Why I still want a new Nexus tablet...

franquellim

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Nexus 7 (2013) and I still use it daily. I've looked into replacing it, but everything I've seen has the same basic, fatal flaw. I want a device with a pocketable form factor, with moderate specs and consistent, timely software updates.

Samsung makes some nice tablets. Amazon Kindle Fire hits most of the right notes especially on price, but I don't like being limited to their app store. Lenovo has some...interesting options and I'm intrigued by the Shield K1 from Nvidia, but does anyone trust that they'll get updated software for these devices beyond 12 months from release (if that)?

That said, Google, if you're listening, I'd like the following:

• 7 or 8" screen with 1080p (or higher) with minimal bezel
  • Not-quite bleeding edge processor/gpu
  • 4gb RAM
  • Stereo speakers on the front
  • SIM card slot for expandable memory
  • 5000 mah or higher battery
  • "Good-enough" build quality, plastics are fine, doesn't need to be cutting edge or make a statement
  • Fingerprint sensor on the back
  • USB-C with quick charge
  • Regular software updates like the Nexus I have

I know this was just a rant. I'm still hoping that Google will pull a rabbit out of their hat at some point. I can't believe that there are not a couple million people like me who would gladly hand over $250-$300 for something like this every 2-3 years.

Nexus 7 owners, what's your next move? I'm contemplating the Kindle, just because it's cheap enough to replace every 18-24 months so I can have current software.

Last edited:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
OP mentioned the kindle Fire tablets. I have a 7 inch and 8 inch. Both really solid devices.

Google play store and my apps from it install fine. Really easy to do. YouTube and a Google search give you step by step instructions even a novice can do. Don't have to root the devices or anything.

I like them so much I've stopped using Nexus 7(which in my opinion was my favorite android tablet ever) and even my Nexus 10.

Just thought I would point this out. Sometimes there's even great sales on the fire tablets.

Edit: But if Google sold a new nexus 7 or 8 inch I would buy it in a heartbeat still.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
OP mentioned the kindle Fire tablets. I have a 7 inch and 8 inch. Both really solid devices.

Google play store and my apps from it install fine. Really easy to do. YouTube and a Google search give you step by step instructions even a novice can do. Don't have to root the devices or anything.

I like them so much I've stopped using Nexus 7(which in my opinion was my favorite android tablet ever) and even my Nexus 10.

Just thought I would point this out. Sometimes there's even great sales on the fire tablets.

This is good to know. I'm still rockin' my Nexus 7 (2013) but to know that Kindle Fire can load Google apps is great news. I was wondering where I would go if my Nexus 7 died and now I have a great option.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
This is good to know. I'm still rockin' my Nexus 7 (2013) but to know that Kindle Fire can load Google apps is great news. I was wondering where I would go if my Nexus 7 died and now I have a great option.
If I could make any suggestions it would be to get the 8 inch over the 7 inch. I have both and the 8 inch is just a little faster and smoother. But as far as what I mainly use it for they both run great. I'm sure there are things that it won't run from the play store but I haven't found them.