10-16-2013 01:17 PM
34 12
tools
    Nope not really the next big thing.
    I think Haalcyon is being sarcastic using big as in size.
    10-12-2013 04:28 PM
    There is always something down the road:
    Have Smart Phones Matured to the Point where there is no next big thing?-readius-cell-phone-final-conflict.jpg

Fans of science fiction writer William Gibson will also be impressed; in his 1986 novel Count Zero, Gibson wrote about an amazing cell phone with a screen that unfolded like a butterfly's wings:

He took an elegant modular unit from the bag and placed it in front of her. A paper thin polycarbon screen unfurled silently from the top of the unit and immediately grew rigid. She had once watched a butterfly emerge into the world, and seen the transformation of its drying wings. 'How is that done?' she asked, tentatively touching the screen."
    from: Readius Cell Phone 5-Inch Fold Out Display: Science Fiction in the News

In reality:
    cameras will get better and do away with point and shoots and the idea of focus will change
    it will be 99% software. Your apps will slowly start costing more and more but will do more and more.
    battery life will need a moon shot (tesla will figure it out I hope)
    OLED will be the standard and work like on the Moto X.
    and perhaps the most important: the wireless carriers will get more coverage and more bandwidth and I hope provide more competition for the "last mile" issue.
    10-14-2013 01:37 AM
    Hopefully no and that LG G2 with step design battery means next year mean larger batteries in smaller phones.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-14-2013 11:19 AM
    Most of the best ideas here are 5 or 10+ years off. (foldable screens that go rigid are 20+ years away if we don't blow ourselves up first) Is there really a burning reason to get the latest and greatest anymore? If your GS3 is working fine a year from now, will the GS5 or GS4 be that much better to rush out and buy it? I am thinking in a year I can buy a fresh battery for it and be good to go for a few more years.

As an example, the desktop I am working on now I built with top of the line parts. It is 3 plus years old and does anything a new computer can do - at least that I would ever want to do. So I plan I keeping it until it wears out. However the computer I built in 2000 was obsolete in 3 years and had to be upgraded.
    Donald Schipani likes this.
    10-15-2013 10:01 AM
    Most of the best ideas here are 5 or 10+ years off. (foldable screens that go rigid are 20+ years away if we don't blow ourselves up first) Is there really a burning reason to get the latest and greatest anymore? If your GS3 is working fine a year from now, will the GS5 or GS4 be that much better to rush out and buy it? I am thinking in a year I can buy a fresh battery for it and be good to go for a few more years.

As an example, the desktop I am working on now I built with top of the line parts. It is 3 plus years old and does anything a new computer can do - at least that I would ever want to do. So I plan I keeping it until it wears out. However the computer I built in 2000 was obsolete in 3 years and had to be upgraded.
    I honestly think that the one x and gs3 generation was the first generation good fluid devices that will age well. Everything before them was laggy and compromised in multiple areas.

I think foldable screens that become rigid are definitely less than 10 years off though. Micro and nano tech is advancing at incredible speeds. It wont be long until reasonably rigid frames that can be folded and controlled with electrical current will be possible. The only question in my mind is whether or not some sort of projection of holographic interface might surface first and beat it out.
    10-15-2013 11:21 AM
    Nope not really the next big thing.
    That's subjective though, as was my initial response.

from my '14 Note 10.1
    10-15-2013 11:56 AM
    That's subjective though, as was my initial response.

from my '14 Note 10.1
    No it really isn't subjective.
    10-15-2013 11:58 AM
    I think the Note 3 proves there's still a Next Big Thing...and the One Max is right behind it...and there's the Nexus 5 too.
    Nexuscillin. .
    So you weren't being sarcastic... What makes the Note 3 the next big thing in your opinion? I know with the bigger screen it is able to do some tablet type stuff, but screen size and a pointer pen are more feature choices than leaps in current technology.

Some other things it offers are more incremental improvements rather then "must have" tech making my phone out of date:

It's size allows a bigger battery and a bit more battery life.
    It has a faster processor, but I have never noticed a need for a faster process on my GS3
    The camera is bit better than most phones

I am not dissing the phone, it is a fine option for someone that wants tablet/phone functionality.
    10-16-2013 09:53 AM
    MojaveHigh, all great, great points.
    10-16-2013 01:17 PM
34 12