Are there any other dual-core phones coming to Sprint?

bstmstrxellos

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't have to use the 3d part of the EVO 3d, ever. 3d in phones is kind like 3d in tv, the high end stuff will all come with it eventually.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
well the atrix was rumored but so far no real news on it.
we could possibly get the galaxy s 2 (epic2?) and/or perhaps a dual core optimus.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The Motorola Atrix in some shape or form is something to expect.

Also, I'm sure Samsung and Sprint we have a dual core phone later in the Summer.

a dumb cat

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Have you seen the sales numbers for the Nintendo 3DS? They are quite amazing.

I am of the opinion that 3D - of the autostereoscopic variety - in portable devices (gaming devices, media players, phones and tablets) will take off. The 3DS is proving there is a market for it.

I do not think the timing is right for TVs yet because of the lack of content. Once people start shooting youtube-like videos in 3D, things will change.

Anyone else think the EVO 3D is not a gimmick? I am actually looking forward to it, unlike a few folks who have dismissed it without seeing it.

Thanks.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you dumb cat.... With lack of content things cost more and take time... Now that there are move movies coming out and games it will take off... I am looking foward to see this phone and what it will do .. I'm not sure if it is for me but i'll decide after it comes out...

iSlackerz

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else think the EVO 3D is not a gimmick? I am actually looking forward to it, unlike a few folks who have dismissed it without seeing it.

Thanks.
I'm definitely not convinced of 3D's usefulness or its longevity, particularly on smaller screens, but I definitely think the Evo 3D is a competitor for top dog this year. It may be edged out by the Galaxy S II, but with a dual-core Snapdragon, 1GB of RAM and a 960x540 Super LCD it definitely has serious potential to rule the year.

The 1GB of RAM and a physical camera button make the EVO 3D the better buy over the Sensation, for me. Personally, I'm deciding between the Galaxy S II and the Evo 3D.

Can't wait for end of May/early June!

Mecha

May 16, 2010
Visit site
The 1GB of RAM and a physical camera button make the EVO 3D the better buy over the Sensation, for me. Personally, I'm deciding between the Galaxy S II and the Evo 3D.

I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. On one hand, the Evo 3D has a higher resolution screen and a physical camera button. But on the other hand, it appears that the Galaxy S II has a better processor, MUCH better screen, and a MUCH better camera (this is a 1080p sample shot with it: YouTube - Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 1080p video sample)

Honestly, as a current owner of an HTC Evo, I almost feel horrible for saying this, but I'm starting to lean towards the Galaxy S II when it comes on Sprint, ESPECIALLY if it has the same spacious keyboard (if not bigger) as the Epic.

keesor

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, as a current owner of an HTC Evo, I almost feel horrible for saying this, but I'm starting to lean towards the Galaxy S II when it comes on Sprint, ESPECIALLY if it has the same spacious keyboard (if not bigger) as the Epic.

Is Sprint actually going to have one though? The below article from CNET quotes Samsung as saying:

"it currently has no plans for a CDMA version of the phone at this time."

Next-gen Samsung Galaxy S II unveiled | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews

Last edited:

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually in the exact same boat as you. On one hand, the Evo 3D has a higher resolution screen and a physical camera button. But on the other hand, it appears that the Galaxy S II has a better processor, MUCH better screen, and a MUCH better camera (this is a 1080p sample shot with it: YouTube - Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II 1080p video sample)

I am sick and tired of people talking about the Galaxy 2 or even the Galaxy1 having a much better screen than the EVO or EVO 3D. What better screen, do you mean a more colorful screen? Whats better about font that looks like lego blocks because the darn pixels are so visible? Even though Samsung claims to have fixed the pentile issue on the Galaxy 2, the fact of the matter is that the screen is still 480 by 800 which lags consirably behind the EVO3d's QHD screen. To me all that means is that the Samsung with the increased screen size now have the actual PPI of the EVO 4G. To each his own, but I would never consider pixelated oversaturated colors to something rendering much more realistic color, albeit less vibrant, with much sharper text. If the Galaxy 2 had a QHD screen, then I would consider the screen ahnds down better than the EVO3D but the fact of the matter is that the new Samsung is still stuck with last years screen resolution which to me is most important feature of the screen. Just look at the Iphone 4's screen and tell me that any Samsung could compete with that.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I might lean towards the s2 also especially after seeing that browser smoothness! Idk but it will be a tough decision. at least I have 8 months to make up my mind :)

Mecha

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Is Sprint actually going to have one though? The below article from CNET quotes Samsung as saying:

"it currently has no plans for a CDMA version of the phone at this time."

Next-gen Samsung Galaxy S II unveiled | Mobile World Congress - CNET Reviews

I'll be shocked and disappointed if Samsung doesn't make a CDMA variant of the Galaxy S II like they did with the original. They sold millions of phones with that strategy, so I don't see how they could possibly go against it this time, especially with the lustworthy hardware in this new model. The more I learn about the GSII, the less excited I get about the Evo 3D. Yes, it has a 3D screen with a qHD resolution, but it will also likely have a much less impressive camera and slower processor as shown in the latest benchmarks.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
@linzgeneral The qHD is all that great to be honest. Yes, its defiantly an upgrade over the Evo 4G's display, but not by a huge margin. The qHD is pentile, compared to the Super Amoled Plus which has little to none. Then you couple that with the 'popping' colors on Amoled tech, you have one gorgeous display. The display on the Galaxy S II would translate to being much more crisp than the one on the Evo 3D. Just because the Evo 3D has more pixels, doesn't mean it'll be any better. When the Droid Charge launches, try to compare it with the Atrix 4G and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll be surprised with the results. On a related note, the Evo 3D has a Cortex A8 processor vs the Galaxy S2's Cortex A9.

With that said, I'd take the Galaxy S2 over the Evo 3D unless you just have to have Sense. :)

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
You know, I just realized if the s2 for sprint has a keyboard, it will be the first qwerty slider that has a 4.3 inch screen (or 4.27 if you want to go technical)!

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As a entry level android owner. I will buy the one that has cyanogenmod support and is able to use wifi hotspot

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
@linzgeneral The qHD is all that great to be honest. Yes, its defiantly an upgrade over the Evo 4G's display, but not by a huge margin. The qHD is pentile, compared to the Super Amoled Plus which has little to none. Then you couple that with the 'popping' colors on Amoled tech, you have one gorgeous display. The display on the Galaxy S II would translate to being much more crisp than the one on the Evo 3D. Just because the Evo 3D has more pixels, doesn't mean it'll be any better. When the Droid Charge launches, try to compare it with the Atrix 4G and you'll see what I'm talking about. You'll be surprised with the results. On a related note, the Evo 3D has a Cortex A8 processor vs the Galaxy S2's Cortex A9.

With that said, I'd take the Galaxy S2 over the Evo 3D unless you just have to have Sense. :)

Thanks for the response. I was hoping that the EVO 3Ds version was not pentile as this would suck. I ran to the AT&T store on the first day that the ATRIX was available just to see the screen. Needless to say, I was very disappointed and un-impressed. I am all about the PPI and 480 by 800 on a 4.3 inch screen is the same PPI no matter the vibrancy of the colors or contrast - it will still be able to easily spot pixels. I guess I will just have to wait and see each in person.

Eazail70x7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
You know, I just realized if the s2 for sprint has a keyboard, it will be the first qwerty slider that has a 4.3 inch screen (or 4.27 if you want to go technical)!

Just like the Epic 4g is the 1st 4 inch slider ;)

And put.me on the list for Epic 4g 2. I'm also excited to find out gingerbread was confirmed for the Epic 4g :D

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
There's some good points here regarding the hardware between the two phones. And I totally agree that the 3D is likely a gimmick, but I still wanna play with it. I think the thing that would prevent me from going anywhere *near* a Galaxy S2 phone is having watched what Sammy did to their Galaxy S customers this past year. I had friends with Epics and Vibrants and Captivates who would watch me do the "Call Papa John's Pizza" and be like "How did you do that?"

I'd go to show them and then realize "Oh... you can't. You're still on Eclair." In December. Six months after everyone else got upgraded. The freaking Epic 4G update just came out a few weeks ago. It's the same reason I never picked up a Galaxy Tab.

I'm rooted and I play around with different ROM's all the time. I was running the leaked HTC GingerBread Sense over the weekend. Went back to CM7 last night. My friend's Epic 4G, on the other hand, has been a nightmare to get a custom ROM on. There's very little out there that even works properly. We've tried so many ROMs now and, while they might be much faster, none of them has really worked properly. And many of the features of the phone don't even work correctly on the stock ROM. GPS, anyone? Sammy's just left too much of a bad taste in my mouth over the past 9 months for me to even consider buying one of their phones. A slightly brighter screen does not make up for the lack of functionality.

Sorry, Sammy. You've blown it in my book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC