I have a new Android Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 and the messages are set to MMS and I want to send my messages as SMS (as they are free on my package) Can I change the default and why is it so hard to find the access to do this sort of thing???
    Very frustrating!!
    04-09-2015 03:25 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I'm not aware of a setting for that. Text messages are sent as SMS, unless they contain media attachments (like photos, videos, or files), or unless they're group texts, in which case they're sent as MMS. Are you saying that plain text messages are sent as MMS (which means it requires mobile data to be turned on)?
    04-09-2015 06:44 PM
    Actually, I have the reverse question... is there a setting so as sending SMS messages over 160 characters will change to an MMS message instead of splitting the text message into multiple parts? Thanks!
    04-10-2015 03:11 PM
    It depends on the app in both cases. The default app doesn't allow you to change it. Most messaging apps allow you to set long messages to not be broken (MMS) or to not use MMS (be sent as multiple 160 character messages).
    04-16-2015 09:27 PM
    I also have that same Problem with my Samsung Galaxy Ace. When the text message is a bit long it is not transmitted and the "sending" function Shows up, but the message never is transmitted. After a few days this message is still "being sent" with never arriving. This happens each time I send a longer message. When I go into Status the message is marked as MMS and it seems that there is no way of changing the text message to sms. As this Gentleman before stated - it is very frustrating as there does not seem to be any instruction on the cell phone itself that can help you or Change the status. Ridiculous that a normal cell phone cannot even send a longer message. I think I bought the wrong brand.
    04-25-2015 04:03 AM
    This is still a major issue! Why is it every time I get a plain text message its another gawddam message that's been converted to mms I have to download just to read the ******* thing. WTF.
    09-17-2016 10:27 AM