Noobs guide to rooting/romming your phone.

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
NOTE: THIS THREAD IS OBSOLETE. IT WILL STILL WORK, BUT GINGERBREAD HAS BEEN LEAKED TO OUR DEVICE. I WILL BE WORKING ON A FLASH TUTORIAL, THIS WEEKEND (10/20-10/21). If you can wait until then, I would.

First off, This guide will instruct on rooting by flashing a new ROM. If you are interested in simply rooting your phone, while staying with the stock rom, please visit this tutorial.

How To Root Samsung Continuum with SuperOneClick

Now, the gratuities. Thanks go to the following
1. IMNUTS for the 2.2.2 Froyo leak
2. Adrynalyne for the CWM kernel, and official CWM
3. T1231 For the Cleaned ROM that I will link in this tutorial
4. Several people who helped educate me on all this crap, when I was in your shoes. Those include, but are not limited to Trailblazer101, Ciscogee, and Pastorbennett.
All of these fine people can be found over here. Samsung Continuum - xda-developers

Next, the disclaimer. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your phone. This tutorial will work, if you follow it. If you have ANY doubts or questions, ask BEFORE you start the process. The link over to XDA contains a wealth of knowledge and many people ready and willing to help. And I am never more than a PM away. Also, this tutorial is designed to be used while you are taking the steps. If possible, I would advise printing it out and having it next to you. If not, then have the page up so you can come back to it as you proceed.

Finally, some definitions.
ROM: The operating system on your phone. No more, no less.
CWM: (Clockwork Mod Recovery) A program on your phone (one of several, but the most widely accepted and used) that boots in place of the ROM for purposes of installing, backing up and recovering your ROM and various modifications
Odin: A computer program that interacts with your phone when it is in download mode to install certain files
Kernel: The foundation of your ROM. It controls all of the most basic functions.
Recovery Kernel: The same thing, but for the recovery program (CWM)
Flashing: Installing a program. The term is used interchangeably with installing via CWM and via Odin.
Rooting: Rooting is not installing a rom. It is simply the means by which you gain 'root' access to your phone. Meaning you can do just about anything you want to it, for good or ill.

The advantages of rooting are that, as stated, you can do anything you want to your phone. Provided, of course, that the software (programs) exist to facilitate it. This is anything from completely changing the look and feel of it, to changing the kernel itself to speed it up, or save battery life.
The dangers, of course, are that you 'brick' your phone (make it unusable). And, that you completely void the factory warranty. it is up to you to decide if those risks are worth the reward.

Now, for the tutorial. Your test, will be whether or not you have an improved functional phone at the end.

What you will need:
Samsung Drivers. Samsung
Odin MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
CWM kernel http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30171389/cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.tar
CWM http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30171389/update.zip
EC07 Kernel http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30171389/ec07.tar
EC07 ROM http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30171389/ec07-deodex.zip

Ok. Lets get started.
1. install the samsung drivers onto your computer.
2, Take the update.zip that you downloaded (CWM) and EC07-deodexed.zip and place them on your sd card, not in any folders. Don't unzip or extract anything from them. simply drag and drop them, as is.
3. extract the Odin.zip contents into a folder where you can get to them (I leave them on my desktop) and open the program. Place the cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.tar in the PDA section of Odin by clicking on "PDA" and browsing for the file. DO NOT PUT IT IN PHONE SECTION.
4. place your phone into download mode by powering off, removing the battery, then holding the volume down button while plugging the phone into your usb port. You should get a yellow box in Odin with the word COM and a couple of numbers. If you don't have this, do not proceed. Your phone will show a yellow picture of an 'android' with a shovel in a caution sign. It will also say "Do not turn off target"
4. make sure auto reboot is UNCHECKED and click start. It should take less than a minute. You will see a green progress bar going across the box with the word 'Kernel' in it. Wait until it says 'RESET' before unplugging your phone
5. Reinstall your battery and reboot into recovery by holding the volume up, down and power button all at once. This will boot you into stock recovery.
6. Using the volume down and menu softkey to select (it won't be lit up. Just tap where it would be - firmly) select sdcard:update.zip This will switch you into CWM recovery.
7. again, using the volume keys to move the highlight, and POWER to select, go to backup/restore. Select it, then backup. scroll down to 'yes' and select it. Now is a good time to get a drink. You are backing up your current stock rom. After this, if you can get into recovery, you can always go back to stock.
8. using the back softkey, back up until you get to 'reboot system now' in CWM recovery and select it. Once your system has fully rebooted, power it back off.
9. Go back to Odin, and click 'RESET'. Then place the EC07.tar file in the PDA section the same way you placed the "cwm_adrynalyne_test4.tar" there. Once again, make sure you DO NOT place it in PHONE SECTION. Then, make sure auto reboot is unchecked.
10. Place your phone in download mode, again, using the same method as above. And ensure that you get the 'com' before you proceed.
11. click start. This will install the kernel and modem for EC07. Again, it should be done in less than a minute. It will hang on "MODEM' for a few seconds, don't be alarmed. This is normal.
12, After you get "pass" and "reset", unplug your phone, and reboot into recovery, using the same 3 finger method. Ensure you have "RESET" BEFORE you unplug your phone. Don't get eager, now. :)
13, apply sdcard:update.zip to get into cwm the same as above, but this time scroll down to 'install .zip from sdcard' once you are in CWM
14., select 'choose zip from sd card' and scroll down to 'EC07.zip', then select it, then yes. This will take a minute or so to install.
15. use your back key to back out to the main CWM menu, then go down to 'advanced' and select it.
16. Select wipe dalvik cache' and yes. this should be pretty quick (Your dalvik cache does not wipe your apps. but it does wipe the interactions your apps have developed with your rom. Wiping this will prevent force close issues.)
17, back out to main CWM menu and select 'wipe cache partition' then yes.
18. If you have some time to kill, and want some extra insurance, go back to the CWM main menu, and select wipe data/factory reset. This WILL delete all of your apps, and personal info. It will NOT revert you back to stock. Not doing this will not cause a brick, so if you don't have contacts and what not backed up, don't worry about doing it.
19. Back out to CWM main menu, and select 'reboot system now.'
20. You will sit on the verizon splash screen for a while here. It's rebuilding your dalvik and doing final install. DO NOT PULL YOUR BATTERY. This can take 5-15 minutes. Leave it alone, grab a drink, or lunch, or harass a loved one if they are available.,. WALK AWAY.
21, After several eternities (so it will seem) your phone will finally finish booting. Go to Settings>about phone, and scroll down. You should see
firmware version: 2.2.2
Baseband version: S:i400.0.6V.ec06
Kernel: 2.6.32.9
Build number: SC H-I400 EC07
If it says all of that, then you have successfully flashed a prerooted rom. Congratulations. Now, start playing.
But first:Remember how you made that original back up? Reboot into recovery (3 finger method) select sdcard:update.zip, scroll down to backup and restore, then back up. Yeah. Do that. That way, when you screw up your rom due to a mod you tried or made (and you will, it's all part of learning), you have something to go back to other than stock.

There is generally someone around in IRC as well. If you don't have a client, you can go to
webchat.feenode.net
and type #samsung-continuum into the 'channel' section.

Last edited:

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Worked excellent. Thank you for your help. :D

Not a problem. Now, come over to xda and get some of the awesomecthemes and hacks we've made :D

I'm at war with the world, cause i ain't never gonna sell my soul. No matter what, I can't be bought or sold. - Skillet

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmblk1p1 (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted

Try redownloading the test 4 file and Reflashing it. It sounds like the flash didn't take. Let me know if that doesn't work, and I'll do some research on it.

Either let me fly or give me death. Let my soul rest, or take my breath. - DMX

Last edited:

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmblk1p1 (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted

OK, this is sounding like something in the test4.tar didn't take. I would suggest redownloading the file and reflashing it. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can't find another solution for you.

thegearbox

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, did some reading and found out it's an SD Card issue. I needed a bigger one anyways and just formatted a new one and copied the data. This seemed to work. I did have to reload the first tar file twice when I needed it both times, but I got through it, thanks for the help.

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
No problem. Glad ya got it worked out. And thank you for actually helping yourself.

ukrkoz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
how long is update zip supposed to take to load in CWM mode? so far, it's been sitting on triangle with exclamation mark and droid forever. Odin works fine, green PASS and all that.

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
how long is update zip supposed to take to load in CWM mode? so far, it's been sitting on triangle with exclamation mark and droid forever. Odin works fine, green PASS and all that.

check your pm.

ukrkoz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
it's ok, keep your eyes on the road. I gave up.Odin worked fine, fortunately, phone did not brick, but anything into recovery modes does not appear to work. I can't resolve differences between stock recovery and CWM recovery, and how to switch between the 2. soft menu key does nothing, volume key simply scrolls up or down, like it should. I can see update zip in blue letters on the screen, but choosing it with power key puts phone into triangle with android screen forever.
I had none of this with my charge. Then again, Charge has buttons, not soft keys, and there were only 2 files to work with. Here, it's 2 Odin files, 2 CWM files, and dancing between Odin and CWM modes.
Sorry, I gave up... glad phone works, restoring it for wife.

ukrkoz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
now that I calmed down a bit

5. Reinstall your battery and reboot into recovery by holding the volume up, down and power button all at once. This will boot you into stock recovery.

what is stock recovery? AT WHAT POINT DO YOU LET GO OFF BUTTONS? when samsing logo appears? when stock recovery screen appears? if I let go off those 3 buttons when Samsung appears, phone simply boots into regular mode; if I keep holding them, Samsung keeps flashing, until it will eventually pop right into 4 lines of blue colored text, one of them saying update zip, or boot, or delete partition. I think, it pops straight into CWM mode
6. Using the volume down and menu softkey to select (it won't be lit up. Just tap where it would be - firmly) select sdcard:update.zip This will switch you into CWM recovery.

just can't make it happen. once again, how do I know which recovery mode phone is in?
7. again, using the volume keys to move the highlight, and POWER to select, go to backup/restore. Select it, then backup. scroll down to 'yes' and select it. Now is a good time to get a drink. You are backing up your current stock rom. After this, if you can get into recovery, you can always go back to stock.

what is supposed to show on display? mine goes into yellow triangle and little green droid fella. forever. there's no telling what and if it's even doing anything
8. using the back softkey, back up until you get to 'reboot system now' in CWM recovery and select it. Once your system has fully rebooted, power it back off.
how long it's supposed to take?
9. Go back to Odin, and click 'RESET'. Then place the EC07.tar file in the PDA section the same way you placed the "cwm_adrynalyne_test4.tar" there. Once again, make sure you DO NOT place it in PHONE SECTION. Then, make sure auto reboot is unchecked.
10. Place your phone in download mode, again, using the same method as above. And ensure that you get the 'com' before you proceed.
11. click start. This will install the kernel and modem for EC07. Again, it should be done in less than a minute. It will hang on "MODEM' for a few seconds, don't be alarmed. This is normal.

odin loads work fine. no problem here.
12, After you get "pass" and "reset", unplug your phone, and reboot into recovery, using the same 3 finger method. Ensure you have "RESET" BEFORE you unplug your phone. Don't get eager, now.
13, apply sdcard:update.zip to get into cwm the same as above, but this time scroll down to 'install .zip from sdcard' once you are in CWM
you get into CWM mode by applying update zip file?
14., select 'choose zip from sd card' and scroll down to 'EC07.zip', then select it, then yes. This will take a minute or so to install.

ok, sorry, I simply do not understand all zips and what to do with them.

to sum up, I do not think I am getting into right modes, considering that there is stock recovery and CWM recovery one. I think they differ by font color, one is yellow and one is blue.

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
now that I calmed down a bit

what is stock recovery? AT WHAT POINT DO YOU LET GO OFF BUTTONS? when samsing logo appears? when stock recovery screen appears? if I let go off those 3 buttons when Samsung appears, phone simply boots into regular mode; if I keep holding them, Samsung keeps flashing, until it will eventually pop right into 4 lines of blue colored text, one of them saying update zip, or boot, or delete partition. I think, it pops straight into CWM mode

just can't make it happen. once again, how do I know which recovery mode phone is in?

what is supposed to show on display? mine goes into yellow triangle and little green droid fella. forever. there's no telling what and if it's even doing anything
how long it's supposed to take?

odin loads work fine. no problem here.
12, After you get "pass" and "reset", unplug your phone, and reboot into recovery, using the same 3 finger method. Ensure you have "RESET" BEFORE you unplug your phone. Don't get eager, now.
you get into CWM mode by applying update zip file?

ok, sorry, I simply do not understand all zips and what to do with them.

to sum up, I do not think I am getting into right modes, considering that there is stock recovery and CWM recovery one. I think they differ by font color, one is yellow and one is blue.

Ok. Now that I'm shut down and have had chance to read...
1. The blue one is stock recovery (up top it should say recovery 2e). You select apply sd card update. Zip there, and it launches you into cwm recovery, which has red text. A couple of things: 1. Do you have the update. Zip on your sd card, and did you flash the adrynalyne test 4 before trying to get into cwm? If not, you won't be able to get into it. 2. I'm not sure why menu softkey won't work for you. But power isn't used to select until you get into cwm. Try using the camera button, and see if that works. That is the old select mapping. I THINK it was left intact. I'll reboot into recovery after I post this and confirm. As for how long you should hold down the three keys on boot, it should be til the samsung logo pops up. I'm not sure why it boots normal at that point. I've never seen the logo blink before going into recovery unless I was bootlooping. That concerns me a little, but if the phone is still capable of a normal boot, it's probably a display glitch. If you haven't totally given up on the idea of doing this, let me know when you have some free time ime tomorrow, and you can either call me or we can meet in irc. I have a pretty light run tomorrow, so I should be free to really help.

EDIT: ok, just rebooted into recovery. The camera mapping isn't there anymore. So, what we need to do is figure out why the softkeys aren't working for you. I'm assuming that you've pressed the general area of the menu key several times, in slightly different spots. It's a little finicky. If so, then you may want to try a fresh copy of the test 4 file. The mappings are in there. Either way, we can look at it tomorrow, if you are so inclined.

Last edited:

ukrkoz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
good early morning.
I shall give it 2nd try now. I have about 1.5 hr to do it, before gym time.
I'll re-download all files and try it again. like I said, my hunch was - I was not really in CWM recovery mode.
phone works fine so far, but all I accomplished yesterday was to factory restore it. surprisingly, battery chose to last much longer thereafter.
let me get to it one more time.
so, in case you read this, I have to get to RED screen to be able to install upgrade zip?

ukrkoz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
if i can make a suggestion..

in instructions on p.1, number programs to be installed, and then mark them accordingly in step by step guide. there are 2 x ECO and 2 x CWM. what I am suggesting is mark them
1. ECO;
2.ECO;
3. CWM;
4. CWM.
or
#1 ECO;
#2 ECO;
#1 CWM;
#2 CWM
and mention them as such in walkthrough. Should make it easier to comprehend which one is which and which one to use at particular step. Fair enough?

wildman9904

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
if i can make a suggestion..

in instructions on p.1, number programs to be installed, and then mark them accordingly in step by step guide. there are 2 x ECO and 2 x CWM. what I am suggesting is mark them
1. ECO;
2.ECO;
3. CWM;
4. CWM.
or
#1 ECO;
#2 ECO;
#1 CWM;
#2 CWM
and mention them as such in walkthrough. Should make it easier to comprehend which one is which and which one to use at particular step. Fair enough?

I'm not sure how much more I can differentiate between the files. And, to be honest, I don't think you are having an issue with the names. You seem to be putting all of the files where they go. As for your confusion between the interfaces on the two versions of cwm, i went over that last night.

ukrkoz

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
ok, it's final booting now. meaning - verizon log.

I am not sure yet if it all went well.

here's few observations

1. please, do color code manual mode screens, for ease of understanding which mode is a user in. red or blue
2. please, simplify walkthrough. It's written with best intentions, but there's too much verbage, and it can get confusing. Please, do not mention 2 different ECOs in the same sentence, as it IS confusing.
3. mention somewhere to be VERY careful when working with manual modes, AS BATTERY FALLS OUT OF CASE very easy.
4. this time, phone was super sensitive to any touch key or button. please, mention to NOT TOUCH KEYS OR BUTTONS when manipulating phone, esp if one has large hands, like mine.
5. please, mention somewhere to HAVE BATTERY CHARGED. I think, part of issue I had yesterday was due to battery being in yellow range on charge.
6. please, mention that in CWM mode there are several "install from zip" lines, and one needs to be careful to scroll down to the right one.

oh, and btw. phone rebooted. it all looks exactly the same as it did before, same home screen, etc. does not look any different from what it was before. can't tell..

ok, it is 2.2.2

I guess, I ASSUMED different. when I placed gummy on my Charge, it's all different. well, good news is - it's wife's phone and I DID NOT BRICK IT.

thank you for your help and personal support offer. mighty nice of you.

phone's charging now for Battery Calibration to kick in at 100%.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463