Verizon Stock Android LTE phone

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Aaand now BMX has edited his post so that it no longer implies that Verizon has a Nexus S on the way that is better than Sprint's. Now it says "our 'stock' device is soooo MUCH better…".

Nexus S on Sprint official | Rants, Opinions and the confessions of a Tech addict…

So he said in his most recent poem to wait several weeks to make a purchasing decision rather than get locked into a Thunderbolt contract right off the bat, because a dual core stock Android phone that had never leaked was coming out that was better than the "hyped" Thunderbolt and we'd regret it. So now we can say it's not another Nexus S 4G. Some have pointed out that the Sony Xperia Play is a dual core stock Gingerbread phone coming out on Verizon mid April ("mid to late" is what the rep at CTIA said). I'm thinking that has to be it unless there are more than one stock android phone coming out on Verizon in April. And if so, darn it. I'll go Thunderbolt or Dinc 2 instead.
The Xperia Play is neither dual core or stock android. *EDIT* on some of the videos they have a stock version and others they have SE's skin overtop... I'm guessing they didnt have time to port their skin in time for CITA and other recent shows so they are just running stock for now.

JC4131a

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The Xperia Play is neither dual core or stock android. *EDIT* on some of the videos they have a stock version and others they have SE's skin overtop... I'm guessing they didnt have time to port their skin in time for CITA and other recent shows so they are just running stock for now.

I have read that it is nearly stock android with a few extra apps thrown on but I believe you are correct about the processor. To my knowledge, it is going to be single core.

I found the stock info here:adroinica update dated March 22, 2011
This source says it was originally going to be google's next phone before samsung got the nexus s: Android Community Article dated March 11, 2011

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Huh, well I stand corrected on the processor. A quick google when I was researching this issue gave me this article, which says dual-core. But everybody else says single. Well that's good news then, because BMX's stock dual has to be something else. Not the Nexus S, not the Xperia Play. You wouldn't think it would be another HTC or Motorola so close to the launch of their first big 4Gs apiece on Verizon. And we already knew about the Samsung and the LG LTEs, so it isn't those. It's not Sony unless they've got something other than the Play. Who's left?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The Motorola Targa will be the stock vanilla android or Google phone. It is said that it packs a quad core processor, LTE, a 12 megapixel rear camera, front facing camera and power VR graphics and have the "with Google " branding. It is supposed to be launched by Christmas.

The thunderbolt has the "with google" branding and its not stock vanilla android.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
OK I'm thinking the Droid 3 will be the vanilla android dual core LTE phone that BlackManX is talking about.

This article from January talks about the Dinc2, X2, and D3 coming out this year, one of which was rumored to be vanilla/stock android.

This article from February speaks of an insider leak about a 4 inch qHD Droid3 with a slide out keyboard.

BlackManX/Panda teased about a be-keyboarded stock dual core 4" qHD phone in his April Fools poem and its meta tags. We know some of those specs (probably megapixels and maybe processor speed) were exaggerated for April fools, but he mentions the keyboard in the tags, a dead giveaway for the D3, and mentions in a comment on his own post that he'd soon release some info about the D3 and other phones, and also says in the tags "not the real device... but close".

And in the poem before that he teased that a dual core stock android phone (elsewhere noted as unleaked) was coming out "several weeks" after the Thunderbolt and that we should wait and not commit to two years on the Thunderbolt.

And now this article from a few days ago shows the X2 in Verizon's internal system as a 3G phone like the Dinc2.

So of the three updates to the original droid line mentioned in January, one of which was rumored to be stock android, we can rule out the Dinc2, a 3G phone with Sense. And we can rule out the X2, because while it may be dual core qHD, it's a 3G phone, and BlackmanX has said the mystery stock phone is 4G LTE. That leaves only the D3, which matches up with his poem meta tag that mentions a keyboard.

The possible problems with this theory are:

1. If the X2 is in the Verizon internal system already but the D3 is not, at least not in those leaked screenshots, yet BlackmanX said to wait "several weeks" from the launch of the Thunderbolt for the stock dual core wonder, how can the D3 be coming out any time soon? Maybe "several" means something different to him, or else whoever found those internal Verizon pages didn't find the D3 page.

2. In the screenshots of the new phones in the Verizon internal system, the X2 is the only one that doesn't have the VCast store in it. Could that be an indicator of no bloatware? And maybe therefore that it is the stock phone? But but but, the stock is supposed to be LTE.

3. If the D3 were coming out in the initial slew of 4G phones, why wouldn't Verizon have announced it with the others at CES? It ain't coming out anytime soon, and can't be the "wait several weeks phone".

4. I had another thing but now I'm too sleepy to remember.

I wonder if Blackman may be putting clues to multiple phones in the same poem, which we mistakenly think area bout the same phone. Like maybe the Charge was the wait several weeks phone, despite not being stock or dual core. Bah, I quit. I think I'm finally sold on the Thunderbolt, "hypebeast" or not. Don't want a slidey keyboard, don't want 3G. Don't want to wait months or quarters for some mystery or the Targa. Nothing but the Bionic is on the near term horizon that would possibly be better based on my preferences.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
OK I'm thinking the Droid 3 will be the vanilla android dual core LTE phone that BlackManX is talking about.

This article from January talks about the Dinc2, X2, and D3 coming out this year, one of which was rumored to be vanilla/stock android.

This article from February speaks of an insider leak about a 4 inch qHD Droid3 with a slide out keyboard.

BlackManX/Panda teased about a be-keyboarded stock dual core 4" qHD phone in his April Fools poem and its meta tags. We know some of those specs (probably megapixels and maybe processor speed) were exaggerated for April fools, but he mentions the keyboard in the tags, a dead giveaway for the D3, and mentions in a comment on his own post that he'd soon release some info about the D3 and other phones, and also says in the tags "not the real device... but close".

And in the poem before that he teased that a dual core stock android phone (elsewhere noted as unleaked) was coming out "several weeks" after the Thunderbolt and that we should wait and not commit to two years on the Thunderbolt.

And now this article from a few days ago shows the X2 in Verizon's internal system as a 3G phone like the Dinc2.

So of the three updates to the original droid line mentioned in January, one of which was rumored to be stock android, we can rule out the Dinc2, a 3G phone with Sense. And we can rule out the X2, because while it may be dual core qHD, it's a 3G phone, and BlackmanX has said the mystery stock phone is 4G LTE. That leaves only the D3, which matches up with his poem meta tag that mentions a keyboard.

The possible problems with this theory are:

1. If the X2 is in the Verizon internal system already but the D3 is not, at least not in those leaked screenshots, yet BlackmanX said to wait "several weeks" from the launch of the Thunderbolt for the stock dual core wonder, how can the D3 be coming out any time soon? Maybe "several" means something different to him, or else whoever found those internal Verizon pages didn't find the D3 page.

2. In the screenshots of the new phones in the Verizon internal system, the X2 is the only one that doesn't have the VCast store in it. Could that be an indicator of no bloatware? And maybe therefore that it is the stock phone? But but but, the stock is supposed to be LTE.

3. If the D3 were coming out in the initial slew of 4G phones, why wouldn't Verizon have announced it with the others at CES? It ain't coming out anytime soon, and can't be the "wait several weeks phone".

4. I had another thing but now I'm too sleepy to remember.

I wonder if Blackman may be putting clues to multiple phones in the same poem, which we mistakenly think area bout the same phone. Like maybe the Charge was the wait several weeks phone, despite not being stock or dual core. Bah, I quit. I think I'm finally sold on the Thunderbolt, "hypebeast" or not. Don't want a slidey keyboard, don't want 3G. Don't want to wait months or quarters for some mystery or the Targa. Nothing but the Bionic is on the near term horizon that would possibly be better based on my preferences.

Yes, I think he is. The other phone of reference, I believe, is the Bionic (see references to "Steve Austin" aka Bionic Man, "in a BLUR", etc.). References to stock are for the stock phone, not the Bionic.

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I was actually speaking about a couple of units, one 3g and one running LTE. Both have been delayed and may end up skinned like the rest. I would actually advise anyone looking to get a device to go one year on a charge or thunderbolt. The Sony play is about stock but specs are rather lacking for a long two year commitment.

Apparently the thought is that stock isn't something Verizon customers want.. Course the same thoughts say they don't want one year contracts or Ne2... etc.:confused:

I am posting a quick blog to clarify..

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I was actually speaking about a couple of units, one 3g and one running LTE. Both have been delayed and may end up skinned like the rest. I would actually advise anyone looking to get a device to go one year on a charge or thunderbolt. The Sony play is about stock but specs are rather lacking for a long two year commitment.

Apparently the thought is that stock isn't something Verizon customers want.. Course the same thoughts say they don't want one year contracts or Ne2... etc.:confused:

Ugh!! Say it isn't so! I've been waiting on the Bionic and thoroughly appreciate your recommendations. I will have to greatly consider the Charge or Thunderbolt, or even the Inc. 2 on a 1-yr now. Of course, if you say to consider the Charge on a 1-yr, I assume that'll be out before the 17th. ;)

I'll be on the look out for the new blog. Giving up Twitter for Lent is killing me, but I do admire and appreciate your sacrifice. :)

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I would actually advise anyone looking to get a device to go one year on a charge or thunderbolt.

That is exactly what I did :)

Suck that verizon feels that way :(

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Thanks BMX! I was hoping for the DINC2 on a 1 year, but since it doesn't look like that will be out before they get rid of 1 year contracts, I might just have to head to VZW on Thursday to compare the Thunderbolt to the Charge.

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
well that sucks. Guess I'm back to waiting for a Bionic then? Dont think we'll ever see a Verizon equivalent to the htc sensation / evo 3d

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Ew... sounds bad for the Bionic. That is frustrating because I have been holding my update since November 1st and I was sure that the Bionic was going to be mine since I saw it at CES. It kinda sucks that all the other carriers are getting the high spec phones and there is absolutely no news about the only one that compares for Verizon.

How long do you expect the delay to be for the first dual-core phone? I am sort of in the industry and really want one pretty bad.

Thank you for all that you do... I think I speak for everyone when I say we miss you on twitter.

Reactions: joeln

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I echo everybody's thanks, Panda. Nobody owes us early insider info, so it's a luxury to get a scrap here and there. It really does help us make better and smarter purchasing decisions. This stuff ain't cheap, not when you add up the full 2 year cost of ownership.

rdearth53

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I for one have to agree, thank you so much for the info, O Great Panda! I'm just hoping that the current rumors going around that the Bionic may be delayed aren't true.....I have to get a phone on a 2-Year anyway and want what will hold up the longest! Any info on it would be appreciated.....thanks again so much Panda!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

blackmannx#AC

Panda Motherfrinkin King
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I for one have to agree, thank you so much for the info, O Great Panda! I'm just hoping that the current rumors going around that the Bionic may be delayed aren't true.....I have to get a phone on a 2-Year anyway and want what will hold up the longest! Any info on it would be appreciated.....thanks again so much Panda!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Not an issue.. as far as build quality.. I would say that the Bionic is great. hardware is quite solid and tech is future proof through 2012

rdearth53

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Not an issue.. as far as build quality.. I would say that the Bionic is great. hardware is quite solid and tech is future proof through 2012

Wow, thanks so much. I really do have to thank you for this, because you spend all this time helping others for no other reason than that you want to! It sure is shaping up to be a heck of a device!:cool:

Reactions: EggoEspada

Oxn

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

Wait are you refering to your April fools poem, and not your "Bionic poem" from March 15th?

I hope its the April poem, cause i dont want the Bionic to get delayed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15