[KERNEL][5-10-2011]PeanutButta Jelly Time

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
This is a custom kernel for the Continuum. It's based off of the DL17 source provided from Samsung, but should work on DJ20 as well. There are a lot of changes to the stock kernel though, and I'll try to list them all.

Features
init.d support, from Adrynalyne, also requires busybox with run-parts support
Voodoo Sound (v9), from supercurio, use Voodoo Control App to adjust settings
Voodoo Lagfix, from supercurio and the Project Voodoo team, applies only to files labeled with voodoo5
Undervolted
Updated CPU scaling to reduce lag
Battery fix, from SirGatez, allows for the use of non-oem batteries
USB Mount fix, from SirGatez, prevents phone from mounting as a cd-rom drive
ThumbEE Support
Removed almost all debugging
Optimized compiler flags
Updated in 0423
Simple IO Scheduler
SDCard Read Fix
Tweaked TCP settings
Tweaked CFS
Updated in 0510
Voodoo Sound V8
Disabled custom boot animations (for real this time)
Switched to Linaro Toolchain for cross compiling
Removed shutdown animation from zip
Made flash script CWM 3.x compatible
Disable CD-ROM Mount (maybe?)
Voodoo Lagfix <-- FLASH WITH CAUTION
Updated in 0529
Voodoo Sound V9
Voodoo Lagfix should no longer convert /cache which caused market download problems

Known Issues
Video issues on boot, works fine after the system boots up though. Will work on fixing it, if I can find out the root cause.

Naming convention
novoodoo - kernel does not have Voodoo Lagfix
voodoo - kernel has Voodoo Lagfix, create /sdcard/vodooo/disable-lagfix to prevent filesystem conversion

Download at XDA

Thanks goes to DroidXcon, TrailBlazer102, Logan302, dfgged, and crazyknight

.zip files can be flashed with CWM Recovery, see here

If you like my work, feel free to donate to me. Alternatively, sign up for Dropbox via my referral link ;) Also, remember that none of this would really be possible without the generosity of DroidXcon, so you could donate to him as well.

If you would like to develop your own kernels, visit my Github

If you have any questions about how to flash the files, ask before flashing, not after. I have only attached the novoodoo version of the kernel to this post due to issues in the past with Voodoo on the Continuum. If you would like to test out the Voodoo version, PM me and I'll send you the kernel with voodoo. Be warned though that in the past, there were issues with people using voodoo lagifx.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried all of the kernels over and over and could get non of them to work. they all just hung on Samsung screen. Perhaps i am doing something wrong

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I updated the OP with a new kernel. The video issue is still there, can't figure out why though, but I'll look into it then, maybe this week? Also, I have only posted the no-voodoo version. If you would like to try the voodoo version, please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. I'm also going to work on getting the Continuum supported in Kernel Manager as well to make downloading/flashing a little easier.

zombiebot

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any feedback? I'd like to get the girl's continuum on a voodoo kernel too. I want to give her something stable because she isn't the most experienced troubleshooter.

randomman91

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So I put the novoodoo on my continuum and it would just boot up and then the screen would turn all static like and then shut down so I tried the voodoo one and the screen has static on it but it's doing something. A voice came through and said something about a backup operation and a partition. I don't know what it's doing cause this part of the screen is all messed up.

imnuts

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Updated kernels now available. Novooodoo really only see's Voodoo Sound v9. Voodoo has Voodoo Sound V9 and the cache partition should now also remain as rfs to try and prevent issues with Market downloads. As always, be cautious when flashing the voodoo kernel as it is not heavily tested.

StellaStargazer

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Updated kernels now available. Novooodoo really only see's Voodoo Sound v9. Voodoo has Voodoo Sound V9 and the cache partition should now also remain as rfs to try and prevent issues with Market downloads. As always, be cautious when flashing the voodoo kernel as it is not heavily tested.
Just popping in for an update... how is this running this now? Still having video issues? 'This girl would like to get a little Voodoo in her own Continuum' ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781