Will you avoid a Moto Nexus?

Will you consider a Motorola Nexus?

• Total voters

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Assuming Motorola gets the next Nexus, and it has an unlockable bootloader, will you consider getting it? Or will you avoid it in protest of Motorola locking down phones?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Motorola knows openess its the freaking carriers demanding it. Motorola has some of best built android phones out there. built like a brick ship house. not some light weight cheap plastic feeling phones. Also Nexus line needs to get back like original line cutting edge hardware and software not a minor speed bump cough Samsung lol

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Heck yes. Motorola makes the best hardware and best quality in everything expect cameras.

Besides, if theres great sales for a "Motorola Nexus", might help with the case on being open can get them more sales.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I love my DX and would get a Moto Nexus. Being a Nexus would require an unlocked bootloader so that would take away my only issue with Moto. They have given the option on the Xoom so that is a step in the right direction.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The boot-loader would have to be unlocked in order to gain Nexus/Google branding. Google decides what they want in the phone and Motorola would just create it. Of course I am sure Google would listen to any input Moto gave. If the info conflicted with their ideas then Google would tell them no.

Also, Motorola is not locking the boot-loader due to carrier demands. Motorola has been going around in circles as to why the boot-loader is locked. At first it was because they were trying to protect the users. Then it was because they felt that their software shouldn't be tampered with. It wasn't until recently they stated that it was the carriers fault.

Keep in mind that there is no evidence to prove any of those reasons are legitimate though. We either can believe what we want or take what they say without questioning it.

Though if it was the carriers fault, when was the last time you heard about a recent Motorola phone released (anywhere, not just US) where it was unlocked? That seems to make me thing that Motorola is just trying to blame others in order to protect themselves.

Though that just my interpretation of it.

Motorola does build some kickin hardware though.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The locked bootloaders have nothing to do with carriers. See: Samsung, LG, HTC (up until now).

I want an LG Nexus, but I'll probably get this one if it comes out during the summer/early fall with AT&T bands. The idea of getting a phone that hasn't been touched by AT&T really excites me, even if it is from a company with questionable philosophies.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The OG Droid was amazing. If Blur was over with and they went stock, hands down the best android device manufacturer.

Figured I would share this with you guys. I came across this earlier today. It's a petition to get Motorola to unlock the boot loader. Will it work? I doubt. Will it make them aware of the number of annoyed users? Sure it will. What do you have to lose?

Last edited:
Reactions: dcesq06

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The OG Droid was amazing. If Blur was over with and they went stock, hands down the best android device manufacturer.

Figured I would share this with you guys. I came across this earlier today. It's a petition to get Motorola to unlock the boot loader. Will it work? I doubt. Will it make them aware of the number of annoyed users? Sure it will. What do you have to lose?

Hmm...does Brett not read the rest of the forums? lol

http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=784107#post784107
Looks like they fixed it anyway.

Honestly, I like the new Blur they're coming out with. I hope they push that out across the board, and not just to Verizon phones. Not that it matters, because I'll never buy a locked up phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Brett

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about hands down... I guess its all a matter of personal opinion. After holding an Atrix 4G in my left and my Nexus One in my right I think HTC's build quality is a bit higher then moto... the nexus felt much sturdier. But having said that I'd still buy a Nexus "3" from moto if the specs and carriers were right.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about hands down... I guess its all a matter of personal opinion. After holding an Atrix 4G in my left and my Nexus One in my right I think HTC's build quality is a bit higher then moto... the nexus felt much sturdier. But having said that I'd still buy a Nexus "3" from moto if the specs and carriers were right.

The Inspire feels amazing in the hand. The Atrix felt pretty good, but didn't really compare.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Hmm...does Brett not read the rest of the forums? lol

http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=784107#post784107
Looks like they fixed it anyway.

Honestly, I like the new Blur they're coming out with. I hope they push that out across the board, and not just to Verizon phones. Not that it matters, because I'll never buy a locked up phone.

Haha the problem is I go through a lot of the sections in the forum so its hard to catch everything.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I'd be first in line to but that, the only if being if its available to Verizon customers and it is lte capable.

I don't see that happening until Verizon goes full LTE, and you can just get an unlocked phone.

Haha the problem is I go through a lot of the sections in the forum so its hard to catch everything.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Lol I understand, the only way I keep up is by ignoring half the devices.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I believe the Nexus moniker is something that has to be earned because it is a reward from Google. HTC certainly earned it with the massive amount of Android phones they've put out, and Samsung with the huge success of the Galaxy S line. With that same logic, Motorola has also earned the right to create a Nexus phone and I would buy it solely if it was available for my carrier. I don't think that LG, Sony, Sanyo, or Huawei have earned the right to create a Nexus phone just yet.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I'm not interested or planning to get a Nexus phone
I rather have something with a Custom UI on top of it , like MOTOBLUR or Sense , Since Manufactures (Motorola\HTC) tends to add extra stuff (i.e. HD Recording , Motorola's Music Player "Connected Music Player or HTC's Music player , since stock Music player sucks ) , plus i really really hate the look of a stock "Vanilla\Pure Android" even though i'm gonna use a Custom launcher any way (ADW\Launcher 7)

but I might cross shop a Nexus made by Motorola with the anther Motorola phones when I replace my MileStone