Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I would love to see the bezels shrink down on the 3 (not XL). I love the look of the Pixel lines, I love the glass "window" at the top, and I LOVE my rear-mounted fingerprint sensor. I hope beyond hope that they won't jump on some "in-glass" fingerprint sensor bandwagon - rear mounted sensors make the most sense with the way phones are held and used. When I pull my phone out of my pocket it is unlocked before I can even turn it to see the screen - because the sensor is on the back (where my fingers are when holding it) and because it has a ring around it to guide my finger. Besides the gee-whiz factor of having a sensor under the front glass, I see absolutely no value. Same goes for face-unlock scenarios - like I said, with the current design my phone is unlocked and ready to use BEFORE it is in front of my face.

Battery life is always welcome. I'd also love to see LG dumped from the product line and let HTC take the whole thing over again (like they did with the first gen). The Samsung OLED on my Pixel 2 is incredible. I haven't been impressed with the LG POLED on the 2 XLs that I've looked at. Google has the HTC staff now - let them do what they do best.

I'd rather have a glass or ceramic back on the phone, too - bring back wireless charging. I like quick charge, but I loved having a phone I could just set down on a charger and have it start charging - it's the only thing I miss about my old Galaxy S7 and Droid Turbo (and Nexus 5...). Android Auto is starting to see wireless functionality and cars are starting to come equipped with wireless charging pads - combine the two and Android Auto gets even better and the phone stays charged!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
This is an LG article, but I wanted to raise it: https://www.androidcentral.com/lgs-2018-flagship-have-all-new-design-and-be-released-june

Says that "Rather than using OLED like on the V30, Judy is said to be LG's first phone with an MLCD+ panel. MLCD+ has an RGBW matrix with white sub-pixels, and it has a brightness rating of 800-nits while also using 35% less power compared to IPS LCD tech. LG's OLED panels on the Pixel 2 XL and V30 left a lot to the imagination, so I don't think anyone will be upset over its absence on Judy."

So what do you think this means for the Pixel 3? Will they continue to use LG's OLED or move to this MLCD+? Move to Samsung's AMOLED?

Personally, I think moving to anything other than LG's OLED is better than sticking with it, and it doesn't sound promising when LG themselves aren't going to use their own OLED screen for their next flagship. Doesn't instil a lot of confidence.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is an LG article, but I wanted to raise it: https://www.androidcentral.com/lgs-2018-flagship-have-all-new-design-and-be-released-june

Says that "Rather than using OLED like on the V30, Judy is said to be LG's first phone with an MLCD+ panel. MLCD+ has an RGBW matrix with white sub-pixels, and it has a brightness rating of 800-nits while also using 35% less power compared to IPS LCD tech. LG's OLED panels on the Pixel 2 XL and V30 left a lot to the imagination, so I don't think anyone will be upset over its absence on Judy."

So what do you think this means for the Pixel 3? Will they continue to use LG's OLED or move to this MLCD+? Move to Samsung's AMOLED?

Personally, I think moving to anything other than LG's OLED is better than sticking with it, and it doesn't sound promising when LG themselves aren't going to use their own OLED screen for their next flagship. Doesn't instil a lot of confidence.

Unless this new LG LCD is Daydream-compatible, I don't see the next Pixel using this panel. I don't think Google will drop the Daydream requirement, even if it's only used by a small subset of it's users.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm just hoping google addresses the screen issues with the Pixel 2 xl and bumps up the size of the pixel 2. 5.0 is just too small. 5-3-5.5 would be perfect for the smaller version.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm just hoping google addresses the screen issues with the Pixel 2 xl and bumps up the size of the pixel 2. 5.0 is just too small. 5-3-5.5 would be perfect for the smaller version.

If they go 18:9 on the small one, diagonal will increase, but it probably won't be significant.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting article: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17032996/samsung-oled-panel-iphone-x-apple-production

"Nikkei reported last week that Samsung had extra production capacity and was scouring around for new customers besides Apple to manufacture its OLED panels for. It’s not clear what the results were of those attempts to find new clients. Samsung did not immediately respond to comment."

Really hoping that one of the new customers is Google for the P3/P3XL...

Probably won't happen. Google have already invested a billion into LG's OLED panels, so we're probably going to see them again in the next Pixel phones.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If you look at ALL Pixel products and see what their brand represents, you'll get an idea of what's to come. Google (like all their products) always provides the most basic yet top notch software with very little frills.. their Pixel line is supposed to be the luxury brand for geeks, top-notch hardware and software with minimal extras. I don't think Google will ever work with Samsung again.. don't think Google wants to spend extra for Samsung's screens.. Huawei will never work with them again because they want some branding exposure. I'm not expecting to see dual cameras yet on the next phone, but instead probably a AI CPU that can do augmented reality.. Google, again, is trying to provide the most basic, yet premium hardware and stellar software experience with nothing else. Don't expect crazy innovative features, Google doesn't do that and aren't known for that.. I do expect them to create hype and limit the amount in the beginning to make it "sold out" to create value.
The smaller Pixel 2's screen was a Samsung panel. I don't discount them from going Samsung again.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Count me in for one of the people hoping for Samsung displays. I really don't like the overall experience on a Samsung phone after using a Pixel but they sure can make a great display.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Interesting article: https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17032996/samsung-oled-panel-iphone-x-apple-production

"Nikkei reported last week that Samsung had extra production capacity and was scouring around for new customers besides Apple to manufacture its OLED panels for. It’s not clear what the results were of those attempts to find new clients. Samsung did not immediately respond to comment."

Really hoping that one of the new customers is Google for the P3/P3XL...

Probably won't happen. Google have already invested a billion into LG's OLED panels, so we're probably going to see them again in the next Pixel phones.

I would love for Google to use Samsung's displays. Without a doubt the best in the business. But if not....oh well. Rumors are pointing to 3 Pixels this year. Regular, XL and one super high-end model. We'll see what unfolds. I know it's a long way but I'm always excited for Pixel season.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I would like bigger bezels on the XL. I really like the look of thick bezels on my phones

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not with this lol.

But in all seriousness, I want smaller bezels but NO curved display. It's a nightmare for drop scenarios and you can never get a decent screen protector.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I can't tell if you're being facetious or not with this lol.

But in all seriousness, I want smaller bezels but NO curved display. It's a nightmare for drop scenarios and you can never get a decent screen protector.

I actually don't mind the curved screens. I had one on my S7 Edge and never had a problem with it even with drops. I also haven't used a screen protector on a phone since my Note 5 before my S7 Edge and I haven't had any issues with scratches on the S7 or my current Pixel XL. I feel like the glass technology has gotten so good that unless you are putting your phone in a pocket with sand or keys or something all the time it likely isn't an issue.

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it that pixel 2 ( regular) which is by HTC has bezel because they don't have the technology yet to make a screen that's bezel- less? I love HTC btw.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it that pixel 2 ( regular) which is by HTC has bezel because they don't have the technology yet to make a screen that's bezel- less? I love HTC btw.
HTC don't make screens, they source screens from other manufacturers. The Pixel 2 manufactured by HTC uses a Samsung AMOLED screen.

My guess is Google didn't order a small-bezel screen for the Pixel 2. Hoping they rectifily that this year with two Samsung AMOLED screens with small bezels on both models.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if there was a "notched" Pixel 3.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't surprised me if there was a "notched" Pixel 3.
Seems to be the trend.

After Apple implemented it, now a few other phones are adopting it and Android P will support notched phones.

So yeah, might indicate that Google will be going that way.

I personally don't care if it has/doesn't have a notch. I just want a higher quality screen this year.

anon(9485947)

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Just putting this out here.. so that in the future I can point back to this...

Too early for the pixel 3, BUT

for the pixel 5... front camera to be mounted behind transparent LCD panel

(you heard it here first... and if it doesn't happen nobody will remember this post anyway)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance