South Korea's ETNews reports that Samsung will discontinue its Galaxy Alpha smartphone by early February 2015, "as soon as its inventory of materials is exhausted". The company will reportedly succeed it with the new Galaxy A series of smartphones, which continue the Alpha's peculiar design line, but settle for spec sheets that Samsung finds more favorable

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...t-alternatives

http://www.phonearena.com/news/So-lo...tep-in_id64180

Samsung set to discontinue Galaxy Alpha in favor of cheaper phones
    12-29-2014 11:18 AM
    Hmm. It always seemed to me that Samsung's ever growing stable of devices was going to be unsustainable at some point.
    12-31-2014 02:57 AM
    I always just figured the Alpha was just a showcase for Samsung to introduce their use of aluminum and little more. I'm not surprised they'd be putting it out to pasture.

from the S5 💸
    12-31-2014 06:48 AM
    I got mine so I'm happy.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Denisej, paul-c and Jacob Herman like this.
    12-31-2014 07:22 AM
    I was about to go to best buy today to get the alpha to replace my iphone4. Now I am not sure if I should just get the iphone6 or wait for the A5 as it is said to have less plastic than the alpha and the A5 looks pretty nice. Is there any potential issue getting the soon to be phased out phone like the alpha and get stuck with a 2-year contract?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-31-2014 01:32 PM
    I've been using the Alpha for the last 3 months and I couldn't be happier. I was also an iPhone user over 2 years ago before I moved over to Android and initially upgraded to an iPhone 6 after release before going back to the O2 store here in the UK and exchanging it for the Alpha.

2 Years on and I still find Apple's ecosystem limiting, frustrating and confusing.

I guess it all depends as to what ecosystem you are currently more invested in? I use more of Google's products such as gmail and YouTube so it makes more sense for me to stay with android.

The A5 is a big step down from the Alpha in terms of screen resolution and processor. Even the international Exynos variant which is the one I'm using has shown to hold it's weight with the big boys such as the Galaxy S5 when it came to benchmark tests. The Alpha is no mid ranger like the A5.

Samsung has already stated the Alpha will get Lollipop sometime in the next couple of months so there's no worries on that front.

Honestly the Alpha runs so well on 4.4 I couldn't care less about Lollipop at the moment.
    01-03-2015 06:43 AM
    I always just figured the Alpha was just a showcase for Samsung to introduce their use of aluminum and little more. I'm not surprised they'd be putting it out to pasture.

from the S5 💸
    This is exactly why I picked up the Alpha. I figured it wouldn't be around very long.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Alpha
    01-05-2015 06:18 PM
    The Samsung alpha is a great phone just priced a little high wish they would have priced it around $450 and it would have sold like hot cake

01-06-2015 10:41 AM
    Ah, but the answer to that is to marry someone rich and have them give it to you as a present!

01-06-2015 10:44 AM
    I picked up the edge instead but will check eBay for a used alpha for a back up

01-06-2015 10:44 AM