What will it take to get you interested in a Pixel 4/4XL?

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
A glut of "What to expect in Andriod Q" articles have been showing up lately, and now people are leaking code names for new Google products like that's must-have information. So naturally, leaks about the 2019 Pixels will begin amping up, as well, and will only get worse once the first developer version of Q appears (in March?).

It's got me wondering what it'll take to get me to give a rat's *** about a new Pixel, and I truly can't think of anything. Well, nothing realistic. And I don't mean that as a swipe at Google or the Pixel line. I'm just... good.

I mean, I think bezel-less displays in small form factor devices are stupid, with or without a notch. I've never been at a loss for memory with any phone, so 6 gigs won't do it. 5G likely won't be available in my locale til sometime in 2020, and I'm not exactly looking forward to what that's gonna mean for my phone bill anyway. And unless Google perfects X-Ray Spex camera technology, I can't see myself going ga-ga yet again over camera improvements.

So what am I missing?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
More than one camera, manual camera controls, miracast support, an OS that isn't severely lacking in features compared to Samsung and other OEMs.

I don't expect any of that to happen, so the Note 10 and V50 will probably be the only 2 phones that tempt me this year. Hauwei would if they could get carrier support.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to see an ultra wide and telephoto camera added. Google has done a fantastic job with a single camera and I look forward to seeing what they can do with multiple shooters.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
To get me interested, I'd like to see them keep the smaller form factor for the regular Pixel 4. Phones are getting too big for me nowadays! The 5.5" Pixel 3 is a perfect size and that's as high as I'll go!

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A glut of "What to expect in Andriod Q" articles have been showing up lately, and now people are leaking code names for new Google products like that's must-have information. So naturally, leaks about the 2019 Pixels will begin amping up, as well, and will only get worse once the first developer version of Q appears (in March?).

It's got me wondering what it'll take to get me to give a rat's *** about a new Pixel, and I truly can't think of anything. Well, nothing realistic. And I don't mean that as a swipe at Google or the Pixel line. I'm just... good.

I mean, I think bezel-less displays in small form factor devices are stupid, with or without a notch. I've never been at a loss for memory with any phone, so 6 gigs won't do it. 5G likely won't be available in my locale til sometime in 2020, and I'm not exactly looking forward to what that's gonna mean for my phone bill anyway. And unless Google perfects X-Ray Spex camera technology, I can't see myself going ga-ga yet again over camera improvements.

So what am I missing?

It's going have 855 snapdragon 7nm chip with most likely 6gb ram on stock Android this is going be one quick pixel . Probably face I'd also according to 1 rumor that's for starters if that don't get 1 foot in I don't know then .

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well if Android Q still has this terrible navigation setup with half-gesture, half-pint button setup, then I'll probably give it a miss, unless Q has some sort of other very enticing features.

I think Android Pie is one of the worst Android updates we've had in a long while. Far too many bugs for it to be released in the state that it was in.

As far as the phone itself, it has to be competitive on the hardware front for me to consider it. More ram, more cameras, bigger battery, a more elegant solution to the notch. It just needs to be a phone that Google actually put some actual effort into. Why a phone of this size with one camera has this tiny a battery, I won't understand.

The Pixel 4 needs to be a complete phone, both on hardware and software. The Pixel 3 wasn't, which is why other phones won phone of the year over the Pixel 3.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's going have 855 snapdragon 7nm chip with most likely 6gb ram on stock Android this is going be one quick pixel . Probably face I'd also according to 1 rumor that's for starters if that don't get 1 foot in I don't know then .

I do like the sounds of that OS! Face ID - hmm, I'm not a fan of that. But I guess I'd just use the fingerprint scanner in that case.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm not a hardware person, so I'm not overly concerned about that side of the build. It'll be what it'll be ..

I'm more interested in the 10.0 (Q) build. Some of the early rumors sound promising and I'm looking forward to the advancement of Android 9.0. Pie has been the most advanced and efficient OS build to date by far. Antone who says otherwise just doesn't understand the build. No Android build in the past even comes close to the intelligence and efficiency of Pie. Q should be incredible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm not a hardware person, so I'm not overly concerned about that side of the build. It'll be what it'll be ..

I'm more interested in the 10.0 (Q) build. Some of the early rumors sound promising and I'm looking forward to the advancement of Android 9.0. Pie has been the most advanced and efficient OS build to date by far. Antone who says otherwise just doesn't understand the build. No Android build in the past even comes close to the intelligence and efficiency of Pie. Q should be incredible.

I agree

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Pie is by far one of the buggiest builds of Android released. Smart or efficient doesn't matter when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc.

They need to make sure the phone works properly and doesn't have major bugs. New features and pushing the OS is great, but when you have issues like that, it shows the QA is quite poor.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Pie is by far one of the buggiest builds of Android released. Smart or efficient doesn't matter when text messages go missing, photos don't save, ram management is appalling, a second artificial notch appears randomly etc.

They need to make sure the phone works properly and doesn't have major bugs. New features and pushing the OS is great, but when you have issues like that, it shows the QA is quite poor.
What exactly are these bugs you describe?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

I can't speak from personal experience because I'm still using Nougat, but how different manufacturers implement their version of the OS can cause bugs. Even carrier specific adaptations can be buggy. It doesn't mean that the OS itself is problematic.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak from personal experience because I'm still using Nougat, but how different manufacturers implement their version of the OS can cause bugs. Even carrier specific adaptations can be buggy. It doesn't mean that the OS itself is problematic.

Every one of those bugs I mentioned were from the Pixel 3/3 XL. And yes, different versions/skins of the software can cause bugs, but these are all from Google's own phone. I myself as a Pixel 3 XL owner have run into a multitude of bugs in the short time I've owned it.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site

Well no software is bug free, so I don't consider the QA to be bad in that case. MS has bugs, iOS has bugs.. I mean, who doesn't? 9.0 on the Pixel 3 is as good as any prior OS release, IMO.

I haven't personally experienced any of what you've listed. My device does work properly and has been great. Regardless, the things you've referenced were mainly corrected with the December update.

We'll continue to see more rumors on the Pixel 4, as well as reports on the Q build. Don't know about you, but I'm excited.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Pixel 4/4XL will run the same software as my current Pixel 2 XL Al lest for a year.
So I have no interest in P4/4XL, I am looking forward for P5/5XL. Money is not an issue, I hate to buy because it's new. Don't get me wrong, I used to change phones every 4-6 months, now I buy shares of the company every time they come up with new things everyone is excited about

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 4/4XL will run the same software as my current Pixel 2 XL Al lest for a year.
So I have no interest in P4/4XL, I am looking forward for P5/5XL. Money is not an issue, I hate to buy because it's new. Don't get me wrong, I used to change phones every 4-6 months, now I buy shares of the company every time they come up with new things everyone is excited about

You have a *really* good point about the Pixel 2 line sharing the exact same software as the upcoming Pixel 4 line. Even if it's only for a year. That's a good thing to consider.