Great DeX enhancements coming with One UI 5

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
One of the enhancements brought to DeX by One UI 5 is support for text correction in Samsung Keyboard for physical keyboards. No more spellchecker complaints (I hope)

Another welcome enhancement is to the task bar. Addition of a search dialog as well as the ability to customize the task bar.

From One UI beta change notes:

Added DeX notification icon

After opening the notification window, a red dot is displayed on the taskbar notification button so that you can be notified as soon as a new notification arrives.

Show mini-calendar in DeX taskbar

When you click a date in the taskbar, a mini-calendar is displayed, making it easy to check future events without opening the calendar app.

Supports Samsung keyboard functions even on external keyboards

Even when an external keyboard is connected, you can use Samsung keyboard functions such as emoji input and text editing.

More powerful search for my files

Choose whether to search all files or just the current folder. You can search only the file name, or you can also search for information within a file, such as specific words or location information of an image in a document.Once your search is complete, sort the results by name, date, size, or file type for easy viewing.

Improving digital wellness design

The design of Digital Wellbeing has been improved to make it easier to use functions such as usage time and app timer, and Sleep mode and Focus mode have been moved to the Bixby routine for more convenient use.

Last edited:

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
OK, received One UI 5 and there are some good features. First, all of the 4.1.1 enhancements remain. The Taskbar is now configurable, clicking on time and date in the Taskbar now opens up a pop-up calendar like Windows, click in that launches the full calendar. Some apps that didn't work before, like Hulu, now run in DeX. The GoodLock resolution stuff is now incorporated into One UI so no need for Multistar anymore in order to get 4k. There was a lot of discussion about how One UI 5 was going to enable 4k in DeX which got everyone's hopes up but what that really meant was what I just mentioned about Multistar. You have been able to get 4k using USB-C to USB-C connection to the monitor, that hasn't changed. HDMI Hubs which were only getting 1440p or 4k/30 remain like that.
It is stable on my Tab S8U and there are more changes which I'll add here as I get a chance.

My favorite update so far is the ability to flow the mouse down, which has been the biggest frustration for me in my setup with my tablet below my monitor... even after months of use, I still struggle daily with the lleft/right flow and now I don't even notice it.
Screenshot_20221201_125022_Samsung DeX home.jpg

Last edited:

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
DeX is the best feature of Samsung Android. It is the main reason that I stay with Samsung. It is great to see new features.

I hope they continue development and do not let it die.