Droid X2 or Droid 3?

DalekCaan

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I know neither of these phones are out yet, but what do you guys think someone coming from an env Touch (nice keyboard for texting) should get?

I would probably root and do all the hacking I could with Motorola's phones. Which would have a larger developer base?

I'm also not crazy about the size of the Droid X(2), and the rumored 4-inch Droid 3's screen size would be perfect.

But if the Droid X2 comes out well before the Droid 3 should I pull the trigger?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions. I'm grateful for any speculations people can provide.

Thanks

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well one thing is that Motorola lock their bootloaders so there won't be as much custom ROMS.

Other then that, it comes down to personal preference. Both phones are similar except for the keyboard. If you are not going to use the keyboard the X2 but if you are then D3.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It seems like you already have most of your answers, absent other considerations.

An env Touch typist would be at home on a D3 keyboard. On an X2, there would be a typing learning curve. FWIW, I've heard from a lot of people that once they get used to an on-screen keyboard, they don't want to go back to a hardware keyboard. So you'll likely be fine either way.

If you want the smaller screen, you've got it on the D3. The X2 looks pretty much like the X.

This article about the D2 and X comments that the D2 is essentially the X crammed into a smaller case with a keyboard. One would think the update of each would result in two phones also very similar in capability. So once again the form factor should be the main difference. I think both are supposed to be 3G as well. If other factors such as onboard memory matter to you, those could play a factor.

Whether you pull the trigger is more about whether you really need a new phone right now. If you can afford to wait and don't mind waiting, you might wait till both are out and see what others say and be able to play with both in the store. If not, you'll get a great phone either way.

Girth

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
For me I am waiting for the D3. I just want a powerful phone with a physical keyboard and could care less if it is 4g or not.

TC_Mits

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
$0.02

For me I am waiting for the D3. I just want a powerful phone with a physical keyboard and could care less if it is 4g or not.

You've seen my pov on another D3 thread. I had the TB and I know that 4G LTE is Disneyesque, "a whole new world" [Aladdin] of speed and performance. I have no intention of blowing my NE2 on any phone that doesn't have it. Add to that a personal mania for good KBs.

So. I would state the choice differently: D2G or D'4G' ? I will make do with the best cheap used phone I can get now (D2 or DX probly) and wait out the vzw/moto learning curve until they figure out how to give me the best of both worlds: a full qwerty KB with dedicated number row and blazing fast 4G LTE speed.

NOTE: I am submitting this May 18 at about 8:25 am EDT. My last two posts have been suspended for moderator review -- no pms in the inbox so I have no idea why. If anyone wishes to speculate -- BRIEFestly!! -- feel free... Don't want to go off-topic, but I have to presume that whatever is going on is somehow related to my treatment of the D3 topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: mayflower

roadkill87

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I know neither of these phones are out yet, but what do you guys think someone coming from an env Touch (nice keyboard for texting) should get?

I would probably root and do all the hacking I could with Motorola's phones. Which would have a larger developer base?

I'm also not crazy about the size of the Droid X(2), and the rumored 4-inch Droid 3's screen size would be perfect.

But if the Droid X2 comes out well before the Droid 3 should I pull the trigger?

Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions. I'm grateful for any speculations people can provide.

Thanks

I too was a EnVy touch user and made the same considerations myself. What I ended up doing even though I loved the physical keyboard was pick up the Thunderbolt which is something I think you should consider for yourself. I quickly got used to the virtual keyboard and I think you can too. Sure the Thunderbolt has a couple issues but most phones do, plus it can hacked and/or mod'd.

You should also keep the Targa in mind which also seems to be a very impressive device. Check out this topic as they discuss the x2, D3, and Targa.
http://forum.androidcentral.com/rumored-devices/67897-moto-droid-x2-droid-3-codename-targa.html

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got the D2G off of eBay today, I decided to skip the DX2, still considering the D3 (keep the D2G as a spare or sell it again) but ultimately I would like to see what Moto has in store for Q4. They already said they were going to ship phones with unlocked bootloaders starting then, the rumor is Moto will do the next Nexus with 3.4 ICS and if so that is the phone to look at. However I do like the SGS2 but keyboards are nice.

Astrodroid

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
LTE radio I too big to put in the D3

That's what Verizon insider BlackManX said as well. He said until revisions were approved, cramming an LTE radio into a 4" phone led to overheating. So it will happen eventually but apparently just not for phones already far enough down the pipeline to be coming soon.

Reactions: orchidsbloom