Motorola Edge Plus, anyone else interested?

vzwdj

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Do you know 2yr contract pricing for those of us on buisness plans that are still eligible? Also, are there any pre-order in advance of 5/14? Thanks!

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
This is a very disappointing announcement, and looks like the end of the line for me with Verizon Moto devices, having been a fan of Droid Maxx, Turbo 2, and Z2 Force.

High price isn't the deal killer for me, actually. Verizon 60 day locking and only a single major OS update are simply unacceptable in this era of superb unlocked phone choices. It's also doubtful Motorola's camera can come anywhere close to Pixel or Galaxy, but I'd love to learn otherwise.

Lastly, and I'm surprised this isn't being mentioned in early reviews, curved edges simply have to be more breakage prone.

If unlocked Moto Edge pleasantly surprises with price and camera quality I might consider it to replace my Z2 Force this year, but I have to agree with the sentiment that Edge Plus looks like a Verizon marketing ploy targeting unsophisticated customers who can afford $1,000 phones, and do not read forums like this one.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
the camera reviews on youtube against the s20 and iPhone are mind blowing, especially the macro camera
I haven't seen any detailed reviews, it doesn't sound like anyone has had the Edge+ in their hands for more than a few minutes. The camera certainly has not been measured yet by any credible imaging site, has it? Nearly everything I'm reading is just spec-based, on paper, no real world hands-on.

Are there hands on YouTube reviews you can post links to here?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
On Twitter someone from Moto claims two major OS updates and three years of monthly security updates. If true, that would be very helpful. I'm not so hung up on security updates as long as one doesn't go on shady websites. At least that's been my experience.

I have to say the camera comparison shots on youtube are pretty impressive but of course it's better to wait on actual reviews to have a better idea of camera quality.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
On Twitter someone from Moto claims two major OS updates and three years of monthly security updates. If true, that would be very helpful. I'm not so hung up on security updates as long as one doesn't go on shady websites. At least that's been my experience.

I have to say the camera comparison shots on youtube are pretty impressive but of course it's better to wait on actual reviews to have a better idea of camera quality.

I'll believe it when I see it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/ac-podcast-469-moto-g-power-and-moto-g-stylus

Doug Michau, executive director of North American business development at Motorola, was on the Android Central podcast and said 1 major OS update. Granted the topic was the low-end Moto G line but still... Seems like that's across the board at current Motorola.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Many full reviews are out this morning and are what we expected. The edge plus screen is gimmicky, cameras are good, but not the best, questions about the promised update schedule, etc. I'm still of the belief that it will likely be discounted later in the year significantly and at that point might be a good value. Right now the OnePlus 8 Pro has more advantages without a doubt.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Many full reviews are out this morning and are what we expected. The edge plus screen is gimmicky, cameras are good, but not the best, questions about the promised update schedule, etc. I'm still of the belief that it will likely be discounted later in the year significantly and at that point might be a good value. Right now the OnePlus 8 Pro has more advantages without a doubt.
Yep nothing surprising about the reviews and honestly I thought the camera will be much more worse. Looks like they have atleast got some of their act together. Yeah not much appealing reason to get this phone but both Motorola/Verizon probably already knows that and the sales channel strategy will most likely go like this. Unsuspecting costumer walks into Verizon store and asks to recommend me a phone. Sales rep here we have the best phone we can sell which is the Motorola Edge+ and we will throw in some usual trade in prices and other good discounts. And the gimmicky edge display will help in selling the phone at store shelves because it looks cool. As MKBHD says prime example of form over function.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Further disappointing confirmations in these reviews: No IP rating/ waterproofing, 1080p very poor 5G coverage, no face unlock, no microSD.

Camera sounds unexciting.

Surprisingly, the Edge Touch controls sound useful, but no more so than the One Button Nav I love on my Z2F right now (I'm really not looking forward to giving that up for any new phone, Moto or otherwise).

Again, very disappointed by Moto and Verizon. I guess what I really want is a waterproof Z2F with better low light camera, full stop. Edge+ adds nothing I really want, and loses what I appreciate most on Z2F (QHD, microSD, touch nav, front flash, and even Show Me voice control).

Fwiw, I'm now keeping my eye out for the TCL 10 Pro reviews coming soon, would still sacrifice what I love on Z2F, but not spending $1K to do it.

Last edited:

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't listen to most reviewers anymore just like I don't go to AC's main page because it's all about the clicks.

That being said, the Wife really wants this phone so I guess I am getting one too but I'm still hanging on to my Pixel.

As far as the 5g thing goes, I subcontract in underground locating for Verizon and at least in my area Verizon is pouring in a ton of money into getting 5g going this summer.

Everyone is having a fit over the FHD screen for the price, know what that tells me? Mad battery life.

But above all else only enthusiast care about that it is not as good as Samsung, Apple or even One Plus. Even if it was...the sheep will stay with the flock...

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't listen to most reviewers anymore just like I don't go to AC's main page because it's all about the clicks.

I hear you on that, recall Z2 Force reviews being pretty misleading for what turned out to be an excellent, (almost) price-worthy flagship, across the board. Back then, reviewers piled on complaining about Z2F having smaller battery than first gen Z, even though it wound up delivering longer battery life overall. They also got needlessly wrapped around the axel that Z2F was too thin and "hard to hold", not catching on that it's actually an ideal size/weight with either a protector case or mod attached.

As far as the 5g thing goes, I subcontract in underground locating for Verizon and at least in my area Verizon is pouring in a ton of money into getting 5g going this summer.

What seems to be missed in 5G reporting is that Verizon's mmwave focus has more to do with fixed residential service, competing with cable and fiber. Coverage where we're typically not on wifi beyond our neighborhoods, incl. large public spaces, transit, shopping centers, parks, etc. could be a long time coming.

Everyone is having a fit over the FHD screen for the price, know what that tells me? Mad battery life...

I hear you on this, too, in fact my first ever Moto, the Verizon Droid Maxx, was a great example of well balanced design, where a lower res screen and mid-grade processor provided great battery life, for its time, and perfectly good performance.

Still, I'll need to see the Edge+ 1080p with my own eyes before I'm a believer, since the smooth, crisp look of my Z2F QHD+ screen is something I still appreciate, every day.

But above all else only enthusiast care about that it is not as good as Samsung, Apple or even One Plus. Even if it was...the sheep will stay with the flock...

I dunno how true this is, the feature gap now seems to be a lot bigger now for Edge+ vs. current flagships, and risks disheartening and casting off premium Moto / Verizon Droid fans like me. $999 feels like not enough of a "discount" vs. $1100 to sacrifice what are now flagship table stakes like waterproofing, face unlock, and low light camera performance. And why oh why would I want to submit to 60 days of Verizon SIM lock, plus 2 year device payment plan?

That said: Verizon, if you're listening, an awesome upgrade promotion out of the gate might still entice me to give Edge+ a try, but it's gotta be more than a token discount...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Further disappointing confirmations in these reviews: No IP rating/ waterproofing, 1080p very poor 5G coverage, no face unlock, no microSD.

Hmm. Not sure why the no IP rating needed confirmation. All the initial hands-ons referred to Moto's nanocoating. Also - water resistance isn't water proof.

1080p? That's not a surprise from the initial looks.

Poor 5G coverage? I mean, that's on Verizon so...?

No face unlock, no micro SD - pretty sure that was on the initial hands-ons as well.

Camera sounds unexciting.

I mean, it seems like it's finally keeping up with Samsung now - outside of zoom. And in some cases had as-good if not better low-light, night-mode shots than Pixel in some of the reviews I saw.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I mean, it seems like it's finally keeping up with Samsung now - outside of zoom. And in some cases had as-good if not better low-light, night-mode shots than Pixel in some of the reviews I saw.

Can you please point us to some of those reviews? I feel like I'm reading most/all reviews as they appear in my feed, but may be missing some. All the hands-on I've read so far have called out Edge+ low-light and night-mode as relative weaknesses vs. strengths.

As for my remark that recent reviews have confirmed some disappointments, here's why I said that...

Re: water rating, at least one pre-hands-on report (e.g. Anandtech) on last month's Moto announcement stated IP68 rating, while others indicated uncertainty and awaiting Motorola clarification. I'm happ(ier) to now read Moto is describing it as having been "tested to IP68 standards", and describing new gaskets that (I think) intend to imply Edge+ is more water resistant than my Z2F.

Re: 5G, multiple reviews I read muddied the waters by excitedly reporting Edge and Edge+ both support 5G sub-6, while neglecting to clarify that Verizon's 5G network is exclusively mmWave based right now (sub-6 rollout coming).

Re: microSD, at least one early hands-on (e.g. TechRadar) inaccurately reported there is a microSD slot.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Edge Plus

Can you please point us to some of those reviews? I feel like I'm reading most/all reviews as they appear in my feed, but may be missing some. All the hands-on I've read so far have called out Edge+ low-light and night-mode as relative weaknesses vs. strengths.

Based on these, I feel like the Motorola Moto Edge+ can hang with the current crop of flagships.

https://youtu.be/wrUhOqknFc8

https://youtu.be/jB96FBxh4IA

https://youtu.be/7o29q3erKnA

https://youtu.be/MlLOZLdPHaI

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
This might be a fun phone to get if there is a huge Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal. Of course at that point people may be looking to the 2021 phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This might be a fun phone to get if there is a huge Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal. Of course at that point people may be looking to the 2021 phones.

Maybe a Best Buy deal/glitch like how folks got the Moto Z4 for $0.83/month AND a $10 bill credit? :-$