Cracked Screen... Which part to fix it?

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Should I junk this whole phone or try replacing the glass? I have come across two different types of replacement parts... one that is roughly $10 and is called 'outer glass' (ebay item 221814008464) and one that is $100+ (ebay item 321790834893) and has a digitizer and cables hanging off the back. Is it possible to tell which one may fix my phone? Attached is a picture of my miserable phone.

Attachments

• DSC_7400.jpg
    DSC_7400.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 7

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
If the area the crack is in can still be manipulated with no problems then only the glass is cracked. If you can't do anything in that area, the digitizer is kaput!

Does the entire screen work as it should other than the crack? If the answer is yes, then your digitizer isn't broken.

Word of caution, some people have damaged their digitizer trying to remove the glass screen. YMMV, so take care and go slow... or take it to a repair shop!

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Functionally, it seems to be working just fine. The crack marks seem to just be cosmetic on the top layer. Based on the videos I am seeing online, it looks like just as much of a pain to repair the glass as replacing the whole unit though? Are you really supposed to scrape the old glass off with knives, then glue it back on under the glass? If you have any videos of this feel free to share..

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Functionally, it seems to be working just fine. The crack marks seem to just be cosmetic on the top layer.
Then the digitizer should be ok.

Based on the videos I am seeing online, it looks like just as much of a pain to repair the glass as replacing the whole unit though?
Yes, I agree. I've replaced only one screen in my life on my old HTC and that was the entire screen. Never did just the glass.

Are you really supposed to scrape the old glass off with knives, then glue it back on under the glass?
I think it depends on the phone. Contact the ebay seller(s) and ask him some questions... Like what the screen comes with? Does it come with adhesive? Is it held on by Tape? If you ask the seller, I'm sure he'll be able to at least give you an idea what the repair will entail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz