Samsung Chromebook Video Issues

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
hey everyone,

so I'm thinking about getting the $250 samsung chromebook. i got one for my dad a few months ago and for the most part it's absolutely perfect. the only major issue he's had, however, is some web based video doesn't work. one example is he likes wrestling (i know, ridiculous), and the the WWE's website video never loads (pretty sure it's flash based and i tried clearing his flash cache and everything, nothing seems to work). I think he also had problems playing trailers on Fandango. I had gone online to try to find some help with this and found other people complaining but no solutions.

so i was wondering, I haven't messed with his chromebook in a while, so I thought I'd come on and ask... is web video still an issue that some people are seeing? are there any workarounds? has any recent chrome OS update fixed these issues? i'd love to get one for a personal machine to do stuff while i'm at work, and it just isn't the same doing it on my phone. reading news, watching videos, logging into forums and responding to messages, etc... all kind of not as easy / smooth an experience on a phone, and the chromebook seems like the perfect option.

thanks for your input.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
They have done improvements to pepper flash with the last couple of updates. A bunch of people on the Chromebooks community on Google+ were complaining about YouTube not working right for them since the last update though. I have the ARM myself and haven't had some of the issues with flash that some users are experiencing. If you have the option of testing it out on your dad's computer, I'd definitely recommend testing some of the sites you like to use to make sure nothing weird is going on because of the Samsung's ARM processor.

Acer recently released a refresh of the C7 that has longer battery life. Since it has an Intel chip it doesn't have some of the oddities that the Samsung chromebook tends to exhibit. That might be worth looking into too.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the response. yea tomorrow i'm actually gonna get a chance to check out my dads. if i'm noticing issues like that i'll check out the Acer... I think I remember reading that the Acer's trackpad isn't as nice as the Samsung though... Samsung just seems to be all around awesome on the usability side of things.

i'll definitely make sure to update his before checking it out too.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had issues with flash videos on my Chromebook. Since buying the Samsung last year, there have been several more Chromebooks released. I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and check them out. If the video playback is better on the HP, Toshiiba, or Asus, I'm going to pick up another one. The Samsung would have been perfect though if not for the video playback issue.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I can confirm that the C720 doesn't have the same video playback issues that the Samsung had. I am very happy.

I guess the difference is the Haswell processor. Before I get one, is HD 720p video on YouTube good? Does the video keep lagging?

Posted via Android Central App

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Keeping in mind that the original post is almost a year old, at this point I wouldn't buy a Samsung Chromebook Series 3 if you're looking for an 11.6" entry-level chromebook. The Acer 720 has better battery life, isn't that much heavier, and costs less (for the non-touchscreen model), the HP Chromebook 11 has a much better display and a micro USB charger (though it also has relatively poor battery life), weighs slightly less, and offers an LTE option, and the Toshiba Chromebook has a 13.3" display, weighs only 3.3 pounds (not bad for a 13.3" size laptop), and only costs $30 more.

Related to the above, I think Samsung should lower the MSRP on the Series 3 to $200. I also think their forthcoming chromebooks, especially the new 11.6" model, are being priced a little too high.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess the difference is the Haswell processor. Before I get one, is HD 720p video on YouTube good? Does the video keep lagging?

Not on 720p video. I watch YouTube at that resolution all the time and it is great. I haven't had any lagging with this Chromebook. When I went to BestBuy looking for a Chromebook, I tried all of them that they had on display; the HP, Toshiba, Samsung (which I already own), and the Acer C720. I liked the C720, regardless of price. I like the dark matte color. Some have complained about the keyboard. I love the keyboard. It feels really good to me. The battery life is the best. It is super snappy. Actually, the performance for all of the them with the exception of the Samsung seemed to be about the same. I have had my Acer for about two weeks and haven't had a hiccup yet. The machine flies. I would recommend it to anyone.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
- - - Updated - - -

Not on 720p video. I watch YouTube at that resolution all the time and it is great. I haven't had any lagging with this Chromebook. When I went to BestBuy looking for a Chromebook, I tried all of them that they had on display; the HP, Toshiba, Samsung (which I already own), and the Acer C720. I liked the C720, regardless of price. I like the dark matte color. Some have complained about the keyboard. I love the keyboard. It feels really good to me. The battery life is the best. It is super snappy. Actually, the performance for all of the them with the exception of the Samsung seemed to be about the same. I have had my Acer for about two weeks and haven't had a hiccup yet. The machine flies. I would recommend it to anyone.
I accepted a higher position at work while attempting to balance it with getting a degree; needless to say I haven't been around much. Really appreciate your response! I'm looking forward to trying out the C720P!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan