Is there a point of getting the Xperia Z4 if Sony's Mobile Division is going down?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is a question that has been on my ind for some time.
I really love my Z3 and am looking forward to the Xperia Z4, but I am wondering if there really is a point of getting it because of the rumrs of Sony's mobile division going down. Will there be frequent updates? or any updates at all?

Any input is good

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't heard that one yet, but here's how I like to think folks ought to think about devices and updates, etc: If the device is awesome, especially with the trend of apps and features being updated via the Play Store rather than direct in the firmware, then upgradability and planned obsolescence become less of an issue. Presumably the Z4 would launch with Lollipop and, assuming that it is a fast as all get out and smooth device, staying that way wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't heard that one yet, but here's how I like to think folks ought to think about devices and updates, etc: If the device is awesome, especially with the trend of apps and features being updated via the Play Store rather than direct in the firmware, then upgradability and planned obsolescence become less of an issue. Presumably the Z4 would launch with Lollipop and, assuming that it is a fast as all get out and smooth device, staying that way wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

Well hopefully the rumor is false because I would imagine if it were to be true, I would be stuck with Lollipop for a long time while other phones are upgrading to the next versions of the Google firmware

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Sony ain't going under. They make some of the best universal cell phones out there and the next Xperia appears to be a game changer. Many users are just starting to come to Sony (myself included); or return to their walkman roots. Their factory unlocked world phones are top notch! The 2015 Compact is what I'm currently waiting for.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Sony the company is not in good shape at the moment. Their shares have been classified as junk status, they've been repeatedly cutting revenue forecasts and they're being beaten by competitors in many of their divisions (except for Playstation I believe).

In saying that, I don't think there will be an immediate detrimental effect on the Xperia Z4. While Sony's mobile division is one of the departments in trouble, I still think they're going on with 'business as usual' and won't be making drastic changes to their product line.....not yet anyway. If you're interested in the Xperia Z4, I don't think you should make your purchasing decision purely based on the financial health of the company but rather based on the merits of the phone itself.

For example HTC have been in financial turmoil for a few years now, yet their recent HTC One M7 and One M8 phones have been critically acclaimed. The company's financial health doesn't necessarily mean worse products with less support, if that is what OP is suggesting.

Last edited:

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I bet they were pushing hard at ces to get all major USA carriers to support the Z4. That would be a big deal for them.

Posted via the Android Central App

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
THIS (only 4 days old) is the closest thing I can find to suggesting Sony "might" be bought by someone, but I have to laugh at the "profit" side of tech businesses in general. This article suggests Amazon as one of the suggested buyers. LOL... They don't make money, they just suck up capital in an effort to put others out of business. When will THAT fail? When will THEIR backers say they want a return? What is THEIR stock doing now?

"Anyone buying the division is buying an ongoing concern that is currently not breaking even, let alone making significant profit. This is an issue that is not unique to Sony… outside of Apple there are very few smartphone manufacturers that are turning a notable profit on their hardware. Addressing this issue, either through smart management of the manufacturing and design process or pairing up the division with a number of ancillary revenue sources would be high up on the list of priorities."

"Sony is not a tiny Android manufacturer. It has a strong market share position, it has access to an extensive content library, and the handsets are critically acclaimed."

IMHO Sony is taking the right steps with the mobile division. Their 2015 Xperia Z4 lineup looks impressive. I personally am waiting for the new Z4 Compact or Music to be my next daily driver for years; combined with their wearable SmartBand Talk. I visited my local Sony store yesterday and liked what I saw and heard (Hi-Res Walkman phone should be awesome attached to your home and car systems!). What Sony really needs is visible advertising. Hopefully their CEO and newly appointed personnel will address that shortfall with the Xperia Z4 product line. And for god sakes Sony, get these products into the USA!!!

Last edited:

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Sony the company is not in good shape at the moment. Their shares have been classified as junk status, they've been repeatedly cutting revenue forecasts and they're being beaten by competitors in many of their divisions (except for Playstation I believe).

In saying that, I don't think there will be an immediate detrimental effect on the Xperia Z4. While Sony's mobile division is one of the departments in trouble, I still think they're going on with 'business as usual' and won't be making drastic changes to their product line.....not yet anyway. If you're interested in the Xperia Z4, I don't think you should make your purchasing decision purely based on the financial health of the company but rather based on the merits of the phone itself.

For example HTC have been in financial turmoil for a few years now, yet their recent HTC One M7 and One M8 phones have been critically acclaimed. The company's financial health doesn't necessarily mean worse products with less support, if that is what OP is suggesting.

Yes, from what I've read, Sony is closing its R&D facility in China and moving everything in house to off-set costs. Moreover, the idea, or rumor as it were, is not that Sony is planning on junking their mobile unit, but rather looking to sell it. I believe Sony has already sold of its VAIO line of laptops.

In the end, this does trouble me to an extent. As a new father, I am looking for a phone with the best camera and Sony seems to be best. If the Z4 stats are nice, including Qi wireless, then I will likely still make the Z4 my first Sony mobile purchase. So, am doing my due diligence and am not writing Sony off, but am concerned somewhat about the immediate future if Sony were to step away from its product -- especially with Lollipop likely getting serious updates.

Tenebrous

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
... Hopefully their CEO and newly appointed personnel will address that shortfall with the Xperia Z4 product line. And for god sakes Sony, get these products into the USA!!!

This ^^ Have been looking at Sony phones since about the Z1, but no where to see them in stores. Not to mention relative dearth of 3rd party products -- just go to Amazon and compare the number of Samsung S5 cases to Sony Z3 cases. Very, very disappointing.

By the way, good call on the improved sound rumored to be on the Z4 -- forgot to mention that in my post above, but a phone with a nice camera & sound (with a great screen of course) would be almost impossible not to buy!! I hope they don't separate the phones into sound or video phones - or if they do, at least provide an all-in-one phone (please).

On a separate note -- compact is not better for me, lol -- bigger is better in my view =).

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
THIS (only 4 days old) is the closest thing I can find to suggesting Sony "might" be bought by someone, but I have to laugh at the "profit" side of tech businesses in general. This article suggests Amazon as one of the suggested buyers. LOL... They don't make money, they just suck up capital in an effort to put others out of business. When will THAT fail? When will THEIR backers say they want a return? What is THEIR stock doing now?

"Anyone buying the division is buying an ongoing concern that is currently not breaking even, let alone making significant profit. This is an issue that is not unique to Sony… outside of Apple there are very few smartphone manufacturers that are turning a notable profit on their hardware. Addressing this issue, either through smart management of the manufacturing and design process or pairing up the division with a number of ancillary revenue sources would be high up on the list of priorities."

"Sony is not a tiny Android manufacturer. It has a strong market share position, it has access to an extensive content library, and the handsets are critically acclaimed."

IMHO Sony is taking the right steps with the mobile division. Their 2015 Xperia Z4 lineup looks impressive. I personally am waiting for the new Z4 Compact or Music to be my next daily driver for years; combined with their wearable SmartBand Talk. I visited my local Sony store yesterday and liked what I saw and heard (Hi-Res Walkman phone should be awesome attached to your home and car systems!). What Sony really needs is visible advertising. Hopefully their CEO and newly appointed personnel will address that shortfall with the Xperia Z4 product line. And for god sakes Sony, get these products into the USA!!!

Amazon doesn't make money?! What are you smoking.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I want Sony to release the Z4 Ultra to Verizon before anything concrete happens. Let me have that bad boy!!! I'm looking for a small tablet as a phone to get two birds with one stone. :D