Cannot boot device/cannot boot into recovery/not recognized in Download Mode

unonetsys

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP THIS POOR UNFORTUNATE SOUL....
My device is a Sprint Samsung Epic 4g.
I was running SleeperROM with a MTD partition map and had CWM v5.0.2.7
I downloaded TWRP 2.5 and then rebooted into CWM.
I flashed the TWRP and once it completed it said to reboot recovery. Within CWM menu I selected 'Reboot Recovery'. Nothing happened. So I proceeded to do a battery pull to manually boot into recovery.

>>When I attempt to boot into recovery, it just hangs at the SAMSUNGwww.samsung.com screen. I tried the manual recovery boot by holding down:
a. Both volume buttons+camera+power (which always worked by releasing buttons after second SAMSUNG screen flashes)
b. Voume down+camera+power.

>>Device hangs at SAMSUNGwww.samsung.com screen when I attempt booting device.

>>I am able to get device into Download Mode. But upon connecting to PC (Windows XP) , I get the USB Device Not Recognized flag.
Device Manager lists it as Unknown Device.

I have tried all USB ports. I installed a PCI USB 2.0 card as well. All USB ports give same result.

I have tried 2 of my USB cables, 2 of my roomate's USB cables, and 1 of my neighbor's USB cable.

I have installed and uninstalled then following several times:
Samsung_Mobile_Driver_V1.3.800_For_SPH-d700_Epic_4G
Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.14.0
Samsung_Usb_Drivers_x32
I tried getting drivers via PDANet, MobileGo, and Samsung Kies.

Heimdall's Zadig option lists device as Unknown Device, thus not possible.

I'm into my 8th hour of frustration. Any help would be appreciated.:(

niteNarmor

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I really hate to say this but it sounds to me like you have a soft brick which turned into a hard brick. The exact same thing happened to me no more than a month ago.

I took it to sprint for an exchange. As long as they can not get into recovery you will be fine. The use the same methods as we do.

Make sure you can't get into recovery by
  1. Power down unit
  2. Press and hold the volume down button
  3. Press power till logo appears
  4. Release power button

Also make sure your computer can not recognize download mode, just in case.

Everyone's experience is different but this is exactly what I did and received new device.

niteNarmor

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes they can see the ! Icon put if they are unable to use Odin (just like us) or what ever program they use then its fine. That's why you HAVE to make sure, everything does not work.
Just because you can get into DL mode does not mean you can use Odin. Sometimes if you soft brick, Odin will not see your device, more like your computer can not recognize your device.

niteNarmor

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I just read your post again. The only time you see "!" is when your in DL mode right?
That is the same as normal. That icon only represents your in DL mode. It does not mean you are rooted. Even the device manufacturers see that same "!" when they program.

Nihal Sood

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
for those whose computer cant recognise phn....jst download specific drivers according 2 ur phones....all will b f9...i also encountrd dis prob but now its fine after installing me phn's drivers..!!

Hrvoje Radman

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
i cant enter the download mode either. half a year ago i flashed a new rom, thinking it was the original one, it does look like and it really is gingerbread 2.3.6 but from the start the keyboard didnt work, so i replaced it with a play store ics one i have found, then soon after the phone started to work slow, sometimes it just wouldnt enter an app, thats when i would remove its battery and turn it on again. it became exhausting. also when i turn my phone on i see a triangle with ! inside it each time, on the page that had the tutorial i was flashing the rom from said it was normal, so i thought it was...i guess it is not, now i want to put the official firmware but i cant get to download mode with the combination of volume home buttons, also rom is not rooted, and wont root so i cant install an app that goes to recovery mode. help!? please?!? :(

***device-samsung galaxy mini 2

niteNarmor

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i cant enter the download mode either. half a year ago i flashed a new rom, thinking it was the original one, it does look like and it really is gingerbread 2.3.6 but from the start the keyboard didnt work, so i replaced it with a play store ics one i have found, then soon after the phone started to work slow, sometimes it just wouldnt enter an app, thats when i would remove its battery and turn it on again. it became exhausting. also when i turn my phone on i see a triangle with ! inside it each time, on the page that had the tutorial i was flashing the rom from said it was normal, so i thought it was...i guess it is not, now i want to put the official firmware but i cant get to download mode with the combination of volume home buttons, also rom is not rooted, and wont root so i cant install an app that goes to recovery mode. help!? please?!? :(

***device-samsung galaxy mini 2

To get into download mode with the epic 4g you have to power down.
Slide keyboard out.
Press and hold the "1" button and power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy