Possible Water Damage

drewbiegirl

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I could use some advice.

Today, my Samsung Galaxy S3 got wet. It got rained on for a good amount of time (though mostly sprinkles). It was in a cheap case, nothing water resistant. When I opened it up there was some water under the back cover, but nothing behind the battery. The LDI's are still white. I don't think it got any water actually inside it, but I don't know for sure. Before searching online, I didn't know any better and put the battery back in. I had it in for 20 min or so and even made a phone call. It may have been been my imagination, but the phone seemed warm to the touch, so I took it apart again.

Here's my questions:
I bought 2 different brands of rice and both are "dusty". I'm worried about the dust getting in the tiny parts of my phone. I read two people saying that I could wrap it in paper towel to protect it before putting in in the rice, which I have done. But, would it really be effective this way? Do I need to worry about the dust getting inside my phone and causing it's own problems?

I thought about going to Home Depot and looking for the Silicone Packets or the Damp Rid that I read about.... Does anyone recommend this?

If the LDI's are still white... Then is there any damage for me to even worry about? Also, are there more than 2 on the S3, as that was all I saw - one on the battery and one on the phone.

Also, is rice necessary? It seems to me that it won't be getting any air covered in rice, and would be better off just airing out in the open, maybe even out in the sun for a little while.....

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I could use some advice.

Today, my Samsung Galaxy S3 got wet. It got rained on for a good amount of time (though mostly sprinkles). It was in a cheap case, nothing water resistant. When I opened it up there was some water under the back cover, but nothing behind the battery. The LDI's are still white. I don't think it got any water actually inside it, but I don't know for sure. Before searching online, I didn't know any better and put the battery back in. I had it in for 20 min or so and even made a phone call. It may have been been my imagination, but the phone seemed warm to the touch, so I took it apart again.

Here's my questions:
I bought 2 different brands of rice and both are "dusty". I'm worried about the dust getting in the tiny parts of my phone. I read two people saying that I could wrap it in paper towel to protect it before putting in in the rice, which I have done. But, would it really be effective this way? Do I need to worry about the dust getting inside my phone and causing it's own problems?

I thought about going to Home Depot and looking for the Silicone Packets or the Damp Rid that I read about.... Does anyone recommend this?

If the LDI's are still white... Then is there any damage for me to even worry about? Also, are there more than 2 on the S3, as that was all I saw - one on the battery and one on the phone.

Also, is rice necessary? It seems to me that it won't be getting any air covered in rice, and would be better off just airing out in the open, maybe even out in the sun for a little while.....

Welcome to the forums.
I know about the rice idea, and have heard it works, but no one to my knowledge has said anything about what kind/brand to use. The silica packets are probably another good way to remove moisture. Either way, keep the phone together and drop it in the rice or with a packet. Wait at least 12 to 24 hours.

As for your excessive heat issue, wait until the rice takes the water out and give it a full charge and see what happens.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I could use some advice.

Here's my questions:

The purpose of the rice or silica gel, and the advantage they have over air drying, is that they are super absorbent. The rice or silica will pull the humidity out of the air and cause any water in the phone to evaporate quicker and more completely.

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan