Thinking about getting a chrome book, but have some questions.

crow11ad

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
First off I have a Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 32 gig tablet....we also have a Windows 7 laptop. Since we are looking to get a 2nd type of device, the Chromebook seems like a no brainer. So here are my questions.

1) I know the Samsung has 16 gig and the Acer has the 320 gig. I do like the fact with the Samsung it's on in 8 seconds, but I am worried about the space. How much space with everything installed after you turn it on? Is it just shy of 16 or like half of it used as part of the OS?

2) Apps...Now will the apps tie a lot of the space of the 16 gig or or is it more web based and the app itself is not really installed on the 16 gigs?

3) If the apps are actually installed to the hd, can those apps be installed to a memory card?

Either way this seems perfect.

APeX3181

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if the OS takes up space out of the 16 or not, will have to check mine to see.

Just be aware there really aren't any "apps". Google labels them as web apps, when all they really are is links to websites. The chromebook only runs Chrome OS which is basically a web browser with a simple desktop UI. Files can be downloaded off the internet, but you can't really install apps/programs on a Chromebook.

itsjose

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
1) I know the Samsung has 16 gig and the Acer has the 320 gig. I do like the fact with the Samsung it's on in 8 seconds, but I am worried about the space. How much space with everything installed after you turn it on? Is it just shy of 16 or like half of it used as part of the OS?

I haven't been able to see available memory but I'm sure its in the ball park area.

2) Apps...Now will the apps tie a lot of the space of the 16 gig or or is it more web based and the app itself is not really installed on the 16 gigs?
The webapps are basically short cuts to other sites. the entire idea of Chrome OS is to be on the web ALL THE TIME.

3) If the apps are actually installed to the hd, can those apps be installed to a memory card?

There is a memory card slot, I considered on buying a 16GB card but I'm going to hold off, just because I dont need it.

quick notes on the chromebook.
It's extremely light and feels somewhat cheap.
It's quick to turn on and works great to browse the web.
Unfortunately you can't install programs. but Google seems to have you covered with its web based document programs. Not the best but it's something.
It's a computer for anyone to use at any time which is great, but it's limited because of its available apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34