I recently bought a Galaxy Note 10+ specifically for the purpose of using Dex as a replacement for a failing laptop.

I have it attached to the HDMI port on a 24" BenQ monitor via a Levin USB Type C Hub. The Hub has two USB, a PD, TF, an Sd, and an HDMI port.

Dex only seems to activate on the monitor if I power the USB hub. All other ports are unusable (except for the HDMI of course). Practically all the videos that I watched on Youtube before going ahead with this setup were able to plug into the TV without powering their hubs and most of them also utilized their hubs ports for SD cards, USB etc.

What am I missing? Are there any specific TV/Monitor specifications or anything else I have missed that would allow me to 1/connect to the TV/Monitor without powering the hub, and 2/allow me to use the ports on my hub?
    12-25-2020 07:41 PM
    12-25-2020 10:40 PM
    Hi there. Yes I should be able to help. When I set up Dex using a hub, in order to make everything work I have to plug power into the PD port of the hub to power the phone and the peripherals. Otherwise there is not enough power in the phone to power anything in the other ports. You should not run Dex without power to your phone.

I don't know where other people are able to run theirs without power, unless they are seating their phones on top of a wireless charging pad. In that case you may be able to run the hub without using pd power, but the phone does need power in to properly power peripherals connected to a hub.
    mustang7757 and Ranjen617 like this.
    12-26-2020 05:04 PM
    Thanks for your response - Do the ports on your USB-C hub (other than the HDMI port) function? Can the USB port, for example, be used to power an external drive or power a keyboard or mouse to function with Dex?
    12-26-2020 05:32 PM
    When powered, yes the other ports do work. This is the hub I bought. I don't know if yours is similar to this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079N4ZT...cUvbUpU6901908
    12-26-2020 06:05 PM
    Oh I just thought, I am in the UK and our electricity is 240v whereas outside Europe most power is 110v. I am not sure if this makes a difference. Hopefully someone on here may know if that matters.
    12-26-2020 06:06 PM
    If you check the images in this post it clearly says the USB c port is for charging and it shows the hub connected to power while plugged into a phone for dexDex - Setup & Connection-screenshot_20201227-000800_samsung-20internet.jpeg
    12-26-2020 06:09 PM
    Thanks for your feedback. I am in the UK. The one I have been using is as follows:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delivery-microSD-Multiport-Adapter-MacBook/dp/B083DZ1X27/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Levin+USB+Type+C+Hub&qid=1609028971&sr=8-3

However, I cannot think of a reason why the ports on the hub won't function with the setup - do you have any insight? It's a shame Samsung hasn't released monitor or hub specifications that need to be met for compatibility.
    12-27-2020 06:48 AM
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I didn't get an email notification that you replied. As you can see from this image, the pd USB c port is for charging. So you do need to power this hub, like the one I bought. If you power the hub you should be able to use the peripherals. If you still can't it will need returning to amazon and maybe buy the one I linked to in a previous post. Dex - Setup & Connection-screenshot_20210102-061128_samsung-20internet.jpeg
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-02-2021 12:13 AM
    I have found Dex works with any monitor I have used with my phone. I am using a cheap one from Amazon and it works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PF8QM...cUvbUpU6904057
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-02-2021 12:15 AM
    Doesn't seem much else I can do except send the hub back and try another one I suppose - ok thanks for your responses
    01-04-2021 11:28 AM
    Doesn't seem much else I can do except send the hub back and try another one I suppose - ok thanks for your responses
    I think that is for the best. The one I posted above worked for me
    Philo Anthropos likes this.
    01-04-2021 12:01 PM
    I am putting a summary here to help anyone who may have the issue in the future - the issue has been resolved

The initial problem was as noted in the title of this post

Symptoms that constituted the problem
    1. the phone could charge as normal, 2. could connect via HDMI, 3. the hub could charge with a USB-C connection, 4. the hub would not accept USB 2, USB 3 & SD card connections.

My Troubleshooting efforts
    To date I followed the 1. Samsung troubleshooting advice on this issue, 2. airbrushed the ports as advised, 3. reset all setting, 4. master reset, 5. used multiple hubs, 6. adjusted a variety of USB settings and settings within developer options but issues still persisted

How it was resolved
    I contacted Samsung repairs and to cut a long story short the repairman said that the port on the phone delivered a limited functionality that would not necessarily be noticed in normal usage - he tested it and it came back as defective - they changed the port and it works as it should now - hope this helps someone & thanks to the contributors
    Kizzy Catwoman likes this.
    01-21-2021 06:56 AM
    I am putting a summary here to help anyone who may have the issue in the future - the issue has been resolved

1. the phone could charge as normal, 2. could connect via HDMI, 3. the hub could charge with a USB-C connection, 4. the hub would not accept USB 2, USB 3 & SD card connections.

To date I followed the 1. Samsung troubleshooting advice on this issue, 2. airbrushed the ports as advised, 3. reset all setting, 4. master reset, 5. used multiple hubs, 6. adjusted a variety of USB settings and settings within developer options but issues still persisted

How it was resolved
    I contacted Samsung repairs and to cut a long story short the repairman said that the port on the phone delivered a limited functionality that would not necessarily be noticed in normal usage - he tested it and it came back as defective - they changed the port and it works as it should now - hope this helps someone & thanks to the contributors🤗👍
    01-21-2021 06:56 AM

How it was resolved
    I contacted Samsung repairs and to cut a long story short the repairman said that the port on the phone delivered a limited functionality that would not necessarily be noticed in normal usage - he tested it and it came back as defective - they changed the port and it works as it should now - hope this helps someone & thanks to the contributors������������
    Thank you for this information. I am glad you got it fixed.
    01-23-2021 06:01 AM