1.5GHz HTC phone on AT&T

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i was at my local AT&T store today and was interrogating one of the employees there(ha). According to him, there will be a 4G HTC phone (not sure whether its HSPA+ or LTE) coming later this year with a 1.5GHz snapdragon processor. He said that the processor won't be dual core- because according to Qualcomm, having two cores did not improve speeds. He also said that AT&T LTE phones will not be coming until next year. Has anybody else heard of this phone?

rh166c

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, sounds like it may be codename scorpion. I think it was supposed to have similar specs and HTC loves their snapdragons

sent from Saintzman's X

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
honestly, i dont believe store reps or employees. they are mostly clueless like us unless its someone upstairs in the executive office

1.5ghz HTC Snapdtagon phone = overclocked HTC Inspire 4G :)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i see what you mean about the employees, but this guy seemed to know what he was talking about. he had a few android phones, and all of them rooted. could be just an overclocked processor, but for some reason i doubt it.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It may be true that dual-core didn't have a huge impact on performance.

But also keep in mind Android isn't fully optimized for multi-core processors until Honeycomb. :)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Uhm...yeah, that makes sense.....HTC shows off their dual core product impressing quite a few tech journalists with it's power....but really, thank god we talked to the AT&T guy that said dual core didn't improve much performance. Tell that to all the other chipmakers that are rushing out dual core designs.

Whether or not Gingerbread doesn't support dual core really doesn't matter, you would expect most high end phones to be upgraded to 2.4 that hopefully will support it.

Oh well, employees, they don't know anything.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
honestly, its all about software IMO. WP7 has the right idea and we see how it can practically run circles around most androids (including dual core) with its optimized software for a certain chipset and hardware acceleration.

HTC will be fine even if its not dual core since they spend more time optimizing software rather than hardware for their chips. I see this when i compare sense roms and aosp roms on my G2 and MyTouch 4G... the Sense roms always feel smoother and faster than stock IMO