A5 - Battery drains very fast after Lollipop upgrade & even after downgrade to 4.4.4

kannankvs

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
My A5 was originally having 4.4.4 and the battery drain was not that severe earlier.
I upgraded to 5.0.2 and it started draining very fast. Even if there are no active APPs, it was draining 4 times faster when compared the previous software 4.4.4.
After reading some threads, which stated that downgrade back to 4.4.4. is a better solution, I downgraded the software to 4.4.4.
To my bad luck, it continues to drain very fast even after downgrade to 4.4.4.
When I looked into the battery usage, I see that Android System was consuming so much of battery.
Is there any good solution to get lesser battery drain (I am fine with any version of Android as long as the fast battery drain issue is resolved)?

Thanks & Regards,
Kannan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

kannankvs

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Unfortunately, I am unable to make it drain to 20-30% since I was always away from home and I hence I wanted my battery with full power.
But, I observed the categories that you mentioned. I see that CellStandby category was also consuming some x% and I see that TimeWithoutSignal was 96% on that. But, my phone was always having signal (with poor signal strength. I see only one or two bars in signal). My point is, this was the case even before my upgrade & downgrade. Before doing any changes in software, my battery was draining only 3% if I leave it idle for 8 hours in the night. But, now, it is draining 13% even if I leave it idle for same 8 hours (no new Apps, no new changes in App Settings), with the same signal quality (for sure, I can confirm that the signal strength is same for the last one month). Is there any better APP to find out more details about the battery drain? Is there any way to get an Android OS version that is better for battery?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was Time Without Signal that high before, or was it just the Cell Standby as a whole that was high? That's an unusually high percentage of Time Without Signal. If the signal is really that poor on a consistent basis, I wouldn't be surprised that the battery is draining.

kannankvs

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
I had not noticed this "Time without signal" earlier. I know that my mobile network signal is SAME as earlier. I keep the phone at the same place before and after my software change and the signal strength is same as earlier. Is there any other better way (or any APP) to check the battery drain issue? Unfortunately, I did not note down the exact Android version's build number of the original software that had come along with phone purchase. Is there any way to find the exact factory default Android version build number (for country India) for any phone and try to get the exact software to check?

kannankvs

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Special thanks for the forum and B.Diddy to help me on this.
I downgraded again to the very first build version of the phone (my phone was purchased after 2 months from the time it got launched and hence I am assuming that the first version was the default version that would have come with the phone).
Even after this downgrade, I see the same battery drain issue. For sure, some setting or something got automatically changed in the phone, which results in this problem.
The latest observation is as follows. Actually, phone was idle (during night time) for approximately 10 hours.
I charged to 100% and left it idle.
The status after 10 hours is as follows.
Charge is now 86%.
Device Idle is 29% with TimeOn as 10 hours 24 minutes.
Cell Standby is 23% with TimeOn as 10 hours 36 minutes and time without signal is 98% (this is something completely wrong. Phone was always having signal with atleast two points shown).
Screen is 19% TimeOn is 12 minutes only.
WiFi is 12% TimeOn is 10h 37m.
Android System 7%, Android OS 5%, WhatsApp 2%, com.And.SystemUi is 2%, MediaSever is 2%.
Total coming to 101%. (may be few numbers are rounded off to get more than 100%).

I guess, something is wrong w.r.t. DeviceIdle and CellStandby usages.
Any suggestion to find out the root cause of the issues?

NOTE: I will install GSam Battery Monitor and post the results later.

Thanks & Regards,
Kannan

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to see what the battery drain is like when the phone is in a strong signal area. I still think the problem stems from the poor signal in your area. The sudden change might be related to the tower itself.

What carrier do you have, and what region of the world are you in? Some carriers offer signal boosters for home, and they might be free--check with your carrier.

rejinmubarak

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I bought A5 2016 on last month. I have also the same issue of battery draining fast after android upgrade. Yesterday night my battery percentage was 47%. When I wake up it is showing 22%. Before upgrade I usually charge once in 2 days. But now I have to charge 2 times a day. Kindly help me.

Thanks & Regards,
Rejin Mubarak

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Please see my post #2 in this thread, and show us screenshots of those stats.

Erma Watson

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
Dear B. Diddy

I have issue with my A5 battery as well. My phone is shut down even the battery is 30 - 40%
Herein I attach screen shoot of the battery graph.

Please advise

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170122-151941.jpg
    Screenshot_20170122-151941.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member