How to avoid updates on Wifi / 5.0 lollipop?

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a new-in-box galaxy and turned it on/set it up yesterday with service. I have no complains with it.
I turned off a setting that disabled automatic updates when connected to wifi. Connected my phone to wifi and the phone started downloading and installing updates for "galaxy apps" and another that said "device management: downloading software update".
I would like to avoid putting 5.0 on my new phone that has zero issues, as I've heard the bugs are not all ironed out yet.
What are these updates and why are they installing by themselves when I've disallowed automatic updates on wifi?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Galaxy Apps is Samsung's own app store. Open it (the icon looks like a shopping bag with "Galaxy" on it), then go to its settings, and turn off the auto-update function. The other update was most likely a Samsung update, which is separate from the actual system updates pushed over-the-air by the carrier. Samsung updates often have to deal with security.

That being said, the only way to permanently avoid system updates is to root the phone and disable the system updater app.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Device Management is AT&T's OTA update app. So, it is downloading Lollipop update.

There is nothing to worry too much about the Lollipop update unless your phone won't work afterwards (see some posts about the recent app button malfunction). This is likely the last system update you will ever see on this phone.

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I think that 4.4.4 is probably better and more efficient, and it won't waste space of my limited remaining 25gb. Is this a forced update or will I have an option to decline the lollipop update? It seems like I was never offered any choice and it just wanted to start downloading and installing.
Is there even a root for the alpha? Alot of people were saying that it was too difficult on this phone or something. I don't want to brick a new phone either.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon