My Take on the "Nexus Two"

kertesd

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok,

I dont believe this new phone will be the Nexus Two BUT it is a Nexus. I think there will be a new line of phones labeled "Nexus" meaning it will run stock Android. I believe Samsung will be revealing a Nexus-S.

My Take on the Nexus-S,
-No Trackball, While I dont care too much for the actual trackball(even though its very helpful at accurate selecting) I LOVE my Nexus One trackball for the LED notifications, My Nexus One replacement can NOT be without a notification LED.
-Cheap Glossy Black Plastic...Where do I start.... It's CHEAP, feels tacky, scratches and cracks, enough said,

I love my Nexus One because of stock android but ABOVE all, Super solid build quality and I wouldnt expect anything less for a Nexus Two, Judging by this Samsung, Build quality will not match the Nexus One.

In closing, I think the Nexus Two will be sold much like a Ipod touch, In stores like Best Buy, Future Shop, Target. If they can keep the price between $300 & $500 It can be sold on electronic store shelves and people will be able to play with it before they purchase it.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
OOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Your conclusion gets me thinking. What if the next one ... ISN'T A PHONE AT ALL.

(OK, probably crazy. But if I'm right, you heard it here first, lol.)

christinasims

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I too am not super impressed. I wanted something head and shoulders above the existing phones. Other than stock Android (which is admittedly very nice), the phone is pretty run of the mill.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As I hinted at in another thread, I think people are missing the point; the Nexus one was aimed at two things, 1) advancing the state of Android phone design, and 2) breaking the carrier's monopoly on consumers. They succeeded at 1 but failed horribly on 2.

If articles that have appeared on techcrunch and elsewhere are correct, Google had originally wanted to not only sell the Nexus one unlocked, but cheap enough (with them footing the bill as a loss leader) that people would have happily bought it online. The carriers told them to go screw themselves, since a carrier can block a phone model if it wants to. So the Nexus 1 was repriced to at least accomplish their other goal (advancing phone design on their platform).

But I doubt they gave up. The leak included information about deals with retailers to sell the Nexus S in physical stores. And Motorola announced in their latest earnings call that they are also working on a direct to customers product with Google. I'd look forward to seeing several devices, some of which may be wifi-only (with Google Music and integrated video chat coming in Gingerbread, they would still see a ton at the right price) and I'd expect to see them undercut similar devices (like the iPod Touch) by a significant amount.

Some of the Nexus line (possibly including the S) will be unlocked cell phones, but I think a larger part of the goal is to bust telephony wide open, grow the use of wifi communications via tablets and handheld devices, and to provide a ready market for people who want to start utilizing the newly reclaimed spectrum the FCC is opening up.

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
The beauty of the Android OS (for lack of a better name) is that various companies make the phones that run it. It improves long-term innovation and variety is aplenty. Nexus SchNexus: Who cares? Just keep being innovative :)
If you want One-Phone-Fits-All, get the iPhone or RIM...

Last edited:

eugrus

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I would love to have a "mainstream" device without that manufactures' crap (such as Touchwiz, HTC Sense, Blur, etc.) removing that removes your warranty.
That is what I want from new Nexuses so much!

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I would love to have a "mainstream" device without that manufactures' crap (such as Touchwiz, HTC Sense, Blur, etc.) removing that removes your warranty.
That is what I want from new Nexuses so much!

Me too! I really really hope there's a CDMA version of the next Google phone.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I really hope it's real, Samsung devices are pretty durable, and that screen could be SAMOLED another plus. If it really is real, then I do hope it has some sort of LED >.>

If it's a Nexus S: Just as good lol.