Z Play 2 Slimdown

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I know he is a well known "leaker" and well respected, but until the phone is actually released it's all just rumors and speculation.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The only reason I would consider the Z Play 2 would be for an oversized battery. This 3000 mAh battery would cause me to look elsewhere for my next phone.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I expect to use my Z Play for the next 2 years at least. Then I plan to look for an unlocked phone that fits my needs at that point. But I can't see going backwards in battery capacity.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
If this is true, then it's definitely disappointing. I bought my wife the Moto Z Play specifically b/c it had the larger battery. I own a Moto XPE and was looking at the Moto Z Play2 as a possible replacement for the XPE, but not now. With my XPE, battery life is a concern and for any replacement, I will be looking at battery life. To that end, if the Moto Z Play does decrease the battery, I would more than likely look towards the One Plus 5 or Huawei Mate 9, both with great battery life.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
What's everyone's thoughts on this? I'm torn. I love the built-in battery longevity of the current Z play, but otoh the thinner profile may make using mods a bit more attractive as the phone won't be so chunky when they're attached.

3000 mAh will likely be good (given the other specs). Just not *as* good as it is now...

Report: Moto Z2 Play will be thinner with a much smaller battery

It's only going to be about 1mm thinner. Is it really worth losing nearly 15% of battery?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
This could be a way for Moto to promote their battery pack mod.

If I were to get a Moto Z of any variety, Force, regular, or Play, I would definitely use a style shell mod on the back to make the protruding camera lens flush with the rest of the phone's backside. If instead, I used a battery power pack mod I would get the camera lens flush AND have more battery than the original Z Play. Win-win. The overall weight of the combo would be a consideration.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I will be looking at battery life. To that end, if the Moto Z Play does decrease the battery, I would more than likely look towards the One Plus 5 or Huawei Mate 9, both with great battery life.

The One Plus 5 isn't even released yet, how can you say it has great battery life?!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
3000 mAh would more than suit my needs, but yeah, I get what you are saying, OP. The Play is currently really tough to beat - let's hope the next iteration does that! At this point, I think my next phone will be either the Axon 8 or the Moto Z Play 2 - or, at least, those are the ones that I'm keeping an eye on.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Only assuming based on the performance of the One Plus 3T, and the internet leaks on the battery in the upcoming One Plus 5, but of course you are right b/c you know what happens when you assume.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm fine with the idea of a mod, but I need to be able to put a case on my phone because I'm a notorious klutz. If using a mod means I have to go caseless, then Houston...we have a problem lol.

The battery mod is fine, but it's not just about the thickness. A Moto Z / Force / Play with the battery mod is really heavy.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Looks like a second Z Play will be my next phone then...This phone is all about the battery life. A mod won't cut it.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
If this is true, then it's definitely disappointing. I bought my wife the Moto Z Play specifically b/c it had the larger battery. I own a Moto XPE and was looking at the Moto Z Play2 as a possible replacement for the XPE, but not now. With my XPE, battery life is a concern and for any replacement, I will be looking at battery life. To that end, if the Moto Z Play does decrease the battery, I would more than likely look towards the One Plus 5 or Huawei Mate 9, both with great battery life.
I picked up the Z Play today and I love it. However I had the Z Force when it first was released when I used a carrier. So naturally loving the Z Force I figured I'd love the Z Play and I do. All that said up until today bc I have to send my Honor 8 in for a charging issue I did get the Z Play. I would have jumped at the Mate 9 had it been $500 or less. Overall the Z Play is a very good device and definitely a winner at $399. Plus I had some mods left over from my Z Force so it made the most since to get the Z Play. I love the device so far. I really can't tell much of any noticable difference between it and the Z Force. Especially not when they aren't side by side. Z Plays performance is plenty good!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek