Problems with hibernation?

Torchi12

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
So I have 2 problems, I guess..

Sometimes the screen will just turn black instantly. At first I thought it was the "do nothing for x seconds and it will go into hibernation" thing but if it was it would make the screen darker first and then after an additional y seconds go into hibernation. But sometimes it just instantly turns black.
If I touch the screen nothing happends and if I press the home or power button the screen goes back to where I was (for example on a website in a browser) and not the lock screen (although I don't have a password or anything - it's just the 'drag your finger across the screen to unlock' thing).

Sometimes I will be on my phone before going to sleep and I'll press the power button once to make it go into hibernation and when I wake up my phone will be dead - as if It wasn't in hibernation - but the screen was off/black.
Sometimes it will do that, sometimes it wont and I don't understand why..

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of Android. While it gives you the great flexibility of doing anything possible, it also puts great responsibility on you to be careful what apps you install and use. On top of that, you have to deal with various bugs in the OEM ROM. But I suspect you have a rogue APP. Check the Usage app to see what drains your battery the most. Common trouble shooting tips are (1) clear your cache (2) factory reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree with foxbat121. In addition, make sure there isn't anything that generates a magnetic field near the phone--this might activate the phone's smartcover sensor, which turns the screen off and puts the phone to sleep.

When you say the phone is sometimes dead in the morning, do you mean it has powered off on its own? Or that it ran out of battery?

Steps to wipe the cache partition are here: HOW TO: Enter Recovery Mode on Samsung Galaxy Alpha - Complete Guide

Also, try Safe Mode, which disables all 3rd party apps. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then you know it's an app you installed that's causing problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwI0f-CUcA