View Poll Results: Should the next LG V30 feature a removable battery?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! If not, I might leave LG...

15 65.22%
  • No, I don't need removeable batteries.. Would rather have wireless charging & water-resistance.

4 17.39%
  • I don't really care. Either is fine.

4 17.39%
05-03-2017 08:47 PM
52 123
tools
    If LG is reading and following this forum right now (which they probably are), which answer are you going to choose?
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-19-2017 01:53 PM
    I would want the removable but they seem to be moving towards non removeable
    Rukbat likes this.
    03-19-2017 02:37 PM
    either is fine, it doesn't matter !
    03-19-2017 02:40 PM
    If LG is reading and following this forum right now (which they probably are), which answer are you going to choose?
    Even if they are reading we are not the majority and I doubt we have enough influence to make keep it removable or not.
    amyf27 likes this.
    03-19-2017 02:50 PM
    I would want the removable but they seem to be moving towards non removeable
    Though they went non removable on the G6, we actually don't know what they are moving towards with regard to the V series. I actually think it was a smart move to capture sales since the average consumer has more use for and likes the idea of water resistance which is the primary reason they went that route.
    amyf27 likes this.
    03-19-2017 02:54 PM
    If it matters, removable. I've had nothing but problems with sealed batteries.
    flyingkytez likes this.
    03-19-2017 03:07 PM
    That's a great question. I remember a couple years ago when removable batteries were the 'in thing'. I used to have 2 batteries for my BlackBerry device. Was definitely handy when I was travelling and could quickly plug in a fully charged one and keep going.

So I would be happy with a removable battery and I think I would utilise it but having IP68 water resistance is also very nice. Not sure if we can have both

The smartphone market looks to be going Non-removable at the moment.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away
    flyingkytez likes this.
    03-19-2017 03:23 PM
    It's going to be hard for LG to keep the removable battery....the benefits are slowly shrinking...especially with the new generation of efficient processors coming out. For instance, the Snapdragon 835 is set to consume 25% less power than the 820 according to Qualcomm. If you couple this with the QC 4.0 which they claim...with 5 minutes on a charger you get 5 hours of use, that's a pretty big deal.

Unless you plan on keeping your phone for more than the battery lifespan. A typical battery lifespan can support 300-500 charging cycles.
    03-19-2017 03:30 PM
    That's a great question. I remember a couple years ago when removable batteries were the 'in thing'. I used to have 2 batteries for my BlackBerry device. Was definitely handy when I was travelling and could quickly plug in a fully charged one and keep going.

So I would be happy with a removable battery and I think I would utilise it but having IP68 water resistance is also very nice. Not sure if we can have both

Removable and waterproofing​ is definitely possible. Remember the Galaxy S5? Pretty simple to do. Only thing is you can't make it made of metal and also have wireless charging...
    03-19-2017 03:33 PM

I would rather have the military grade protection (US MIL-STD-810G certification) over IP68. It would be great to have both, but regardless whether you have a case or not...I think most people are prone to drops than accidental exposure to water.
    03-19-2017 03:52 PM
    I would rather have the military grade protection (US MIL-STD-810G certification) over IP68.
    Good luck seeing that on the general consumer market. Being designed to be compliant (like the V20) isn't the same as being certified compliant. Unless a company is willing to put out the test certification (which I'm sure would command an even higher price) it's little more than marketing.
    03-19-2017 05:10 PM
    Looking at the G6 and seeing that as their mainstream model, I still think there is a chance that we will see a removable battery in the V30. I also think we will get to stick with a 16mp camera. They need something to differentiate these product lines.
    03-19-2017 06:14 PM
    I'm going to guess they'll go non removable due to the whole water resistance thing that everyone is doing nowadays.
    03-19-2017 06:18 PM
    LoL when I want go swim with my V20 or go shower with it I buy one of the waterproof plastic bags for smartphones 2.99 € eBay.

Don't know if all those waterproof devices out there do well in salt water or chlorine pool water anyway..so ,mhhh, pretty useless.
    flyingkytez likes this.
    03-19-2017 06:59 PM
    You shower with your phone?
    03-19-2017 07:22 PM
    You shower with your phone?
    No but many do , I guess. But what sense makes waterproof then? For cool sweet water underwater shots?

Let it drop into the toilet?

More chance winning the PowerBall than let my V20 drop into the toilet.
    03-19-2017 07:36 PM
    No but many do , I guess. But what sense makes waterproof then? For cool sweet water underwater shots?

Let it drop into the toilet?

More chance winning the PowerBall than let my V20 drop into the toilet.
    More so for life moments.. talking on it and it starts raining and such.
    03-19-2017 08:06 PM
    removable
    03-19-2017 08:43 PM
    I would rather have the military grade protection (US MIL-STD-810G certification) over IP68. It would be great to have both, but regardless whether you have a case or not...I think most people are prone to drops than accidental exposure to water.
    Oh absolutely.

I actually went out with family yesterday and 3 people dropped their phones while doing various things. Either on the parking lot floor or around the mall. So drop protection is definitely something that some people would love to have. No one likes a cracked screen.

amyf27 likes this.
    03-19-2017 11:57 PM
    I think my response doesn't fit the 3 choices. My answer would be yes but I wouldn't leave LG because of it. Don't really care doesn't fit me either because I do care.
    03-20-2017 09:38 AM
    I replied with "I don't really care. Either is fine."
    03-20-2017 09:54 AM
    With the state of their current designs, I would not buy an LG phone that doesn't have removable battery. Battery removal/replacement is the only feature for me that "significantly, clearly, distinctly" sets LG apart from the rest.

The flip side of it though is if they were to offer amoled displays, higher capacity batteries, Qi charging, quick-charge USB-3.0...etc. I would have to re-think my views. If they are going to ditch the removable battery, then they need to do things to improve SOT. Even then, 4K / High FPS video is a battery hog. If the goal of the V series is content creation, I don't see how they can do so with a sealed battery.

The most awkward and impractical thing you can do with a cell phone camera is walk around, filming with a USB cable tethered to a battery bank in your pocket.
    marcus.plans likes this.
    03-20-2017 10:47 AM
    That depends on what they do.

If they're going the way Samsung did with the Galaxy Note, then they would need to compensate with a larger battery, better battery life overall by also optimizing the kernel properly and inheriting the IP68 rating from the G6.

If instead they're keeping the V's identity separate, then they can still put water-resistance, albeit with a gasket on the backdoor, which isn't as reliable and can be rather flimsy at times, so the rating will be slightly lower, at IP67, though that's still better than no rating.
    03-20-2017 11:02 AM
    I want it all!
    Replaceable battery
    Dust/shock/water resistance
    Wireless fast charging right out of the box.
    Don't need a glass or metal back. Who sits and admires the BACK of their phone for crap sake?
    Rukbat and lateck2 like this.
    03-20-2017 12:31 PM
    Don't need a glass or metal back. Who sits and admires the BACK of their phone for crap sake?
    Haaaa ....... guilty as charged !!!! Call me nuts but I remember doing exactly this with my Note 7 which was coral blue and absolutely gorgeooooous
    03-20-2017 12:42 PM
52 123