priced similar to the current Nexus 4, but it's going to be difficult to do, esp. if it's made by Motorola.

The vanilla Android phone landscape is much different than it was a year ago when the Nexus 4 came out. While not vanilla Android, the Moto X is pretty close to it. I don't think Google would sell a presumably higher-spec'd (or at least similar spec'd to the Moto X) new Nexus device for a couple hundred less than the Moto X they'd also be selling.

And what about the GPE HTC One and Samsung S4? If they sold the next Nexus for around $300/$350, there would be little reason for people to buy the GPE HTC and Samsung products, right? I'd imagine the HTC and Samsung folks wouldn't be too thrilled at that. They can do it currently because the Nexus 4 is a little outdated relative to the Moto X, GPE One and S4, but that would (likely) not be the case with next Nexus.

Maybe, as I think someone else at AC also theorized, they'll do a mild refresh of the current N4 at around the current price, and also introduce a new, higher end Nexus priced similar to the GPE phones.