Next Nexus

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Probably about time to let LG have a whack at the Nexus line. I doubt the carriers will change.

An LG Nexus Three wouldn't be bad, either. And Google might talk some sense into Verizon, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just not looking forward to paying Verizon's ETF and buying a new phone at the same time.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just realized that Verizon is the only one out of the 4 major carriers without a Nexus S, now that Sprint got the NS4G. That sucks. Hopefully now that Sprint paved the way for a CDMA Nexus Verizon will follow suit to stay competitive. That is, if the Nexus is doing well on Sprint, which I don't know if it is or not.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that Verizon is the only one out of the 4 major carriers without a Nexus S, now that Sprint got the NS4G. That sucks. Hopefully now that Sprint paved the way for a CDMA Nexus Verizon will follow suit to stay competitive. That is, if the Nexus is doing well on Sprint, which I don't know if it is or not.

I don't know how well the Nexus S is doing on Spring either (I hope it's doing really well), but it would be great for Big Red to follow Sprint's lead. Honestly though I think that the only way Verizon would ever pick up the Nexus Three is if they see a good deal of demand for it amongst they're customers.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Only if you know someone at Verizon who can get your non-Verizon phone in the Verizon system (which is against a whole list of rules I'm sure). I've heard of people claiming they've done this, but I've never seen proof.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
But I thought they did that with at&t and t-mobile phones? I think I am just confused haha

you can do that with at&t and tmobile because you can just swap out the sim cards, but you only have edge then, no 3g because they use different bands. However, it's different with Verizon and Sprint because the phone has to be activated in the store

Reactions: Officerpolabear

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Only if you know someone at Verizon who can get your non-Verizon phone in the Verizon system (which is against a whole list of rules I'm sure). I've heard of people claiming they've done this, but I've never seen proof.

Theoretically it *may* be possible by submitting the Sprint Nexus to Verizon to be tested and activated through Verizon's Open Development Initiative program. I have no idea how well things would go from there, or how much that would cost though. I tried to see if I could get a quick idea of what to expect from Verizon's Twitter support, they didn't do anything but link me to the ODI home page, and I couldn't find much helpful there. Maybe I'll call Verizon tomorrow and see what they say.

Up front thoughts though, I wouldn't get my hopes up. If it were even a teeny bit feasible for an individual to get a phone activated in that way, I think at least a few people would have done it for the EVO, or some other modern smartphone and documented the experience on the internet. I couldn't find a single thing about someone successfully activating a Sprint phone on Verizon using ODI, and don't think I (or the guy that brought the possibility to my attention) was/were the first person to think of such an idea.

Last edited:

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Add "Verizon" to that list and change "Samsung" to "HTC" and you would have my perfect phone. Yes I will be buying the Nexus Three no matter who makes it (please not Motorola...) but I still have my preference. And yes I know that the Nexus Three most likely won't be coming to Verizon, and yes I will be switching carriers to get it, but I would prefer to not have to switch. It's a pain and I don't want to have to pay Verizon's early termination fee.

Sadly it will probably be LG getting a crack at the next one.

TuxDotKing

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd be kinda worried if HTC made it, to be honest. I've had and seen a lot of issues with their phones, recurring ones being dead pixels and signal issues. I think I'm just really unlucky though. I'd like Samsung to do it because I felt the Nexus S design was really sleek and I loved it's SAMOLED screen, but I don't think Google would double-dip for it's Nexus manufacturers. Motorola's getting too arrogant while not bringing much new to the table, and I've lost all interest in supporting them (sad considering they used to be my favorite manufacturer), so I really don't want to support them even by buying a Nexus (but I will, because it's a Nexus :p ). Considering LG's IPS screen technology, even though they haven't proven themselves much yet, I'm much more inclined to want them as the manufacturer over HTC. I don't feel HTC has much to offer, especially if they don't give the Nexus any design distinction from their other phones, which all tend to look very similar to each other.

(Also, no one's really mentioned them, but I'll just throw Sony Ericsson out there with an 'I will never support anything Sony until they apologize for taking features from paying customers and then suing the heck out of people that try to put them back'. That kind of thing, even if the divisions are only linked by a parent company, does not compatible with the Nexus ideology or "Don't be evil" make.)

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the best manufacturer to make the nexus phones is Samsung. It's a match made in heaven because Samsung has excellent hardware and they don't have to worry about the software.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I thought we weren't expecting the next Nexus until Dec. If its already in factory production would that mean a lot sooner? I figure it will launch along with ICS, but even then I thought we were looking at late fall.

I'd love to see the Nexus Three come out sooner, but right now it's all speculation. When we get an OTA for Ice Cream Sandwich we'll have a better idea of when we can expect the Nexus Three.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I think the Nexus 3 will come out in Q4 because that is when Ice Cream Sandwich is supposed to come out. I hope it will have a quad-core processor because that is what I am waiting for instead of getting a Tegra 2 device.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
An LG Nexus Three wouldn't be bad, either. And Google might talk some sense into Verizon, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm just not looking forward to paying Verizon's ETF and buying a new phone at the same time.

I would never switch carriers for a phone. I mean atleast around where I am verizon is the best carrier with the best coverage and I just would rather stick with a carrier who has good coverage rather than a lesser network just for a nexus phone. Because after all a phone is only as good as the network that it's on.