So this thread is not intended to be an argument over iphones vs galaxies but more of a business related question.

Do you think Samsung will release a Galaxy S9 at a $999 price point next year as a result of the iPhone X?

The S8 currently retails for about $750-$800 from cell carriers (aside from the fact you can get it tax free on Amazon for around $650). The iPhone X is $999 and has a 5.8 screen as well and is a direct competitor to the S8. People are complaining about the $999 price tag, the notch, Face ID, Steve Jobs rolling in it's grave, and how kids keep playing on their lawns...but I think it's going to sell and this will be the pricing model going forward for them.

Oh and I currently have a S8 and prefer it over the iPhone 7 Plus I switched from.
    09-17-2017 11:35 AM
    to be fair, the iPhone 8 plus is about $800? would have to be pretty amazing to go up as high as a note
    09-17-2017 11:43 AM
    No, it'll be pretty close to the price of the S8.
    09-17-2017 11:44 AM
    I think the others a correct. I think it will stay between 8-9 and the Note will stay above 9.
    09-17-2017 01:36 PM
    I don't think the iPhone X is a direct competitor for the s8. I'd say it sits somewhere between the s8 and the Note 8. It's got dual cameras front and back compared to the s8 single camera front and back. The Note 8 has dual cameras on the back plus the S-Pen and related software so I think it sits above the S8/S8 Plus and just below the Note 8. The s9 will almost certainly bring the dual cameras on the rear so maybe a little more expensive than the s8 but significantly cheaper than the iPhone X (which isn't hard tbh)
    09-17-2017 01:47 PM
    Do you think Samsung will release a Galaxy S9 at a $999 price point next year as a result of the iPhone X?
    Im going to say no, for the reasons below in the following quote.

No, it'll be pretty close to the price of the S8.
    I was thinking the same thing. This is how i see the pricing structure going.

Galaxy S8 -> iPhone 8
    Galaxy S8+ -> iPhone 8 Plus
    Galaxy Note 8 -> iPhone X

So for the Galaxy S9 i would presume it would still be around the normal $750 maybe pushing $799 for inflation next year but hopefully the price will remain the same. Unless Samsung starts offering storage size options on their devices like Apple does, i just cant see the Galaxy S9 going anywhere near that $1,000 mark. That mark should only be allowed with the Galaxy Note 9 and even then, its a little pricy. Just my 2c
    09-17-2017 10:17 PM
    I personally think it will start a pricing war between the two smartphone giants. Maybe it'll be a "bidding war" as far as who can price their phones higher and get away with it. But, maybe Samsung will price their phones lower in comparison to Apple; hoping to snag more customers.

The iPhone X... When you add taxes, etc on that purchase, that's like two months' rent for me. Or a year and a half of groceries. I could go on... Lool.
    09-19-2017 09:34 AM
    I personally think it will start a pricing war between the two smartphone giants. Maybe it'll be a "bidding war" as far as who can price their phones higher and get away with it. But, maybe Samsung will price their phones lower in comparison to Apple; hoping to snag more customers.

The iPhone X... When you add taxes, etc on that purchase, that's like two months' rent for me. Or a year and a half of groceries. I could go on... Lool.
    PlayStation 4 ($299) +
    Xbox One S ($299) +
    Nintendo Switch ($349) +
    Starbucks Anniversary Blend Coffee ($14.95)

And it would still be cheaper than 1 iPhone X makes you wonder. I definitely love the look of it and I would love to have it but that kind of money could be better spent somewhere else.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-20-2017 12:28 PM
    PlayStation 4 ($299) +
    Xbox One S ($299) +
    Nintendo Switch ($349) +
    Starbucks Anniversary Blend Coffee ($14.95)

And it would still be cheaper than 1 iPhone X makes you wonder. I definitely love the look of it and I would love to have it but that kind of money could be better spent somewhere else.
    I love your analogy! Haha. I agree, it does look kinda cool and all, but I'd never shell out that kind of cash for a phone... I feel like that money could be put to a way more practical use!
    Matty likes this.
    09-20-2017 12:32 PM