Time for a Samsung Gear S4??

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there any word out there about a successor to the S3?

It's been just over a year since we got the Gear S3 (Nov 18) and about 2 years since the Gear S2 (Oct 2) so if Sammy are going to continue with the yearly update a Gear S4 should be right around the corner. 😃

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's been just over a year since we got the Gear S3 (Nov 18) and about 2 years since the Gear S2 (Oct 2) so if Sammy are going to continue with the yearly update a Gear S4 should be right around the corner.
Gear sport is it for this year. A replacement for the gear S3 will likely come out next fall

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Did you see the Gear Sport that was just released? Although not a successor to the S3, that's what's been released for this year.

Do you have an S3?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Gear S3 Frontier. But its always be my luck to get the model just preceding a major update/redesign of some tech HW. So, naturally, I was sure a S4 would come out the day I bought a S3 regardless of when I pulled the trigger:(:)

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
You've got at least a year I'd guess before we see anything that replaces the S3. It's worth it. I won't have anything else.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm happy with my S3 Frontier LTE and take most of my calls on the watch. Interested in what improvements they can make. Miles ahead of Wear in my experience.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
You all have caused me to lean towards a purchase sooner rather than later. Thanks for all of your collective insight.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You've got at least a year I'd guess before we see anything that replaces the S3. It's worth it. I won't have anything else.

I read that fall Is usually when they release watches. I got the S3 Classic a month and a half ago and I love it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I doubt it. Sammy usually does at least minimum 2 years before a smartwatch upgrade. Plus the smartwatch industry is very small, not fast growing at all. They need to make a smaller version of the watch.. The Gear S2 is too fat and S3 too big.. and it needs more apps/features. Maybe this time, have it run Android now that it has better standby time? Lack of apps is Samsung's biggest problem..

BTW I have the Fit2 and I really like it. It's small, comfortable, and has a few basic useful apps (mostly thanks to the 3rd party developers). I wouldn't wear anything bigger than that, too uncomfortable. Again, lacking apps.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I doubt it. Sammy usually does at least minimum 2 years before a smartwatch upgrade. Plus the smartwatch industry is very small, not fast growing at all. They need to make a smaller version of the watch.. The Gear S2 is too fat and S3 too big.. and it needs more apps/features. Maybe this time, have it run Android now that it has better standby time? Lack of apps is Samsung's biggest problem..

BTW I have the Fit2 and I really like it. It's small, comfortable, and has a few basic useful apps (mostly thanks to the 3rd party developers). I wouldn't wear anything bigger than that, too uncomfortable. Again, lacking apps.

I think with the Sport released last year, 2018 will be 2 years since the S3. They didn't wait for 2 years until another smart watch release, really. So I see a new one this year.

With Apple releasing new ones, Samsung isn't going to be left back. Getting those Fitbit and Apple watch users is Samsung's goal.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
They need to make a smaller version of the watch.. The Gear S2 is too fat and S3 too big.. and it needs more apps/features. Maybe this time, have it run Android now that it has better standby time? Lack of apps is Samsung's biggest problem..

I wouldn't wear nnything bigger than that, too uncomfortable. Again, lacking apps.

Do you have the S3? You're talking personal preference. I like the size of the S3 and would even go bigger. As far as running Android, I've never had a watch on Android, but Tizen works just fine for me. I can get over 3 days between charges. Lack of apps? No, I don't see a lack of apps.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Do you have the S3? You're talking personal preference. I like the size of the S3 and would even go bigger. As far as running Android, I've never had a watch on Android, but Tizen works just fine for me. I can get over 3 days between charges. Lack of apps? No, I don't see a lack of apps.

I'm a guy with small wrists. Despite this I wouldn't mind a bigger Frontier LTE. Take most of my calls on it. Tried Wear and found it inferior to Tizen by wide margin.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I fully agree I like the size of the S3 Frontier.

NYVET

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Just got an S3 Frontier, love it. Definitely agree with the lack of apps, but Tizen is so much smoother, reliable and efficient than A/W it's not funny. Everything has a tradeoff, and the tradeoff here is less apps than on Android, but the watch does everything I want and need it to do and it does it well. I highly recommend this device, though the S4 is coming soon, just saw an article on my Google feed a couple days ago, forgot when they said though, but it'll be this year, soon. Think sometime in August, but just 'rumor' at this point, and might be square with a curved edge screen like their phones of late.

NYVET

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Android wear is like the Play Store compared to Microsoft's app store. You can use What's App voice messaging on A/W, but not on Tizen. Just one example.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca