Just picked up a Series 3 chromebook.

itsjose

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else pick one up recently?
I really like the simplicity of it. I would like programs like Skype and such to be available.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
i just picked one up about a week ago myself.. i love it. i also bought a surface rt today thinking i wanted something of more use but may be regretting that purchase.. i think im a googler through and through and may end up returning surface for maybe a nexus 10 or something.. not sure yet.. going to play around more on surface but deff love my chromebook.

itsjose

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i just picked one up about a week ago myself.. i love it. i also bought a surface rt today thinking i wanted something of more use but may be regretting that purchase.. i think im a googler through and through and may end up returning surface for maybe a nexus 10 or something.. not sure yet.. going to play around more on surface but deff love my chromebook.

I almost bought a Surface. I loved the idea of a thin keyboard cover. but I would HAVE to go for the PRO series just for being able to run desktop programs. Problem is it's running just as much as ultrabooks out there. It's really disappointing.

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I just returned surface.. Love the hardware loved the ui but lack of apps on rt is what did me in.. I really felt like It didn't offer me anything more than what my chrome book does and browsing Web at least is faster on chrome book than surface.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

ceyers50

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Chromebook for 3 weeks and absolutely love it. It took some work figuring out how to transfer ebooks from my library to my Kindle and doing things differently than I would on a windows machine, but I'm loving the challenge.

g8rzz187

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe how awesome these things are - just loaded some pics/vids/docs/music on a 64gb SDXC today. Typing this on the couch instead of in the office, and with a real keyboard instead on a smartphone/tablet screen. If these get some better games and/or DualShock support...wow

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine from Best Buy. I'm essentially taking it on a test drive, because they assured me I could return it within 30 days for a full refund if it didn't meet my needs--I actually ordered it the day before their policy changed to a 14 day return window.

The main reason I'm trying it is to see if this will work as a portable work laptop for my wife. She absolutely doesn't want anything heavier than 3 pounds, and she finds Android tablets a little too baffling. My suspicion is that she'll ultimately end up with an iPad, but she was interested in trying a Chromebook.

So far, I'm quite impressed. Everything works fast enough, the hardware feels high quality, Bluetooth mouse works fine. Love how quickly it starts up. The speakers are remarkably good for playing music. Now I guess I'll wait to see if and when the Pixel drops to a price that mere mortals can afford ...

zxphenomenalxz

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I wound up returning my chromebook. No specific reason I loved it and actually wanted to get the pixel but couldn't justify price. I'll still get pixel if with in 60 days they announce it will merge with android and you can run apps then I'll get pixel. I'm premier silver so I have a longer Window. I actually purchased a open box Macbook air for 750. Returned chromebook essentially paid 500 when all was said and done. So if anything crazy leaks or gets evolved with chrome os them I'll grab pixel.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Alas, thus endeth the Chromebook experiment for now. My wife liked it for a while, then noted a few deficiencies with the whole concept. She needs to review a lot of documents, and noticed that when converting a Word doc to Google Docs, the redline function doesn't translate. Going to return the Chromebook to Best Buy, might try a Windows 8 laptop--maybe the Asus Vivobook X202, which is pretty lightweight. Maybe I'll try a Chromebook again in the future, when Google has improved the OS even more ...

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately the "apps" on Chrome OS are dreadful. I love mine but some of the limitations become clear if you think about anything besides browsing. Mine is a companion for my Nexus 7 and in that aspect it delivers since the main thing I can't do on my tablet (well don't like doing) is browsing non-mobile websites.

I'm hoping machines like the Pixel will encourage more developers to look at Chrome OS because there is a lot of potential. I love lightweight operating systems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD