Why does the battery life percentage drop from 5% to 0% in less than 30-40 sec?

AlphaAndroid

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Konnichiwaaa,guys!
I own a Samsung Galaxy A5 2016 and recently i've noticed while listening to music that my battery life percentage dropped from 5% to 0% in less than 30-40 sec, although i wouldn;t really mind about that, i feel a bit nervous and get a weird feeling it might become worse in the future,cause it happened almost 5-6 times till now.Can anyone explain what the reasons might be for that drain and give me some tips? Thanks in advance

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.... there are several reasons... but depending on the age of the phone, it could be a sign that your battery is beginning to show signs of degradation. As the batteries age, they start to lose their ability to hold a charge, and in particular, you may see it begin to rapidly discharge when it gets close to 0%... when the cell was new, the OEM usually sets 0% at a point where you won't see that rapid drop. But if its getting tired, that cliff starts to get closer and closer to the point where you'll see it above 0%..

Remember, 0% doesn't mean the battery is fully depleted... it is just the point where the phone can no long draw a usable charge (usually because the voltage is too low to allow for stable operation)

AlphaAndroid

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
mb, i should have said that the phone is 1 month old:p with marshmallow out of the box,so it's new,Thanks for the reply LeoRex. so is it a reason to be sad? or should i just keep using my phone without worrying?And what can i do for it?
I mostly use my phone for music,camera and browsing, No games.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well.. if everything else is OK... i.e. up until you hit 5%, you are getting expected life out of a charge... I wouldn't worry about it too much.

To be honest, you really shouldn't make a habit of running a phone down that low anyhow. Deep charge cycles (100 - 0 - 100) tend to stress the battery out and if you make it a habit, your battery will wear out a lot quicker. Most every phone I've owned starts to get twitchy when they've gone 5% or below... one would just up and power down at 5%.

AlphaAndroid

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
Thanks again for replying.I'll keep in mind what you told me about the battery.BTW would it be helpful to make 2-3 full discharges (the so called calibration) if i encounted a worse problem in the future or would the dial code *#0228# calibration work?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a fan of those 'calibration' discharges. I have yet to find any actual research to justify doing it. It won't harm your battery, of course, unless you start doing it every day. :) But the power handling system of the phone should be able to handle any shifts in the performance.

Just don't run it down to 5%. :)

AlphaAndroid

Apr 17, 2017
Visit site
I guess I'm an ***** to care so much about that thing:'(
It'll be better to keep enjoying the device and not care about it .
Thanks for your time man.Have a nice day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678