Huge video files with distortion near edges on my Samsung A50?

Balit

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I am having two issues with my Samsung A50:

(a) The video file sizes are huge, I cannot send them as attachment or even if I dont share them they eat up so much space. Is there a way to have the phone take small size videos? I have currently set both the front and rear video size to 16:9 HD, 1280x720 and high efficiency is off (because of the warning about playing on other devices). Are these settings the best I can do?

(b) Camera stretches anything near the edges. If I am taking a selfie and my face happens to be near the bottom edge then the camera will literally stretch my jaw so much that I look like a freak! As if my jaw is literally dropping! Same behavior for other edges.

Any advice or pointers to fix these two will be much appreciated. Thanks very much!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How are you trying to send them? MMS has a measly 1 MB (or thereabouts) file attachment size limit, and Gmail has a 25 MB limit per email. The best way to share large videos is to upload the video to your Google Photos or YouTube, then share the link privately.

Selfie cameras often suffer from barrel distortion near the edges, because they have try to make them more wide angle (since the distance between the subject and camera will by definition be relatively short -- about the length of the average arm).

Balit

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I found a solution to reduce video size : once recorded, edit the video to reduce resolution to 720x480. Which cuts the file size by more than half. Delete the original. But as you see, its quite tedious. Uploading online with original resolution still consumes mobile data.

Is it really not possible to directly shoot in SD mode (720x480)? Whats stopping samsung from giving this as an option in settings? Hard to believe I am the only one with this need.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't speak for Samsung, but the camera app on Pixel phones doesn't have that option, and I'm not sure if it ever had it. You could try searching the Play Store for a 3rd party camera app that can record at a lower resolution -- I recall seeing a few the last time I looked into this issue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles