Linux on the Samsung 3

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
For those interested in such things, I've got Linux running on my Samsung ARM

maci90.jpg

My method was chrUbuntu loaded to an SD card so I could avoid making any changes to the system itself.

And here is a super useful website dedicated entirely to making Ubuntu work on the Samsung 3

Unity was a little sluggish so I went to XFCE right away.
This tutorial solved the touchpad issues
I have not attempted to fix the audio yet though

Speed is decent but it remains a little buggy. My keyboard sometimes behaves erratically so I'll have to look into that. Load time is a bit sluggish vs. booting to Chrome and user accounts don't seem to work quite right.

By the way, this was the easiest dual-boot I ever did. It WILL wipe the local storage on your Chromebook so make sure you have everything on Drive first but once you finish the administrative tasks and log back into Chrome OS, all of your settings are fetched right back. The Cloud really is terrific.

EDIT: April 07, 2013

After using chrUbuntu for awhile, I was disappointed by the performance. I never could get flash to work and rebooting to switch OSes was a pain, to say the least. Since then, I've tried crouton and I find the performance much better. For those who aren't technically inclined (like me) this tutorial is awesome.

When you are finished with this process, you can switch between an XFCE-powered Ubuntu desktop and Chrome OS by pressing SHIFT + CTRL + ALT + BACKARROW. It switches on the fly and is pretty fast. A few caveats if you try:

After installing Ubuntu for the first time, make sure to disable the XFCE screensaver. All kinds of weird things happen if the screensaver triggers while you're working in Chrome OS. Open a terminal and run both of these:

sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras

This will give you Synaptic Package Manager out of the box and get you set up for things like MP3 playback. If you're new to Ubuntu you might not remember Synaptic but before the software store came out, it was the main program you used to fetch apps. It isn't as user friendly as Ubuntu Software Center but it has a search function and entries have good descriptions so you know what you are installing and don't have to use the terminal for everything.

One thing I like about the crouton script and Craig Errington's tutorial is that it installs a very minimalist build of Ubuntu with XFCE so there isn't a lot of junk clogging up your system like you'll get with a chrUbuntu build.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer