I am hoping someone can educate me. Before Google announced it was using the Pixel name, I was reading all sorts of rumors about the new Nexus phones.

Someone posted that updates would be handled differently and that they would be automatic and stored on a different partition of the phone.

It was also mentioned that this new feature may be hardware based and not available on older Nexus phones. Of course, older Nexus phones would still get updates, but they wouldn't be as seamless as with the new phones.

Does anyone remember this?

Regardless, I am guessing that updates will not be seamless if your phone is rooted. I am also hoping there may be a way to opt out of automatic updates if possible.

Nougat is good, but I don't know if I would want my daily driver automatically updating, since bugs are always going to be a possibility.
    10-03-2016 07:46 PM
    I am hoping someone can educate me. Before Google announced it was using the Pixel name, I was reading all sorts of rumors about the new Nexus phones.

Someone posted that updates would be handled differently and tjhat they would be automatic and stored on a different partition of the phone.

It was also mentioned that this new feature may be hardware based and not available on older Nexus phones. Of course, older Nexus phones would still get updates, butt hey wouldn't be as seamless as with the new phones.

Does anyone remember this?

Regardless, I am guessing that updates will not be seamless if your phone is rooted. I am also hoping there may be a way to opt out of automatic updates if possible.

Nougat is good, but I don't know if I would want my daily driver automatically updating, since bugs are always going to be a possibility.
    About software updates being handled differently, I believe with any version of Nougat, Android is split into two partitions, one has the current OS and the second partition will be reserved for updates. This way, instead of having to restart your phone and wait half an hour for your phone to update, the update can download completely in the second partition while you still use your phone and when it's done, it'll notify you that the next time you restart your phone, Android will be updated. This will save a lot of time. For the second part, I don't remember reading anything about it but it could be true.
    diesteldorf likes this.
    10-03-2016 07:58 PM