Is there a Turbo 3 coming or is the Moto Z Force next in line?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
As the title implies - is there a Droid Turbo 3 coming in the fall or is the Droid Z Force the big successor this year? It looks nice, although its long and doesn't have wireless charging unless you add that thick, heavy moto mod and doesn't have the 3mm headphone jack. Admittedly a 5700 mAh battery sounds great though.

Anyone know?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Given that the Moto Z Force Droid Edition has the Shattershield display inherited from the Turbo 2 (with a lot of improvements) and also has a relatively large battery, like the 2 previous Turbos (although smaller than the last Turbos without Motomods), it might seem that the Z Force might be the successor to the Turbo 2. However, there's always a surprise, but it does seem likely.

Another interesting point is that the international Droid Turbo 2 is called the Moto X Force.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice if they came out with a reasonable sized back for it that just added wireless charging and wasn't the size and weight of a Mophie case with the mongo battery

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but you'd think they would have more than 3 options at the original release. How long are they going to wait with the lifecycle of phones? unless future Motos also use the same mods
They did mention that future Moto Zs will retain a similar design.

Maybe the G5+ could utilize it too? All depends whether this takes off.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, there is also the Moto Z Droid Edition, not just the Force. I think it's a bit thinner and lighter.

At this point qi charging is no longer important to me. The only plus for me is less wear on the physical port, but I think that's less an issue with the USB c connector.

Lenovo has said that mods will work with future versions of the Moto Z models, so presumably there is some future proofing if you are sure you are staying with the Moto Z line.

I still can't buy a phone this physically large (I don't care how thin it is), and this phone is way too expensive, knowing you'd also be buying a mod. Never mind that Lenovo's support for last year's models has been atrocious.

I agree - I think it's possible we'll see a phone like the Maxx 2 later this year, but it'd be lower end specs. The Z models are this year's high end Droids.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, there is also the Moto Z Droid Edition, not just the Force. I think it's a bit thinner and lighter.

At this point qi charging is no longer important to me. The only plus for me is less wear on the physical port, but I think that's less an issue with the USB c connector.

Lenovo has said that mods will work with future versions of the Moto Z models, so presumably there is some future proofing if you are sure you are staying with the Moto Z line.

I still can't buy a phone this physically large (I don't care how thin it is), and this phone is way too expensive, knowing you'd also be buying a mod. Never mind that Lenovo's support for last year's models has been atrocious.

I agree - I think it's possible we'll see a phone like the Maxx 2 later this year, but it'd be lower end specs. The Z models are this year's high end Droids.

Right, but the plain Z doesn't have the big battery and better camera. I agree on the size. Every time one of these new phones comes out I swear I'm not going to get a phone any larger than that, but they just keep getting bigger. I still use the wireless charging in my car and on my nightstand. I like being able to just reach over and pick up the phone off the charger while I'm lying in bed and then putting it back on. It's not fast charging, but its plenty fine for overnight it. Also using the AirDock in my car its easy on/easy off for the phone without having to worry about connecting and disconnecting cables from it. Its nice and unobtrusive as opposed to the Tylt charger in my other car. So I'm not ready to give up on wireless charging yet.

maxresdefault.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is it Verizon or Motorola that insists on different names for the Verizon models?

Verizon is the one with the license to use the DROID brand name from Lucas Arts, so I'd say that it's Verizon.

Really, the names are practically the same this time. Moto Z and Moto Z Force, with the Verizon models adding the "DROID Edition" to the name.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So it sounds like overall there aren't really any rumors for a Turbo3 yet. Several months ago there were, but maybe what they thought was going to be the T3 is actually the Z Force.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Oh, right, the camera, but with the battery case I don't think the smaller battery is much of an issue, and it will be thinner and (I think) lighter.

Yea, if it was just the battery that was different I'd get the thinner phone and put the battery mod on it. I think there might few a few other differences as well, but I can't remember at the moment

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
$720 for the Z Force and $70 for the Incipio qi charging mod. I just don't think this phone is worth $790. (And that's for 32 GB.)

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
$720 for the Z Force and $70 for the Incipio qi charging mod. I just don't think this phone is worth $790. (And that's for 32 GB.)

Agree. It is a shame they didn't go the x pure pricing for the z. Still seems high for those devices. I think the exclusivity is really going to hurt them as well.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Agree. It is a shame they didn't go the x pure pricing for the z. Still seems high for those devices. I think the exclusivity is really going to hurt them as well.
Yeah, I have a feeling that both the high price and exclusivity period will hurt this phone over time.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a typical Verizon pricing play. I wonder if the unlocked Z will cost less. I guess we'll see.

I don't think the exclusivity will be a problem *if* they have N ready for the unlocked Z by the time it's released. Most of the world won't even know the Z exists by the time it releases.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Moto Z Play DROID Edition will be $408.00.

Moto Z Play GSM unlocked will be $449.99.

Moto Z DROID Edition is $624.00.

Moto Z GSM unlocked will be $699.99.

Moto Z Force DROID Edition is $720.00.

Moto Z Force technically won't exist.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I'm a little shocked. It'll be interesting to see how many Lenovo sell at those price points. And how much they'll be advertising/marketing them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay