I hope LG resists the dark side

TechBob

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I really enjoy my V20, but T-Mobile will be bringing new bands on line that won't be supported on this phone. So, at some point I will need to upgrade. Everything seems to be heading the same way. Narrow screens (18:9 - horrible), curved screens, sealed batteries. I hope the LG V30 embraces NONE of the "advancements".

Last edited:

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I really enjoy my V20, but T-Mobile will be bringing new bands on line that won't be supported on this phone. So, at some point I will need to upgrade. Everything seems to be heading the same way. Narrow screens (18:9 - horrible), curved screens, sealed batteries. I hope the LG V30. I hope the LG V30 embraces NONE of the "advancements".

I like the 18:9 ratio

TechBob

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
The 18:9 S8 plus screen is more narrow than my V20. Soon we will have an 8 inch screen. 8 inches long but only an inch wide. If you want to reduce bezels, I would like a wider screen in the same frame form factor as I have now. Maybe it is just that my eyes are getting older, but I want a big screen, not a tall screen.

Actually, I am satisfied with the screen dimensions exactly the way they are now. Faster CPU, newer modem chip, the screen from my Sprint V20 (my T-Mobile screen is noticably dimmer) and I would be a very happy camper.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I love the shape of the V20, I don't like it to be too narrow like the S8 Plus, not the best viewing experience IMO. It's still pretty easy to use one handed. I just hope they keep the removable battery, IR blaster, and metal back design (unless they can make it military standard spec).

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I really enjoy my V20, but T-Mobile will be bringing new bands on line that won't be supported on this phone. So, at some point I will need to upgrade. Everything seems to be heading the same way. Narrow screens (18:9 - horrible), curved screens, sealed batteries. I hope the LG V30 embraces NONE of the "advancements".

I agree. I greatly appreciate that LG still uses "outdated" (don't make as much money) features like their IR blaster, Smart settings, a removable battery, and extendable memory. Just to name my favorites.

Last edited:

scottbeamer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I greatly appreciate that LG still uses "outdated" (don't make as much money) features like their IR blaster, Smart settings, a removable battery, and extendable memory. Just to name my favorites.
What does the IR blaster have to do with making money?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I love the shape of the V20, I don't like it to be too narrow like the S8 Plus, not the best viewing experience IMO. It's still pretty easy to use one handed. I just hope they keep the removable battery, IR blaster, and metal back design (unless they can make it military standard spec).
I just measured them side by side. I got both phones here. Screen width on v20 is wider. By less than 1/8 of an inch (but slightly more than 1/16th) .I would like to take a more precise measurement with my digital calipers, but the jaws on my calipers are made of hardened steel and they got sharp edges. I don't want to bring that close to the glass on either phone. I can see a scratch happening really easily. Difference is small enough that I didn't mind going from a V10 to my S8 plus (V10 has identical screen size to V20, and my wife actually has a V20)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll have to suppress my removable battery dreams... :(. Phone manufacturers seem to be straying from that feature nowadays.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'll have to suppress my removable battery dreams... :(. Phone manufacturers seem to be straying from that feature nowadays.

I do like a removable battery. But for water resistance I guess it's a worthy sacrifice

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Your TV is 16/9. Every broadcast network show is 16/9.Unless you watch cinerama movies on your phone 16/9 makes more sense. I watch mlb, nfl, many tv shows. All are in 16/9. When our tv's are 2/1 then I'll be ready for 2/1 aspect phone.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Technology always comes before the content. Remember when 16x9 HD sets first came out? Almost everything, including sports, was still 4x3 SD. I vividly remember getting my first HD flat panel and being annoyed at the total lack of HD content. My tv service offered over 200 channels but at the time less then 25 were HD. And half of those were movie channels. First couple years my new 16x9 set largely watched letter boxed 4x3 content on it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do like a removable battery. But for water resistance I guess it's a worthy sacrifice

I can definitely see what you're saying! Water resistance isn't a huge necessity for me but I totally get how that would be more significant to others than having a removable battery.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If they go with wireless charging, then that means glass back panel. That also means no military grade spec, or at least not as good as the previous V series.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx