what kind of smartphones will we be using in 10 years?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
what kind of smartphones will we be using in 10 years?

10 years ago, if I told you about a device like iPhone or Android, I would probably have been the laughing stock of the office...

or will we move on to other devices to replace the smartphones in 10 years?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling things will go more in the direction of Google Glass and implanted chips. :-/

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
In 10 years I would speculate evolved versions of what we have now with added arguments like the glass and watches and such. New input methods probably.

The iPhone in 07 was not that different of a device. We had tablets and pdas and other touch screen devices before then. The iPhone just simplified the software and made it appeal to the masses. Something previous smartphones did poorly. If you would have told me in 04 what smartphones are like today, I would not have been that surprised. Now I would have been if you told me the advances in the Internet and the fact that you can have it reliably and at great speeds almost anywhere. I would have been very impressed with that.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I would never have thought I'd go without a pc for any length of time. I'd have been very surprised at the thought of being able to do almost everything on a feather light device I could take anywhere. It's really very cool. A device like this was science fiction when I was young. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully not reading about ios 16, the new S15 and the M18. I suspect a very small device that will have our own personal info that will integrate with whatever environment we are in. Especially now that Internet or like access is everywhere.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In 10 years I would speculate evolved versions of what we have now with added arguments like the glass and watches and such. New input methods probably.

The iPhone in 07 was not that different of a device. We had tablets and pdas and other touch screen devices before then. The iPhone just simplified the software and made it appeal to the masses. Something previous smartphones did poorly. If you would have told me in 04 what smartphones are like today, I would not have been that surprised. Now I would have been if you told me the advances in the Internet and the fact that you can have it reliably and at great speeds almost anywhere. I would have been very impressed with that.

Yes touchscreen devices existed prior to the iPhone, but the iPhone was fundementally different from them. Prior to the iPhone, resistive screens were what was used. You had to use either a stylus or your fingernail. They still relied heavily on other input methods (D-Pads, call/end buttons, physical keyboards, etc.), and none were built exclusively for touch (most of the OSes were available on touch and non-touch devices). The iPhone was fundementally different in both hardware and software.

digifly

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Guess we would be wearing the device .There would be no need for a physical screen or microphone. Electronics could be built into clothing or other accessories maybe. We would just link the device to an interface connected to your brain and direct applications and messages just through thought.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it seems like the future is wearable devices. Less of a device that you carry in your pocket and pull out to access things, and more things like smart watches and Google Glass to naturally interact with the things we do all the time. Texts, Tweets, FB posts, etc, showing up on a smart watch, using technology like the Minuum texting interface to type up posts when you don't want to use voice dictation. Using something like Google Glass to look up directions or do a search for something you need. I think we'll see the existing technologies along these lines expand and become possible to use without having to be linked to a physical phone; I think they'll be able to exist and function on their own.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I would really like future tech to be less "touch" oriented and more "voice" oriented. I want to be able to talk and have things get accomplished, (such as text messaging, getting directions, reservations, place, receive calls, etc.), and not have to spend time pecking away at a message. That way, I'm not stuck looking at a screen when I don't have to.

That tech is starting to come about, but it's still very clunky. In 10 years, I'd like to think they'd be able to get the bugs out so that I can make due with just an earpiece that can do what needs to be done.

The current "wearable tech" that's out there is completely useless at this point, IMO. Google Glass is cool as a concept, but it seems more intrusive than I would like it to be. Put that tech into a REAL pair of glasses (since I already wear glasses) and we're onto something.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If this ever becomes the standard, I will give up on technology forever. Minuum is just so... ugh...

I haven't used it myself, so I can't speak to its effectiveness as it stands today, but the ability to use it anywhere on just about any surface is more what I'm getting at. I know in their demo videos, they show people "typing" on their arms or on desks...it's that sort of ability that would make it possible to type up messages without needing a phone interface. Sure, Minuum as it stands today might not be the best tool, but the idea is there...and 10 years from now, I expect the tool will be refined.

Last edited:

Joe378

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
In 10 years from now, all the cell carriers will own all the oygen in the world and will be charging us per breathe that we take. :)

stunx120fshwf

May 10, 2013
Visit site
In 10 years time, we'd be into glasses free 3D 8k on a 6" territory, optical interconnects (silicon lasers have made this cheap,) possibly optical computing. Other possibilities, are some kind of 3D printed honeycomb, of micro Faraday cage, memory CPU GPU, with micro machine pumps, running very low viscosity fluid through them for cooling. After all, my Nexus 10, with a QHD screen cost $300, my Nexus 5 has WiFi ac (1 GB/s), LTE advanced. Tango, with 4 GB of RAM, 128 GB of flash, nearly a couple of hundred GPUs, will also be $300 in 18 months time. Pixel densities double every year, I have a $133 UHD Android TV box, $600 UHD TV, Note 3 and others can record in UHD. In 10 years time, things will have moved on a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781