~4.3-inch 540x960 qHD display

~Dual-core Tegra 2 processor

~8-megapixel camera

~1GB RAM

~WiMAX connectivity

~Soft-touch backside with a metal kickstand

~Laptop dock, similar to the one made for the Atrix 4G

~Target ship date July

~Android 2.3 running beneath the new of MotoBlur, which is the same version found on the DROID X

Source: Techno Buffalo

Last edited:

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Id be excited, if this phone came out 4 months ago............

LOL!!! Wow... You aren't excited about this unless it came out 4 months ago. Us Verizon Customers are still waiting for a phone this good on 4G Network. Ohh... and will be for the next 3 months!

Between this phone, the Evo 3D and the Lineup T-Mobile has coming up it's just making me SICK!!!!

Verizon's network better keep up the good fight because that is all it has. Pricing is horrible, phones are garbage....

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
LOL!!! Wow... You aren't excited about this unless it came out 4 months ago. Us Verizon Customers are still waiting for a phone this good on 4G Network. Ohh... and will be for the next 3 months!

Between this phone, the Evo 3D and the Lineup T-Mobile has coming up it's just making me SICK!!!!

Verizon's network better keep up the good fight because that is all it has. Pricing is horrible, phones are garbage....

quoted for truth!

STL 314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Well Sprint users here is your next handsets specs:

~4.3-inch 540x960 qHD display

~Dual-core Tegra 2 processor

~8-megapixel camera

~1GB RAM

~WiMAX connectivity

~Soft-touch backside with a metal kickstand

~Laptop dock, similar to the one made for the Atrix 4G

~Target ship date July

~Android 2.3 running beneath the new of MotoBlur, which is the same version found on the DROID X

Source: Techno Buffalo

yum! this or the 3D? :D

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
yum! this or the 3D? :D
HTC all the way. Moto can't compete, especially when they put that WebTop nonsense on their phones. Plus, Tegra 2 seems to be weak in comparison to the new Qualcomm dual-core chip that's in the Evo 3D. If I were on Sprint, I would have preordered the 3D already.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
HTC all the way. Moto can't compete, especially when they put that WebTop nonsense on their phones. Plus, Tegra 2 seems to be weak in comparison to the new Qualcomm dual-core chip that's in the Evo 3D. If I were on Sprint, I would have preordered the 3D already.

For me, it's between the Evo 3D and the Samsung Galaxy S2. But it's starting to become that I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S2 :)

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
makes me want to go back to Sprint. If only they hadnt let their network go to trash in my area....................

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
For me, it's between the Evo 3D and the Samsung Galaxy S2. But it's starting to become that I'm leaning towards the Galaxy S2 :)

Samsung all the way in this match-up. I suspect HTC and Moto are going to fall by the wayside (among enthusiast) as Samsung and LG start to make huge inroads onto the Android scene.

SharonW

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Samsung all the way in this match-up. I suspect HTC and Moto are going to fall by the wayside (among enthusiast) as Samsung and LG start to make huge inroads onto the Android scene.

Ever since Samsung burned the Moment on the Frodo update (I bought the damn phone as part of my son's graduation gift), I'm very wary of Samsung.

My OG Droid just got Netflix today and it runs brilliantly. I'm sticking with Moto and the Photon is the first high quality Moto on Sprint, my original provider. Two year contract with Verizon is up in November, so I get to weigh all the options between Verizon and Sprint. Especially in lieu of Verizon's upcoming tier pricing. Sprint is so much cheaper and there's even WiMax in New Haven (I live in a suburb outside).

Also, I'll bet they announce that the Photon will have NFC! It only makes sense after today's announcement and the fact that Sprint is a partner.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Pretty good time to be a Sprint customer... We know the SG2 is coming eventually as well, so we'll have top-tier options from at 'least three of the five major Android handset manufacturers (a G2X equivalent would be sweet, personally I could care less for Sony Ericsson tho). Sprint needs more variety tho, last year they set themselves up well w/the Epic and it's keyboard + the EVO... From recent leaks it doesn't seem like the next GS will be a slider so that means three 4"+ slabs, ho hum.

I'm partial to HTC, today's announcements regarding unlocked bootloaders restored my faith in them... Even if the EVO 3D ships with a locked bootloader they'll probably just leak en engineering bootloader that developers can use to work around it (like what happened w/the Thunderbolt, and early root methods for the EVO 4G even, you really think ALL those leaks are accidental? c'mon!).

There's a couple of things that could sway me towards the Photon tho... If it's significantly thinner than the EVO 3D I might bite, or if battery life on the EVO 3FD turns out to be abysmal (that's one thing Moto's pretty consistent with). The one other thing that could sway me towards Moto is if the Photon turns out to be a world phone, I heard a rumor that it'd have a SIM slot for GSM roaming, that'd be a sweet option (locked bootloader or not).

The GS2 looks pretty nice, it's definitely thin as heck and I don't think I'd mind the plastic feel too much (since I tend to use slim TPU cases anyway, so I don't care how the back feels/looks)... But I'm still wary of Samsung's lackluster track record w/updates. They seem to be doing better this time around w/GB already imminent for the GS2, but their inability to push US carriers to release updates quicker still worries me... And don't tell me the carrier/manufacturer relationship doesn't play a role there.

HTC/Sprint more than earned their keep w/the EVO... Pretty sure they released over half a dozen official updates, some pre-Froyo and several post-Froyo even (and GB is already leaking for most HTC pones, let's see when the Epic/Vibrant/Captivate get GB...).

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It looks like a contender if the specs hold up. I dont know if I would get it myself but I'm glad that Sprint is steping up there game on the phone side. Now they just need to get the Wimax speeds up.

Jarvis73

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
It's about time Sprint step their game up if it's GSM/CDMA then I think I might haveta to cop this. I wonder how much it would be without a contract?

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: This is my next? is upping the stakes here with a report that ?Codename: Sunfire? will also sport a GSM radio for global roaming. Photon 4G as a world phone? Can?t hurt, right?

If they build a GSM version (Like : Droid Pro , Motorola Pro & XPRT) , Im down for it
Man i need a GSM phone with 4.3" Screen & Dual core

[url=http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/google/android/sprint-launching-dual-core-photon-4g-and-others-june-9/]Sprint Launching Dual-Core Photon 4G (and others) June 9 | TechnoBuffalo[/URL]

Last edited:

dsstrainer

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Im an HTC man... but the previous talk of locked/signed bootloaders has me looking at other women phones. This thing looks amazing. I really don't care about 3D so this might be a better purchase over the Evo 3d.

For those who think it will be GSM/CDMA... that will likely be Int'l GSM, not AT&T GSM so you likely won't be able to use it outside of Sprint in the states

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power