Prooject ara

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Looks awesome. It'll likely take a while to get off the ground and working for consumers. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to move on from my Moto X?

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Quite possibly. Either 1-2 yearsbdown the line I imagine. I just hope it works the way we all hope it does lol

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This has me excited......but i am not your average phone consumer.

For this to work the drivers are going to have to be flawless. Pop in a new component reboot phone and your done.
If it is anything short of this, carriers are not going to want to deal with all the questions and tech support.

But if this works, it could change everything.
It would be in the true spirit of Android, build your phone how you want it.
Upgrade when you want and how you want just by adding a piece here and there.
let aftermarket companies build parts for it (the same as computers). Just keep them to a stringent plug and play type of driver system.
Want to Change carriers? Just pop in a new chip with there radio frequencies on it and have it activated on there network.
The possibilities could be endless.

The tough part is going to be selling it for the average smartphone user and the carriers.
I don't think Verizon (or any of the others) will be happy about selling me a phone they have very little control of and why would a non tech inclined person want/need all this customization?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So essentially - this is what people wanted when the "customizable" rumors starting popping up for the Moto X.