What's a guy to do? (buy new device or wait) ????

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I thinking of a new s-phone this Christmas, as my 2-yr runs out w/ Verizon. I plan to reup w/ them but am stuck on what device, if any I should consider...or wait for.

I presently have an HTC Rezound which will go to wife so I will be in the market for a new s-phone. I really like the Sammy S4 and the HTC One (nn), but I am not sure 12/2013 is a good time to buy. I am particularly concerned with if there is a new awesome device that will make my 12/2013 purchase look stupid and dwarfed in capabilities/improvements, etc.

I am also impressed by the Sammy Note 3 w/ a stylus. More importantly, for this old guy with bad closeup eyesight, I appreciate a LARGE screen.

I don't mind widebody (read: prefer), as I am not very good at thumbing my way around due to a physical disability, hence I am a two-hander using a pen as my pointing/selecting tool.

What's a guy to do?:-\

Thank you in advance.

DWS

Last edited:

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
More importantly, for this old guy with bad closeup eyesight, I appreciate a LARGE screen."
You don't hear this enough, but you should. It is very important to me.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
G2. It's a phone, not a tablet (like the Note). Screen is beautiful, battery life fantastic, performance off the chart.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The issue with waiting to see what is coming next is that something better is always coming next. Some are able to decide without issue what they want, and others are never happy. If you absolutely intent on upgrading this year, make a choice that you think you will be happy with, if you can wait for the next batch of announcements, wait and see. I know I am not eligible for upgrade until April, but will wait until the GS5 is announced before making any decisions myself.

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you Mr. Friderichsohn, not too many people admit it, I guess. I hate having to have my reading glasses on, then have to remove them to talk w/someone, then put back on to continue reading on my phone. Vicious cycle. ...and don;t even mention anything about hearing, 'cause I guarantee you I'll just say "What?", or "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you". As the song goes "What a drag it is getting old" !
Btw, your name appears to me as one that goes way back, true? Medieval maybe?
Also, I love the Pink Panther series. What a great actor.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you wait, you'll always be waiting. There's always something newer right around the corner.

When you're ready, look at all the available options.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Are there any guesstimates on when the GS5 will be on the market??

Some rumors are saying announced in January, on sale in February. If this is true, anticipate another 2 months after that for US versions. I think that is a bit early though based on the s3 and s4 dates.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Gary Friderichsohn

May 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you Mr. Friderichsohn, not too many people admit it, I guess. I hate having to have my reading glasses on, then have to remove them to talk w/someone, then put back on to continue reading on my phone. Vicious cycle. ...and don;t even mention anything about hearing, 'cause I guarantee you I'll just say "What?", or "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you". As the song goes "What a drag it is getting old" !
Btw, your name appears to me as one that goes way back, true? Medieval maybe?
Also, I love the Pink Panther series. What a great actor.

Yeh, I have been told my name is German but i really don't know. I have been out of contract for 11 months now. I have been waiting for LTE in my area. I have seen a truck backed up to a tower three times in the last few weeks. They seem to have it all tore apart. I am literally 300 feet from that Sprint tower. I should walk over there and ask the guys working there, but in this day and age I am afraid they would call Homeland Security.
In that eleven months I have been off contract I have been paying the full price, even though the phone has been "paid for". And now when I want to buy a new phone I must pay more for a phone than a new account. And pay the activation fee, which is waived for new accounts. If TMobile was here I would switch to them.

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Gary,
That does sound like you have a challenge there with the phones/upgrades, et al. You should go over and ask, what-the-heck, they can't do anything more than say no, or we don't know... but I bet they will tell you if they do know.

For now I will wait until at least Dec., since that is when my contract runs out. I always battle about whether to re-up w/ another contract (I would still stay w/ my carrier - Verizon for reasons mentioned above and great coverage), or just pay the monthly and no contract... Verizon is offering a new service called Edge), which is similar to the Jump being offered by T-Mobile.

On the ability to see front check this out... isn't technology the best! I love this stuff!
see here: http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/new-screen-lets-users-go-glasses-free-933556

Thank you to all who have helped me try to make sense of my options. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Last edited:

evan_adams

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are talking about the note 3. I would go that route. Even if the Gal S5 comes out in January it wont have as big a screen. Also, the Nexus5 will not be on Verizon so you need not worry about that. The HTC One may get updated early 2014 but, for me, I wouldn't get an HTC right now as they seem to be on verge of implosion.

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Evan_Adams, I agree on the Note 3... and frankly, I love it... Now the worse part... I have to wait til 12/13 for my contract to lapse.
I am thinking of "possibly" going with the "Edge Plan" from Verizon which is much like the T-Mobile exchange program. After 6mos. and 1/2 the cost of the phone paid, you can upgrade to a newer phone. Any thoughts on this plan folks? you can check it out here: Verizon Edge - Verizon Wireless

Note: Everyone has been so great pitching in and helping me... I truly appreciate it. Thank you.

Sounds like you are talking about the note 3. I would go that route. Even if the Gal S5 comes out in January it wont have as big a screen. Also, the Nexus5 will not be on Verizon so you need not worry about that. The HTC One may get updated early 2014 but, for me, I wouldn't get an HTC right now as they seem to be on verge of implosion.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Not thrilled with the edge plan and not sure it's worth it for me. I look at it this way. My new phone may be promo'd for $ 200 but retail for $600. I get a new phone about every 12-14 months. If I pay retail I spend about $400 more and own the phone. If I pay for the Edge plan I pay about $360 - $420 extra over that 12-14 month period and I'm tied in their policies (which I'm still unsure of). If you have the cash I think it's better to buy it outright than finance it through their Edge plan.

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
@hal1, thank you so much for that quick analysis... that makes a whole lot more sense, doesn't it...buying outright, I mean.

I am not sure what to do in my case or what is most financially beneficial, as I really do not NEED to get a new phone every year or so... 24 months is alright for me. Your opinion in my case?

Once again, thanks...much appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered a Galaxy S4, I know the S5 is a few months away but I just can't wait any longer. Odds are the upgrades on the S5 won't be so mind blowing that I'll regret getting the S4 AND if they are and I do regret it I can sell mine, lose a couple hunred bucks and get the S5.
The key is can you wait? I couldnt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad