Samsung Galaxy S11 with 5x zoom & 108MP camera!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Grain of salt. I saw similar reporting in reference to the Note 10.

That's medium format resolution. Packing that many photo sites on to that small of a chip will be an engineering booger.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The human eye has an equivalency of about 40mp, but the acuity is only great in the central part of the retina - about 7mp. 108mp is a lot better resolution than the eye can see. We may eventually see cameras with 500mp resolution, but no one would be able to pick out the higher resolution picture between 200mp and 500mp. Or even 40mp.

About all 108mp is good for is enlarging a small part of the picture after you've taken it, and very few people do that to see tiny details. A good 12X optical zoom would be better to capture distant details.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S11 with 5x zoom & 108MP camera!

That one will be 2800 usd and only made in limited numbers so it doesn't really count :)
My message was in response to gernerttl who felt there was an engineering issue. I was pointing out that it has already been done.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
That one will be 2800 usd and only made in limited numbers so it doesn't really count :)

Xiaomi just released the Mi Note 10 for $610...108MP camera with PDAF/OIS, 20MP ultra-wide, 12MP 2x telephoto and depth along with a 5MP that is meant to have 5x optical zoom. Got a score of 121 on DxOmark, beating the iPhone 11 Pro and coming 2nd in the rankings after Huawei’s Mate 30 Pro.

Looking forward to the S11 series, hopefully their camera setups will perform even better! Samsung’s camera hardware is generally excellent...post-processing and noise-reduction/detail-preservation could be better.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I question that the optics will be sharp enough to make use of that kind of pixel density. As it is, high end DSLR lenses can have trouble resolving even half those pixels on a much larger full frame sensor. If the lens maxes out at 20MP (just throwing a number out there for illustrative purposes), then a 100MP sensor will have the exact same image detail as a 20MP sensor. The megapixel wars are not as bad as they use to be in the camera world, but I see are still alive and well in smartphones.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I question that the optics will be sharp enough to make use of that kind of pixel density. As it is, high end DSLR lenses can have trouble resolving even half those pixels on a much larger full frame sensor. If the lens maxes out at 20MP (just throwing a number out there for illustrative purposes), then a 100MP sensor will have the exact same image detail as a 20MP sensor. The megapixel wars are not as bad as they use to be in the camera world, but I see are still alive and well in smartphones.

I'm pretty sure the output would be no more than 18MP for the final photo. The super high pixel count is supposedly for more image data so neural engines can perform better computational photography for low light etc. How it works in practice, however might not be that beneficial.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the output would be no more than 18MP for the final photo. The super high pixel count is supposedly for more image data so neural engines can perform better computational photography for low light etc. How it works in practice, however might not be that beneficial.
I'd rather have an 18MP sensor. More light gathering ability, and some random programmer thousands of miles away has no idea what I want in a photo. ;)

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Apparently the 108MP will using 4x pixel binning to produce 27MP images...I don’t see how taking 108MP is sustainable or practical given it only gives extra detail in good light. I am certain that photographic performance will be better on the S11 than on the S10.

UPDATE: New leaks point to 9x pixel binning to produce 12MP images...not sure how 9x pixel binning works and whether it is practically achievable but technically it should make the photos more detailed (better in low light especially) and the size will be more appropriate (12MP is the standard)

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how beneficial 108mp camera will be, but I hope they work on improving their HDR photography. Apple seem to have taken the camera crown this year, so would like to see Samsung invest more on image processing and not just hardware.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
But rumours are saying that we will get a new Note again already when the S11 releases, that Samsung are merging Note and S into one

I really hope that does not happen. I love smaller phones-my S10 is actually the biggest phone I've owned. If the S and Note lines merge, I will have to look elsewhere.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech