Android Silver Devices

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So, who's excited for the Android Silver program?

Android 'Silver' devices could replace Nexus line with big in-store presence -- Android Central (link)

It looks like Google will put out premium Android devices, increase their presence in retail stores, and push out quick updates. That sounds like a winner to me. What's your take?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how this would be very different from the Nexus line. They could certainly increase their presence even if they kept going with the Nexus line of devices.
As long as they're as good or similar to the Nexus though, I'm sure they'll be great. Just hope they don't increase prices.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait. Google is FINALLY taking control and offering an experience similar to ios. No more worrying about updates or experience. Yet better because it is Android.

And people are already complaining about pricing. I am sorry that Google spoiled everyone with underpriced phones that make no profit. Now they are expected to give their hardware away.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait. Google is FINALLY taking control and offering an experience similar to ios. No more worrying about updates or experience. Yet better because it is Android.

And people are already complaining about pricing. I am sorry that Google spoiled everyone with underpriced phones that make no profit. Now they are expected to give their hardware away.
I'm definitely with you on that. I see this as a win. Android Silver and Project Ara are two of the main tech I'm interested in 2015.

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't see how this would be very different from the Nexus line. They could certainly increase their presence even if they kept going with the Nexus line of devices.
As long as they're as good or similar to the Nexus though, I'm sure they'll be great. Just hope they don't increase prices.

+1 on the prices. I had always hoped for a "decked out" Nexus (top of the line camera etc), as long as they continue to offer a light version at a great price.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Finally taking control is a bold and presumption statement for such a rumor. I don't believe Google will ever offer a similar
long term software update that iOS can offer unless Google own their own hardware manufacturer. The silver program seems to be Google Play Edition devices for the mass consumers. However Google heavily market the silver devices. Who knows if Google will responsible for software updates or if these silver devices hardware wise will just be twin of existing devices.

I think to soon think of silver program as Google second coming. If Google wanted to dominate the hardware market like apple AMD Samsung they could of some so years ago. Google much more concern about a bigger picture in terms of search, mobile connectivity, and relative data for entire world having access through Google.

We will have to wait and see but I pretty confident this silver program is not simple play to please the small minority that Google's product to have they mainstream strategy of Apple and Samsung.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Finally taking control is a bold and presumption statement for such a rumor. I don't believe Google will ever offer a similar
long term software update that iOS can offer unless Google own their own hardware manufacturer. The silver program seems to be Google Play Edition devices for the mass consumers. However Google heavily market the silver devices. Who knows if Google will responsible for software updates or if these silver devices hardware wise will just be twin of existing devices.

I think to soon think of silver program as Google second coming. If Google wanted to dominate the hardware market like apple AMD Samsung they could of some so years ago. Google much more concern about a bigger picture in terms of search, mobile connectivity, and relative data for entire world having access through Google.

We will have to wait and see but I pretty confident this silver program is not simple play to please the small minority that Google's product to have they mainstream strategy of Apple and Samsung.

Google could not have grown Android to what it is today without using the strategy that they did. All Oems and developers contributed and helped with the process. Now that the Android user base has grown so large and the software has matured, Google can release their own devices of a much higher caliper with more control and weight to throw around with the carriers. Now Google can realize it's ultimate goal of mass data farming with more control than ever before. They can move more towards the position of a leader in the market instead of just providing software for anyone to use.

It does not take an owned manufacturer to create an optimized experience and long term updates. All it takes is closely working together, great hardware choices, and good agreements. I do not think Google will ever drag along and update old hardware like apple does, but I also think that non security related updates to 2+ year old devices is pointless.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google could not have grown Android to what it is today without using the strategy that they did. All Oems and developers contributed and helped with the process. Now that the Android user base has grown so large and the software has matured, Google can release their own devices of a much higher caliper with more control and weight to throw around with the carriers. Now Google can realize it's ultimate goal of mass data farming with more control than ever before. They can move more towards the position of a leader in the market instead of just providing software for anyone to use.

It does not take an owned manufacturer to create an optimized experience and long term updates. All it takes is closely working together, great hardware choices, and good agreements. I do not think Google will ever drag along and update old hardware like apple does, but I also think that non security related updates to 2+ year old devices is pointless.
"

I agree with you whole heartily on your statement, "Google could not have grown Android to what it is today without using the strategy that they did. All Oems and developers contributed and helped with the process. Now that the Android user base has grown so large and the software has matured

However rest statement still screams second coming with silver program which still to hard tell for now. Android is the equivalent to windows is to PC. So why would Google need handle full of devices to push " ultimate goal of mass data farming with more control than ever" don't they have hundred of android devices that meet that end?

"They can move more towards the position of leader in market instead of just providing software for anyone to use"

url]

US-SMARTPHONE-MARKET-BY-OS-2013-2014.jpg

Android as whole is the leader in smartphone market which puts Google in the lead. Basically Google is not the driver in car that winning the race but the owner of car that driver winning race with. What would Google gain by being the "driver" rather than the "owner of the winning car" when the "owner" wins regardless if he is in seat or not?

I only see silver program doing for Google is educated mass that their beloved android products are Google products. Furthermore that your Samsung Galaxy "#" is nothing without Google creating android. The order credit form OEM partner, Google and Android is I'm disarray. The mass see Samsung Galaxy # as solely Samsung product deserves the create. Then a small few from masses may give credit to android. Lastly almost none can make connection that Google is reason the Samsung Galaxy exists. This large uneducated mass consumers of mobile market are why may Google's own projects don't get of ground because all their OEM partners get the credit for Android. Google not getting credit they deserve hurts all their own projects from flourishing because masses see Google as another company entering mobile market rather than the Father of mobile market of today.

Google could have all their silver devices number one but if accolades that Google deserves are not sorted Samsung,Apple and Carriers will still predominantly have the control because they will have masses in their favor. Google will perceived as another android devices in flood hundred android devices to masses in market in love with Apple and Samsung.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As long as Motorola doesn't stray from the software strategy introduced with the Moto X and Moto G, I have no need for "Android Silver".

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I got the impression that Silver won't be carrier unlocked, and since I like to be mobile with my mobile, I prefer the Nexus line.

Also, they might be floating the brand name (for I'm not sure what exactly), "niio". I just got a Google survey asking me if I liked the name.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ccota08

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I got the impression that Silver won't be carrier unlocked, and since I like to be mobile with my mobile, I prefer the Nexus line.

Also, they might be floating the brand name (for I'm not sure what exactly), "niio". I just got a Google survey asking me if I liked the name.

I got that same survey last night. Mostly, I was just glad to get more free Google Play credit.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
As long as Motorola doesn't stray from the software strategy introduced with the Moto X and Moto G, I have no need for "Android Silver".

But what if moto makes a phone you don't like? Then you could have one of these as an option ;-)

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

The Android Silver program may be Google's way of getting a Nexus phone on Verizon. If I understand the program correctly, the phone will be built to Google's specification (e.g. no microSD card slot) and there may be 1 or 2 Verizon apps pre-installed. In exchange, Verizon won't hold up software updates. However, this is just a guess on my part. Maybe Verizon and Google won't be able to reach an agreement, and there will be another year without a Nexus phone (or equivalent) on Verizon.

As for unlocked phones, do you switch carriers or travel frequently? Perhaps Google will sell an unlocked phone online.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The Android Silver program may be Google's way of getting a Nexus phone on Verizon. If I understand the program correctly, the phone will be built to Google's specification (e.g. no microSD card slot) and there may be 1 or 2 Verizon apps pre-installed. In exchange, Verizon won't hold up software updates. However, this is just a guess on my part. Maybe Verizon and Google won't be able to reach an agreement, and there will be another year without a Nexus phone (or equivalent) on Verizon.

As for unlocked phones, do you switch carriers or travel frequently? Perhaps Google will sell an unlocked phone online.

I've been reading rumors that they'll make a low spec Nexus phone, or budget phone, maybe that will be what they'll sell for unlocked? I like the ability to switch carriers, not that I do it so often. But I thought it is a good way to keep the carriers competitive, if they know the customer doesn't have to buy a locked phone from them and be committed to a contract.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think this will be good. Finally devices like the Note and Moto X will come with a guarantee of software updates in the form of the Silver line. I'm not worried about lower priced phones. It seems like we're in a good era when it comes to high end phones at mid range prices. Motorola and OnePlus seem to have that sector covered. I have a feeling Motorola will announce something pretty good in a couple weeks. It might not be OnePlus specs good but it could be something pretty damn nice.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I like Silver's premium Android devices I just don't want to pay a premium price. I want a OLED touchscreen that is brighter, thinner, lighter, 1000 x faster refresh and uses much less power that any other current touchscreen technology. LG already makes OLED in the Flex.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But what if moto makes a phone you don't like? Then you could have one of these as an option ;-)

The Motorola phones I don't like as much are the DROID ULTRA and the DROID MAXX, simply because of their physical size.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I think this will be good. Finally devices like the Note and Moto X will come with a guarantee of software updates in the form of the Silver line. I'm not worried about lower priced phones. It seems like we're in a good era when it comes to high end phones at mid range prices. Motorola and OnePlus seem to have that sector covered. I have a feeling Motorola will announce something pretty good in a couple weeks. It might not be OnePlus specs good but it could be something pretty damn nice.

Don't believe you're going to see that with the Note series. Its software features all come from Touch Wiz (it's what makes it a Note!). Otherwise you just have a large screen device with a general stylus (no advanced functionality of the S-Pen). :(

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

How could Google increase the presence of the Nexus line? It's not like they didn't have the opportunity. There have been 5 iterations of the Nexus phone. What could Google do that they didn't already try?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34