Let's have your Pixel 3 (or 4) wishlist

jdevenberg

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
My biggest wish is for a lower price. The prices of smartphones is getting out of control. Take the Pixel 2, refine the design, and lower the price.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
My biggest wish is for a lower price. The prices of smartphones is getting out of control. Take the Pixel 2, refine the design, and lower the price.
I snagged my Pixel 2 for £529 which makes it well worth it. In general though you're right. I can't stomach phones going over even the £600 mark.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Thats possibly the only thing that can change between now and the release of the Pixel 3. The design is a done deal.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I snagged my Pixel 2 for £529 which makes it well worth it. In general though you're right. I can't stomach phones going over even the £600 mark.

For those of us on the other side of the pond, the current exchange rate for a British Pound is $1.36.
600 * 1.36 = $816 USD
529 * 1.36 = $719 USD

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Rebrand the LG V30 (it has wireless charging, a headphone jack, AND an SD slot) it's basically the same phone as the Pixel 2 XL, but with some stuff added. Of course as us V30 owners know, it doesn't get the timely updates like the Pixel line. So in other words I want the best of both worlds, the stuff LG left off (or was told to leave off) the Pixel 2 XL, AND the stuff LG can't get right, TIMELY updates! lol

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thats possibly the only thing that can change between now and the release of the Pixel 3. The design is a done deal.

I think we all get that they are pretty much set for design on the pixel 3, but since we don’t know what that design is, a wish list is still fun.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think we all get that they are pretty much set for design on the pixel 3, but since we don’t know what that design is, a wish list is still fun.

I certainly don't want to get in the way of people's fun, however some still think a phone can be changed much 6 months before announcement. You might see software changes but hardware is another story.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
I certainly don't want to get in the way of people's fun, however some still think a phone can be changed much 6 months before announcement. You might see software changes but hardware is another story.

You're not spoiling anybody's fun you're just being a realist. When I started this I posted it as a Pixel 3 or 4 wishlist as, if we're even going to get a fourth generation model, it's very likely been designed already. These posts are just interesting to see people's opinions.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You're not spoiling anybody's fun you're just being a realist. When I started this I posted it as a Pixel 3 or 4 wishlist as, if we're even going to get a fourth generation model, it's very likely been designed already. These posts are just interesting to see people's opinions.

I think there is plenty of time for changes to Generation 4, however I'm not really sure we forum members are solid feedback that they listen to. Google does a lot of research with one on one interviews. I've been involved in a couple but so far only software.
I encourage people to sign up if they want to get involved in research.

https://userresearch.google.com/?re...nDate=dec17&labelTag=0&referral_code=Af455384

johntox

May 7, 2018
Visit site
It's interesting to read all the personal preferences. Here's mine.

I've purchased a very high quality Bluetooth headphone and find that I really like the look and feel of not having an ugly headphone jack hole in my Pixel 2 XL. And I absolutely love the freedom from wires. So I much prefer continuing with no headphone jack in the next generation of Pixels.

If the technology for wireless charging can ever compete in speed with wired charging, then do it. I had wireless charging in my Nexus 6 and used it a couple of times and then went back to always using wired charging because of how pitifully slow wireless charging was and how much heat was generated.

As always, continue improving the screen and battery life.

Since my Pixel 2 XL is a pocket computer first and a phone second, I would like to see the option for larger sizes than currently available.
I find having to charge bluetooth headset annoying.

johntox

May 7, 2018
Visit site
Pixel 2 is the best at the 2 most important things to me which are camera quality and voice recognition.
In terms of priorities for Pixel 3:
1.Headphone jack. Hate charging another device (bluetooth headset)
2.Facial recognition that actually works (my nexus 5x had feature but doesn't really work)
3.Fingerprint reader in front. Can't access it if it's attached to holder in car if it's in the back.
4.Less bezel, bigger screen
5.Cheaper version at price around $500

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Just curious what you guys think of this Pixel 3 CONCEPT (I.E. NOT ROOTED ANY REALITY!) artist's rendering. While I mute the music, the video/idea at least looks interesting.

IBJammin

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Please... no wireless charging if it means going to a glass back. Wireless charging is neat, there's no argument there but it's much slower than quick charging so your phone is out of reach for longer. Not all of us work at desks. The metal back feels better and is less likely to slip in your hand than glass. All glass phones need cases, keeping this current design is one that makes that unnecessary. If they do shrink the bezel on the OG Pixel 2 then please make the phone shorter as it's just a hair too long for solid one hand operation. In general the race to smaller bezels can go overboard. You should be able to grip the phone naturally without interacting with the control surface. Bring back the headphone jack. Expandable storage. We know you can do the last two and keep waterproofing. If the under-glass fingerprint sensor is viable I'm ready for that tech but if it's slow and unreliable save it for a few iterations. Let us re-map and tweak the edge sense.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone operating system. Could be the perfect combo...
ps. a little tongue in cheek so go easy

If you haven't checked out square home 2 launcher you might want to give it a look. Closest thing to having windows on your Android.

Andrew Poage

May 8, 2018
Visit site
IP68 Waterproofing! I dont care about wireless charging. Its slow. I dont care about the headphone jack its pointless. But stepping up its ip67 to IP68 WATERPROOFING should be an absolute must.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
IP68 Waterproofing! I dont care about wireless charging. Its slow. I dont care about the headphone jack its pointless. But stepping up its ip67 to IP68 WATERPROOFING should be an absolute must.
There is no such thing as a waterproof phone and there is no functional difference between IP67 and ip68. If you read up on the testing procedures and what the certifications actually imply that they protect against... You would be extremely hard pressed to find any real world scenario or the difference between 7 and 8 would help.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I strongly disagree with all five of these requests
Pixel 2 is the best at the 2 most important things to me which are camera quality and voice recognition.
In terms of priorities for Pixel 3:
1.Headphone jack. Hate charging another device (bluetooth headset)
2.Facial recognition that actually works (my nexus 5x had feature but doesn't really work)
3.Fingerprint reader in front. Can't access it if it's attached to holder in car if it's in the back.
4.Less bezel, bigger screen
5.Cheaper version at price around $500

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I think there is plenty of time for changes to Generation 4, however I'm not really sure we forum members are solid feedback that they listen to. Google does a lot of research with one on one interviews. I've been involved in a couple but so far only software.
I encourage people to sign up if they want to get involved in research.

https://userresearch.google.com/?re...nDate=dec17&labelTag=0&referral_code=Af455384
The broad strokes of Gen 4 are done, the details left to figure out are going to be based on supply chain and not based on user feedback for the most part. The phone releases in less than 18 months and therefore major design changes are basically off the table.