Next Nexus

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to find a thread like this one, so I decided to post it, but feel free to move it if there's already one.

What are you expecting/hoping for in the next Nexus (or the next Google phone)? Specs, new hardware that enables cool things (like NFC did in the Nexus S), what company will make it (LG??), capacitive or hard buttons, screen size, etc.

Personally, I definitely expect dual core, if not quad core (because Ice Cream is expected to support it), and if Samsung makes it (probably not), then I would want Super AMOLED Plus.

EDIT: So far, this is what I want to have in the next Nexus:
-4.3 or 4.5 inch rumored Super AMOLED HD screen
-Samsung-made
-Tegra 3, 1.5 GHz dual core OMAP, 1.2 GHz dual core Exynos for a Samsung-made phone, 1.2 GHz dual core Qualcomm processor
-dual channel memory (like the Optimus 3D)
-HDMI out
-All GSM/CDMA frequencies, with support for both Verizon AND AT&T LTE
-12+ mp camera with 1080p recording
-2+ mp front facing camera
-NFC
-Personally, I would prefer hard buttons, but it doesn't really matter to me
-1GB of RAM
-Notification light
-HDMI Mirroring

Last edited:
Reactions: sfbates

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I want Motorola to make it with a dual-core Tegra 2 and a QHD screen. I love Moto hardware, we just need stock on their devices. Oh, and it better be on Verizon LTE...

...wishful thinking, I know.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I really think that Google should just make the developer phone the EVO. Last year's EVO set the bar way higher for what a Android phone should be than the Nexus One did. I realize that the EVO came out after the Nexus, but my point is that they were handing out EVO's last year at I/O, and not the Nexus.

Let's face it, the Nexus S doesn't really do anything ground breaking. The only thing they really did thats new is the whole NFC thing which no one has a use for (yet). The Nexus S isn't even dual-core.

So what I'm trying to say is, I really think the next Nexus should be similar to the EVO 3D in terms of specs. It doesn't have to be 3D, because in my opinion I think it's kind of gimmicky, but that's beside the point.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I want Motorola to make it with a dual-core Tegra 2 and a QHD screen. I love Moto hardware, we just need stock on their devices. Oh, and it better be on Verizon LTE...

...wishful thinking, I know.

Sounds good, but it would also need a great battery to handle the LTE... I had forgotten about the qHD screen! I guess I'd rather have that than SA Plus.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good, but it would also need a great battery to handle the LTE... I had forgotten about the qHD screen! I guess I'd rather have that than SA Plus.

Well, the Charge has good battery life with a 1600 mAH battery and the Droid Bionic and Atrix both have 1950mAH, so I'm guessing battery life won't be too much of an issue. But I did hear that the Bionic was delayed for issues with LTE, maybe battery. Perhaps Motorola wasn't happy with the average battery life, even though HTC was for the Thunderbolt.

And I bet everyone at I/O this year gets either a Nexus S or a XOOM.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I really think that Google should just make the developer phone the EVO. Last year's EVO set the bar way higher for what a Android phone should be than the Nexus One did. I realize that the EVO came out after the Nexus, but my point is that they were handing out EVO's last year at I/O, and not the Nexus.

Let's face it, the Nexus S doesn't really do anything ground breaking. The only thing they really did thats new is the whole NFC thing which no one has a use for (yet). The Nexus S isn't even dual-core.

So what I'm trying to say is, I really think the next Nexus should be similar to the EVO 3D in terms of specs. It doesn't have to be 3D, because in my opinion I think it's kind of gimmicky, but that's beside the point.

Yeah, I'd really like that too, and instead of Tegra, I'd rather have the new Qualcomm dual core chip or Sammy's new chip if Samsung made it. If I was on Sprint I would definitely get the Evo 3D, but the only turn off is that it might have a locked bootloader, so a stock Evo 3D would be AMAZING.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hope for a new gingerbread 2.4 that enables more 3d in basic apps to work well in the new 3d phones and with support for dual cores which are the new standard for high end phones
device should have qhd screen at 4 or 4.3, dual core at 1.2 or 1.5, 8 megapixel 1080p video, nfc, 3d

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My wishlist:
4-inch qHD screen (anything less would be stupid at this point)
Any non-Tegra dual-core chip (it's overrated IMO)
8+ MP camera
All GSM/CDMA frequencies, with support for both Verizon AND AT&T LTE (I'd settle for pentaband HSPA+).

After that, they can throw whatever they want in.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My wishlist:
4-inch qHD screen (anything less would be stupid at this point)
Any non-Tegra dual-core chip (it's overrated IMO)
8+ MP camera
All GSM/CDMA frequencies, with support for both Verizon AND AT&T LTE (I'd settle for pentaband HSPA+).

After that, they can throw whatever they want in.

I like that (the all GSM/CDMA frequencies)

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I like that (the all GSM/CDMA frequencies)

It's a pipe dream, but Apple's probably going to do it, and I'm sure Google would love to have just one phone rather than 3 (T-Mobile Nexus, Canadian/AT&T Nexus, Sprint Nexus). The issue is fitting all those frequencies in (6 GSM+1-2 CDMA+1 WiMax+1-2 LTE), and then getting the CDMA carriers to let it onto their network (Sprint would do it, Verizon probably wouldn't).

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It's a pipe dream, but Apple's probably going to do it, and I'm sure Google would love to have just one phone rather than 3 (T-Mobile Nexus, Canadian/AT&T Nexus, Sprint Nexus). The issue is fitting all those frequencies in (6 GSM+1-2 CDMA+1 WiMax+1-2 LTE), and then getting the CDMA carriers to let it onto their network (Sprint would do it, Verizon probably wouldn't).

I think I'm gonna add that to my list.

Xephik

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
First off lets forget about a Verizon Nexus. 90% thats never going to happen. They want to cram like 20 bloatware apps to make more money on each phone. They see a Nexus phone as a loss.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
First off lets forget about a Verizon Nexus. 90% thats never going to happen. They want to cram like 20 bloatware apps to make more money on each phone. They see a Nexus phone as a loss.

Unfortunately I think you're right.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
if the ATT/Tmo merger happens, will ATT get all the Nexus's then, because google still has to make GSM phones for the rest of the world, thats why we barely see a CDMA Nexus.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
if the ATT/Tmo merger happens, will ATT get all the Nexus's then, because google still has to make GSM phones for the rest of the world, thats why we barely see a CDMA Nexus.

I doubt they'll ever get it on contract, but I'm sure they'll just put AT&T's bands in with the first release (like they should have done with the first two :p)

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I doubt they'll ever get it on contract, but I'm sure they'll just put AT&T's bands in with the first release (like they should have done with the first two :p)

Either one works for me, having a nexus on EDGE only can be very painful, but updates can make up for it.

TheIrishManXVI

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
This is out there but this is a wish list:

4.3 inch 3D Super Amoled Plus Display (Concaved)
2ghz dual-core TI mobile chip (should release in 2012)
Dual 8 mega-pixel cameras for 1080p 3D Capture
2.0+ mega-pixel front facing camera
1 GB of RAM
Capacitive buttons is a must

And it needs to have every antenna possible stuffed inside it and available for every carrier.
That would be the ultimate Compu... (cough)... uh... phone :)

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The next Nexus is going to be a Motorola. Based on upcoming motorolas here's what the specs should look like:

-4.3 inch qHD screen fronted by Gorilla Glass
-TI OMAP 4 dual-core processor
-1 GB DDR2
-16 GB onboard memory (or a microSD card)
-NFC
-10 megapixel camera or greater
-1.3 megapixel FFC
-Either HSPA+ on T-mobile, or LTE on Verizon
-Ice Cream Sandwich

I'll bet money the next Nexus will be available in a GSM and LTE models. GSM is better for developers so they can switch out devices frequently, but LTE is also very important since developers need to start writing apps that make use of that high-speed connection.