LG V30 Leaks and Rumors

Should the next LG V30 feature a removable battery?

• Total voters

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Poll: LG V30 removable battery or not?

I would rather have the military grade protection (US MIL-STD-810G certification) over IP68. It would be great to have both, but regardless whether you have a case or not...I think most people are prone to drops than accidental exposure to water.

Oh absolutely. :)

I actually went out with family yesterday and 3 people dropped their phones while doing various things. Either on the parking lot floor or around the mall. So drop protection is definitely something that some people would love to have. No one likes a cracked screen.

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I think my response doesn't fit the 3 choices. My answer would be yes but I wouldn't leave LG because of it. Don't really care doesn't fit me either because I do care.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I replied with "I don't really care. Either is fine."

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

With the state of their current designs, I would not buy an LG phone that doesn't have removable battery. Battery removal/replacement is the only feature for me that "significantly, clearly, distinctly" sets LG apart from the rest.

The flip side of it though is if they were to offer amoled displays, higher capacity batteries, Qi charging, quick-charge USB-3.0...etc. I would have to re-think my views. If they are going to ditch the removable battery, then they need to do things to improve SOT. Even then, 4K / High FPS video is a battery hog. If the goal of the V series is content creation, I don't see how they can do so with a sealed battery.

The most awkward and impractical thing you can do with a cell phone camera is walk around, filming with a USB cable tethered to a battery bank in your pocket.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

That depends on what they do.

If they're going the way Samsung did with the Galaxy Note, then they would need to compensate with a larger battery, better battery life overall by also optimizing the kernel properly and inheriting the IP68 rating from the G6.

If instead they're keeping the V's identity separate, then they can still put water-resistance, albeit with a gasket on the backdoor, which isn't as reliable and can be rather flimsy at times, so the rating will be slightly lower, at IP67, though that's still better than no rating.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site

I want it all!
Replaceable battery
Dust/shock/water resistance
Wireless fast charging right out of the box.
Don't need a glass or metal back. Who sits and admires the BACK of their phone for crap sake?

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site

Don't need a glass or metal back. Who sits and admires the BACK of their phone for crap sake?

Haaaa ....... guilty as charged !!!! Call me nuts but I remember doing exactly this with my Note 7 which was coral blue and absolutely gorgeooooous
55e183f6ad0c06576e2babe3ed8be39e.gif

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I want it all!
Replaceable battery
Dust/shock/water resistance
Wireless fast charging right out of the box.

Apple and Samsung owners apparently do. Sadly for the rest of us, that accounts for the majority of the population.

muckrakerX

May 23, 2013
Visit site

The only time I see the back of mine is when I take it off to swap batteries, which I did a lot this weekend because I was streaming NCAA BB games.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Removable batteries aren't a huge deal for me, though it is nice to be able to do a battery pull if the phone starts acting wonky. Having a removable back makes a phone feel a little less premium IMO. I would like to see the addition of wireless charging and waterproofing on the V30. They've got to keep the micro SD and preferably the IR blaster too.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Given the choice, I'd always choose to take a removable battery over non-removable. I need that extra battery life and I don't want to be plugged in all day to get it. If they're taking that choice away from me, I'd really hope they aren't stingy with the battery they seal in. Would it really be terrible to give us a flagship phone with 4000+ mAh?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: If the V30 loses it Headphone Jack, will you still buy it?

I know I won't buy any phone without a headphone jack.
I think that depends on the user preference. Once I tried Bluetooth wireless headphones (currently with Note 5) I haven't gone back to wired. Also have a Bluetooth stereo in the van. Some need the auxiliary cable

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

While I generally use Bluetooth headphones, I do like wired ones when the Bluetooth ones die in the middle of my workout. I would probably look elsewhere but it wouldn't be a complete deal breaker.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I think that depends on the user preference. Once I tried Bluetooth wireless headphones (currently with Note 5) I haven't gone back to wired. Also have a Bluetooth stereo in the van. Some need the auxiliary cable
Don't forget that many people will buy the V30 for the DAC which is bypassed with Bluetooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781