File transfer?

Jim Bojan

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm anctiously awaiting stock to return on the Samsung ARM based Chromebook. I have a pretty good idea of what it can and can not do. There is one thing that I currently do on my net book that I am not clear if I can do on the Chromebook.

While on vacation, every night I plug each of the cameras and phones into my net book, transfer the pictures and video from the SD cards to the hard drive, and then upload all to my FTP server at home overnight. Then I can delete the SD cards in the morning and start fresh. It looks like I can do this with the CB. At least I see it can access files on the SD card. Can I then copy them over to a USB external drive? I found a web based FTP program, so I think I have that covered.

I see people have been having trouble with the CB recognizing cameras and phones, and end up removing the SD cards. Any comments on this? Anyone get the CB to recognize their Samsung Galaxy S3? Hoping that keeping everything Samsung will help.

Anyway, I'll know the answer myself if these ever come back in stock.

jm345

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I always transfer photos from the memory cards not the camera so I can't say if the CB will recognize a camera. I have the new Acer C7 Chromebook and the SD reader works fine to download my photos onto the hard drive. I also use the USB port with a memory card adapter to download photos from a Compactflash card. When I have all my photos on the C7 hard drive I plug in a USB hard drive and back up the files so I now have two copies and can erase the memory cards. The C7 has a 320GB hard drive so there is plenty of space to hold my photos until I get back to my main computer.

I assume with the Samsung you could copy from the SD reader directly to a USB hard drive. I don't know about FTP transfer if you can get that to work I don't see why your plan to transfer from the USB drive wouldn't work.

Lynne Mass

May 18, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to figure out how to get my friend's Chromebook to allow me to download SD card jpegs and CR photos to an external USB hard drive attached to the Chromebook. The book sees both the SD card and the drive, but dragging a photo onto the drive produces nothing on the drive - I can't evem darg a photo on DOWNLOADS. I have the drive formatted for my macs. Should I reformat it in a universal format and what would that be?

I want to use this combination for an upcoming trip where I expect to take a lot of photos. Putting them on an ipad won't work - too many, too large and I will have no wireless access.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad